blade runner

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
raptornx01 said:
Tonyblack said:
I enjoyed it too. But I think that once you've seen the twist in the plot, it loses something. o_O
did you see it coming, or was I the only one?

(and i'm usually dense to that kind of stuff)
Nah, I didn't see it (I was actually watching it on a flight from US to UK and couldn't see much of anything :laugh: ) but did realise that something wasn't right.

I'm usually pretty good with whodunits though. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Quatermass said:
Greatest science fiction film ever? Well, that's very subjective. If we're talking influential, none can have more influence than Metropolis. Without that, no Star Wars, no Blade Runner.
Gotta disagree with you there. By that reasoning, you could argue that Metropolis wouldn't have been possible with Meleis' (sp.) "Voyage to the Moon." As great as Metropolis is, it never started a stampede of similar dystopian SF movies immediately after it came out, and Fritz Lang never did anything like it ever again. Star Wars was far more influenced by the cheesy Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s and 40s and by Star Trek and Lost in Space, which were, in turn based more on the cheesy pulp SF space opera stories and novels of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Blade Runner was far more influenced by Stanley Kubrick's genius of mis-en-scene in 2001 and A Clockwork Orange than by Metropolis.

For me, 2001 is the best and most influential SF movie ever. Before it, most SF movies were either glorified space operas (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Forbidden Planet), invasion/monster movies (War of the Worlds, Godzilla, Them, and its ilk), or commie paranoia (Invasion of the Body Snatchers).

2001 was the first movie that made the science part of SF the central theme of the movie, relegating 'humanity' in a secondary role. In terms of realism, atmosphere, and intelligence, combined with slow pacing that truly mirrored what the monotony of space travel would be like, it changed the genre completely.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Willem said:
I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen Blade Runner. There's still hope though, I didn't see any of the Terminator films until about 3 years ago either..
Read the book! 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' by Philip K Dick. The film is stunning, but the story makes much more sense in the book. ;)

Nov 21, 2010
ramtopsman said:
One Word Movie

MOON

Greatest Sci fi movie ever Blade runner was fantastic but MOON is what sci fi should be tense good looking and plays with your mind all the way through

Directed by Ducan Jones (David bowies son
I did not know that! What was wrong with being called Zowie Bowie?? :laugh: Very good film too

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Its been taken down My croft.

In the top 3 for me is 2001 with the cold war still going strong in real time, and on board is a Russian played by Leonard Rossiter so no cold war and today we have now our own 2001 SPACE STATION good foresight on both parts.
Blade Runner directors cut, again a really insightful film loved it. and I forgot to put it back in my list
Star Wars, Magnificent 7 in space another film I really liked for the content, which both was taken of Seven Samuri,by Akira Kurosawa. edited to addMatrix, cyberpunk and nano techolgy for the masses.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
raptornx01 said:
Was that book adapted into something else as well? a movie, or episode of a series?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Not as far as I know. Although there have been spin-offs from the Blade Runner movie I think. o_O

Jammie02

Jun 2, 2014
I like Avatar, Blade Runner and most of dystopian movies. I have also created a list of my favourite movies at ranker. I hope other also like my choice and selection.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I'm not sure I'd call Avatar a Dystopian film. :think:
Earth a sh**-hole, humanity mostly b***ards...yep. Definitely dystopian. :laugh:

BTW, I have Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu-Ray now.

User Menu

Newsletter