Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
pip said:
A lot of the long term readers i know got into Discworld by recommendation rather than taking a chance on the books
I've only been able to get one person (that I know of) to read them by verbal recommendation. I have converted about a dozen by lending them copies. Unfortunately, I have to widen my social circle now as I've run out of people to lend them to. Most of the people I encounter socially are already reading Discworld, having found it by themselves.

Apr 27, 2013
Hello - first time poster long-time reader! Nobody seems to have been on this particular thread for a few months, so I wanted to give it a nudge and ask if anybody knows anything yet about a black cover for Snuff (and while we're at it, A Blink of the Screen)? Thought I'd ask here before I hassle Corgi. I hope with the new format UK Kirby/Kidby covers they haven't now abandoned the black ones.

Cheers all!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there FlexibleHead and welcome. :laugh:

The paperback is out, but I see no signs of the Black cover copy as yet.

Here are a couple of Amazon lists of the black covers available.

Black Covers 1
Black Covers 2

I hope that helps. It seems they take their time doing these, but they get done eventually. I doubt if Blink of the Screen will be available in Black, but you never know. :)

Apr 27, 2013
Well they did a black Good Omens, so I'm hopeful... There's at least Discworld IN Blink, where there's none in GO. Anyway, cheers. I might try emailing Corgi to see what I can find out. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Apr 27, 2013
And I quote (from Suzanne at Transworld): "There is indeed a black edition of Snuff planned, but we don’t have any other black editions scheduled at the moment." So no indication of when it's happening, but it's at least on the way. Also confirmation that the black covers are continuing despite the re-brand of the others. So hooray!

Apr 27, 2013
So I'd been checking Amazon and not seeing it, but I stumbled upon the black cover edition of Snuff in Foyles yesterday, completely by accident. So for anyone like me who'd been waiting for it and was happily oblivious that it's been out for a month (!) the ISBN is 9780552166768. It doesn't seem to show up at all on Amazon if you search "Pratchett Snuff", but you'll get to it with the ISBN.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
funny that ages ago I think it was round about the 25 anniversary
I accidentally ordered a hardback black cover of the The colour of magic
I wanted the graphic novel, waterstones had their wires crossed

Jan 15, 2013
I don't care for the black covers - I don't actually dislike them, and I have no objection to the idea of doing 'classy' covers to attract readers who might mistake Discworld for children's books or 'zany' and 'wacky' based on the Josh Kirby covers. I just think that the photographic covers lack something.

I am still enormously fond of the Kirby covers - they're so iconic of the DW now. And I love Kidby's covers too, he really is a marvel for getting the characters right.

But I can see the need for something that doesn't look so genre-bound. Kidby's work isn't cartoony like Kirby's but just by dint of being an illustration on the front of a novel it immediately positions the books as 'fantasy' or 'for kids' and it's a shame that readers might miss out because they think that the series is just for those people. There's been a move in recent years to present 'serious' fantasy in less genre-fied covers (e.g. George R.R. Martin's Song Of Ice And Fire) and I do think Discworld could benefit from something like this in addition to our beloved Kirby/Kidby editions.

As an illustrator and designer, suffice to say I've never put much stock in 'never judge a book by its cover' :)

bigbrett

Dec 26, 2013
This thread is high in the Google results for people looking for the black cover editions of the Discworld series.

After I did a lot of searching, including some helpful comments in the thread, I have manged to find the ISBN numbers for all the black cover editions my collection was missing. Some of these only seem to show up on amazon by the ISBN number, not by searching by title.

To help anybody else looking for the back cover editions I have made a webpage at http://www.toxicwaster.com/discworld-black-covers.html it lists the ISBN-13 and ISBN-10 numbers for all black cover editions that are available and contains a link to each one on amazon.co.uk. I will keep it updated as and when any more are released. If anyone has any comments or corrections them let me know.

I hope this is useful to someone, it certainly would have been useful to me ;)

Cheers,

Brett

Slantaholic

Lance-Corporal
Jun 1, 2013
UK
www.fanfiction.net
Has anyone thought of removing all the hardback dust covers and leaving them bare?
I've picked up some sticky-back plastic in the sales, and I'm thinking of replacing all my covers and just having gold lettering atop of my Discworld bookshelf.
What do other people do with the dust covers? I've always left them on the books, but they're getting tatty and perhaps it would be best to cut them up and save the art.
*thinking*

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter