Chapters in Discworld Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Just a thought - isn't Moist a little like a sort of skewed Discworld version of Phileas Fogg from Vernes' Around the World in 80 Days?

In that case the chapter headings would certainly fit into that sort of story. I do get that sort of feel with the Moist books. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've moved this thread from the Broken Drum Forum as I think it's a more suitable place for it. It's a subject that I'm sure people will want to return to again and again and it will be easier to find it there.

Tony. :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I took a leaf out of Batty's book and contacted the Oracle;

"They're more than just chapters. I suspect because he thought them appropriate for the story's shape - and he's taken a liking for the old Victorian style of describing the contents - though in his case in rather more cryptic form, which he enjoys. Does that satisfy??"

Colin Smythe

That explains the Moist books (but not Nation).

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
poohbcarrot said:
I took a leaf out of Batty's book and contacted the Oracle;

"They're more than just chapters. I suspect because he thought them appropriate for the story's shape - and he's taken a liking for the old Victorian style of describing the contents - though in his case in rather more cryptic form, which he enjoys. Does that satisfy??"

Colin Smythe

That explains the Moist books (but not Nation).
Well, of course. Pratchett continually experiments with styles, words, formatting and whatever he thinks works (or he enjoys just for the fun of it). As for Nation, of course it has chapters. It's both a young adult and a non-discworld novel. Incidentally, it has been named an Honor books for the Matthew Prinz Award this year--the American equivalent of the Carnegie award.

I must, however, take exception to your suggestion that Terry is at the mercy of his American publishers, by which I assume you mean Harper. Terry has had fans from the beginning in the US, and has sold more and more books (moving to larger publishers). But he has mob scene signings for all his US book tours, was the Guest of Honor at the 2004 Worldcon. There are chapters in the British editions of the children's books, just as in the American ones. And perhaps the reason that Pratchett's rise to fame in the US was slightly slower than in the UK (and the rest of the world) lies in the fact that he is an English writer, and by and large writes about the foibles and humorous aspects of life as he sees it around him--which explains why some of his puns (for example) have to be explain to non-Brits.

MattK

Lance-Corporal
Jul 2, 2009
Lancaster, PA
blog.mattkeen.com
I'm coming into this discussion way too late, and I don't really have anything of substance to add. But am I the only one who reads those chapter teasers in an old-timey radio voice? That sort of charismatic tone seems to fit with the character of Moist pretty well. It always reminded me of the "coming up after the break..." teasers from that era.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Tonyblack said:
It's interesting that he's done it with the two Moist books. This is a very old style and somewhat in fitting with the feel of the books. So maybe we'll see them on the Moist books and then no more. :laugh:
Perhaps it has more to do with the main character than UK /US editors.

Moist's life, then & now, is divided into chapters.

Tonyblack said:
As to Hollywood - there have been several attempts to buy the rights to the books by Hollywood. Terry either won't sell to them because they plan to change the stories too much, or they have been sold but nothing has happened yet. This is the case with several of the books.
Hollywood is a whore and nothing good can come from letting them get at his books. They will NOT be the same and the F word will be in every other sentence.

Hooray for Sir Terry and 'is convictions!!!!!!!! :Applause please: :Bows: :twisted:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Hollywodd keeps changing the ending of films - even those that are based on fact.
The enigma machine was captured by the British before America entered the war, for example, 'Titanic' was a betrayal of the memory of the crew as they did not pull a revolver on the passengers and try to save themselves, and Hollywood even wanted to make a film of The Battle of Hastings and asked if they could change the ending - as the wrong guy won!

I even remember a documentary on TV with Terry who recountered that Hollywood were talking about making a film of 'Mort', but asked if he could lose the Death character, as the Mid-West weren't ready for Death as an individual entity!

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Batty said:
Hollywodd keeps changing the ending of films - even those that are based on fact.

I even remember a documentary on TV with Terry who recountered that Hollywood were talking about making a film of 'Mort', but asked if he could lose the Death character, as the Mid-West weren't ready for Death as an individual entity!
On the theory that this thread has gone totally of the original point, but because your post, Batty, reminded me that young editors have been equally inclined to miss the point also. Tony Hillerman used to tell a story about an editor (his first) who looked at the first of the famous Joe Leaphorn (Navajo policeman) novels and said, "This is a pretty good mystery, but lose the Indians." :eek: :laugh:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I don't care about the use of chapters one way or another.

However, I don't really like the little tags put under the chapter titles in Going Postal.

However, they're easy to ignore.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohbcarrot said:
I seem to recall (though I could be wrong) J K Rowling's UK editors said no kid would read a massively long book but she stuck to her guns and refused to compromise. The rest is history.
The same J K Rowling who allowed the name of her first book to be changed for the American market? All writers have to bow to editorial pressure to some extent. Putting chapters in seems minor compared with changing the name of your book.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
I think chapters are fine. In fact they help when you only have a certain time to read in a day and going for one chapter helps, escp when you are laying in bed at night. It is easier to say I will read one chapter, then just the next page, then 30 pages later and half the night is gone you feel like a complete -ing idiot! :laugh:

It was a surprise in Going Postal and I thought it was fun to go back and look at the headers and see what it specifically referencing.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Dotsie said:
poohbcarrot said:
I seem to recall (though I could be wrong) J K Rowling's UK editors said no kid would read a massively long book but she stuck to her guns and refused to compromise. The rest is history.
The same J K Rowling who allowed the name of her first book to be changed for the American market? All writers have to bow to editorial pressure to some extent. Putting chapters in seems minor compared with changing the name of your book.
Bingo Dotsie! Thankyou.

J K Rowling didn't bow to UK editorial pressure, but to US EDITORIAL PRESSURE. Which is exactly my original point!

So supposing TP had to bow to US editorial pressure and put chapters in. As an act of rebellion he also includes little teasers to make HIS chapters different from everyone elses' chapters. Makes sense to me.

MattK

Lance-Corporal
Jul 2, 2009
Lancaster, PA
blog.mattkeen.com
I think this is getting a bit over-analyzed and speculative. Maybe he just wanted to try something different. Or maybe he thought it just fit with the style of the book. Either way, you can't blame a man for wanting to get outside of his normal routine.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohbcarrot said:
Dotsie said:
poohbcarrot said:
Bingo Dotsie! Thankyou.

J K Rowling didn't bow to UK editorial pressure, but to US EDITORIAL PRESSURE. Which is exactly my original point!

So supposing TP had to bow to US editorial pressure and put chapters in. As an act of rebellion he also includes little teasers to make HIS chapters different from everyone elses' chapters. Makes sense to me.
But your email from Colin Smythe seems to say the opposite to this. It says, from the way that I read it, that it was Terry's choice.

And if you use the Rowling example, she did change the US title but NOT the UK ones. ALL the Discworld books in the UK or the US have the chapters - why couldn't he (if her objected so strongly) leave the chapters out?

It makes a lot more sense that this was Terry's own decision. It sounds like you are trying to lay blame where there is none. :)

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
MattK said:
I think this is getting a bit over-analyzed and speculative. Maybe he just wanted to try something different. Or maybe he thought it just fit with the style of the book. Either way, you can't blame a man for wanting to get outside of his normal routine.
Aren't your second, third and last sentences "speculative"? :laugh:

MattK

Lance-Corporal
Jul 2, 2009
Lancaster, PA
blog.mattkeen.com
poohbcarrot said:
MattK said:
Aren't your second, third and last sentences "speculative"? :laugh:
Uh... well, you see... they're more what you'd call... inquisitive. :)

I actually thought for a good ten minutes on how to not make that contradiction and decided, after much internal debate, screw it. :)

User Menu

Newsletter