Can anyone help please!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Claire

Jan 6, 2010
Hi I am new to this site but could really do with some help. I have been asked to read at my childs school to a group of year 3's and thought the wee free men would be a great starter. As this is a catholic school it does not get the regular funding that local authority schools get even though it does take alot of non catholic children. Does anyone know where I can get some free copies of the wee free men as we would like to distribute some to the children to read along with me. I thought that they would really enjoy the escapsim of this book along with the very funny humour (I know I did and I'm in my 40's)!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Thanks for reading this post. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Welcome to the site Claire :)

I'm not too sure about this but would your local library be able to assist, or maybe some of your local book clubs? Alternatively, have you thought about placing an ad in a local paper asking for old second-hand copies?

Sorry I can't me more helpful but good luck with your group. I'm sure the children will love it.

Claire

Jan 6, 2010
Thanks

I have posted a few adds on websites such as preloved and my next stop is the library but sometimes its better to ask the people in the know if they can help. Many thanks for your prompt reply and thanks for your advice. I have just finished wintersmith for the third time and don't get fed up with it. I think these kids are going to love the Wee big hag stories.

Claire

Jan 6, 2010
Again thanks

:eek: Great idea many thanks new you guys would come up with some good ideads keep them coming :)

Hmm, Tony knows Colin Smythe's email addy. I shall seek it out on another thread and add it here. He is Terry's Agent and would have All the low-down on how to accomplish this wonderful idea. Reading is too valuable to be bogged down by the system.

Big Props to you \o/ for the idea of using something as wonderful as The Wee Free Men to open young minds to the Multi-verse! *Claps loudly with Fervor*

Here it is... http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This site is actually owned by Transworld, Terry's publisher - but you'd have to contact them directly as I don't think they look in here too often. Good luck! I'd definitely say the library as they often carry Pratchetts there or can probably get them. Let us know how you get on. ;)

Oh and welcome to the site. :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Hi Claire

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but why not get an audio book of Wee Free Men and play it to them? If they like it, it may make them go out and buy the book and read it for themselves. (I'm assuming the main reason is to get the kids interested in reading.) :p

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:
This may seem like a silly suggestion, but why not get an audio book of Wee Free Men and play it to them? If they like it, it may make them go out and buy the book and read it for themselves. (I'm assuming the main reason is to get the kids interested in reading.) :p
Not meaning to argue with you pooh, there's nothing wrong with your suggestion ;) but as Claire is planning to read the book to the children anyway, wouldn't this be enough? I know you want to get the book for the children, but is this necessary? I remember story time at school as being a thrilling half hour, where the whole class shared the experience. I don't think I would have been as interested in reading if I was just given the book myself.

I hope they like the book Claire :laugh:

Claire

Jan 6, 2010
WOW

:laugh: You are all amazing thank you so much. With regards to the audio book, I really dont want to go down that route as my aim is to make it fun and possibly act out voices etc, I am going to take a large frying pan in with me for the start of the story, also I want children to be able to stop and start the story with me. We need the books as some children (as they all are) are more advanced in reading than others and I want to encourage the children to participate a bit further into the book. I was amazed at the lack of reading quality with some of the children and this is not down to the school but unfortunately, there does seem to be a lack of reading at home with some parents. I would stress I am not a teacher, I am a mum and want to help other kids not only increase their reading ability but also get them into the wonderful world of make believe. I will contact the various people you have suggested as once we have the books we can discuss them with other age groups and they have the option to read the book from the small school library.

Claire

Jan 6, 2010
Crivens

Aye I told the big jobbie at school about reading to the wee big hags and she said crivens what a good idea. Unfortunately can't seem to get an e-mail through on the link at transworld but will keep trying.

User Menu

Newsletter