blade runner

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
in yet another scifi magazine bladerunner was voted the greatest scifi film ever, now i really do like bladerunner but i dont quite think its the greatest one ever and to be honest i cant think of one thats miles ahead of everything else. ive had a good think about this and cant decide, now ive gone from star wars to tron and from forbidden planet to attack of the fifty foot woman. anybody got any ideas???????

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think Avatar's right up there - Blade Runner's a great film (and better in some respects than the book which is quite rare as generally it's the other way around).

Philip Dick wasn't to know about the enormity of global warning back in '68, so the bleak LA of the film has a lot more resonance for modern audiences and the 'environmentals' are what made Avatar for me as well and of course that didn't have an excellent book to compete with at all. Star Wars is great but really it's not in the same class in that it's more fantasy and not really that adult either which is not something you could accuse BR of. My other nominee for best sci-fi for sheer impact is Alien - just the first one, the later ones were crap in comparison, but that was seriously serious as well as scary as hell way back then o_O I can't really make up my mind between the three but BR's not aged as well as Alien and Avatar's a really great effort at a really original conceptual alien planet with a smidge of a nod at Roger Dean of course... :laugh:

Nov 26, 2011
Below Sealevel.
The Andromeda Strain,Silent Running,The Thing(great music as always with John Carpenter),Westworld,Tron,The Ice Pirates(for comic SF),The Hidden,Predator(1&2),Event Horizon.

All good ones,as indeed are the Alien-series and the Star Trek movies of course.
Blade Runner is up there,but i also probably would not pick it as the best of all time.
Then again,i'm not sure i can give a best...
As with other things,it varies according to mood,recently having seen,etc.,etc.. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
How about 2001?

Blade Runner was good, but I actually preferred the book. There were so many versions of the movie that I'm not sure even the director knew which one was the director's cut. :laugh:

Alien and Aliens are both excellent movies and Silent Running is a good call.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
I'll throw The Abyss out there as well.

The special edition mind, not the theatrical version. You know, the one where the cute little watery aliens nearly wipe out humanity, but because of the love of one man merely decide to enslave us instead? :laugh:

When I first saw the SE as an adult after having grown up with with the theatrical version I was like "Wait, what?! ... DUDE!"

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Greatest science fiction film ever? Well, that's very subjective. If we're talking influential, none can have more influence than Metropolis. Without that, no Star Wars, no Blade Runner.

But what do I think is the greatest science fiction film of all time? This will take some thought...

There are two that I would nominate: Back to the Future, and The Matrix. Believe it or not, I got onto Back to the Future long before I got onto Doctor Who, and it perhaps established more of my interest in time travel and science fiction than any other work. And The Matrix, while derivative of Blade Runner and anime films, is nonetheless in a league of its own.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can I nominate Tank Girl? It is set in the future, and there's definite evidence of advanced cloning techniques (her boyfriend's a kangaroo).

I also like the original War of the Worlds, and to disqualify Star Wars would be shameful. Loved Alien as well.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
Blade Runner has Rutger Hauer in it, I'll vote for that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but my favourite sci-fi of all time is Star Trek - movies/series whatever, especially the original series and first movies.
I don't think they've made "the best sci-fi of all time" yet. Not until they make an Iain M Banks or China Mieville movie really really really well.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
Who's Wee Dug said:
Antig did you ever see this one on TV: The Crow Road (1992) – adapted for BBC TV in 1996.
I remember seeing bits of it, ages ago, before I read any Banks. I can't remember it, must go look it up, but it's his major sci-fi works I like best.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
One Word Movie

MOON

Greatest Sci fi movie ever Blade runner was fantastic but MOON is what sci fi should be tense good looking and plays with your mind all the way through

Directed by Ducan Jones (David bowies son

Its got an amazing set of actors and models and CGI are (Pardon the pun)

OUT OF THIS WORLD

Watch and you will see

PS Avatar is pochehontis with nice CGI work not a fan The only thing that was amazingly cool was the 3D it was the pinicle of its time

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Set, as in pair :laugh:

Solaris and Contact are another two i would add, despite both being polarizing (IE people hate them or love them)

And you can't leave out animated films. Akira is a beautiful mind **** of a movie. Ghost in the Shell has its followers. There's another one but i don't know if it can be called Sci-fi. Called Night On The Galactic Railroad. very trippy, very deep, and very emotional. And the trippyness isn't there for it's own sake, there is a point to it, and not a metophorical one either (Yeah, i'm looking at you Utena :devil: journey into womanhood my ass).

Nov 26, 2011
Below Sealevel.
Tonyblack said:
The best time travel film is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Mmmmm... :think:
:whistle: :laugh:
Made me think of another though,which ranks really high on my list :
The Time Machine of course! :laugh:
And then the 1960 version naturally. :mrgreen:

The Eloi and the Morlocks,hard to forget them.

Edited afterwards : Replaced the link to another 'trailer" as the previous official one was sadly removed.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Yeah, true. I couldn't think what was gonna happened after the reveal though. It's a testament to Sam Rockwell that I watched the film & didn't once think, Is he the only person in it? A really, really good bit of acting.

Because I should say something about Blade Runner. It's an incredibly mesmerising film. Rutger Hauer is the reason I've watched it many times. His death scene has got to be one of the all time great movie death's.

User Menu

Newsletter