Childrens TV Time Travel

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I asked this before on another forum and got a load of blank memories in response. When I was a kid we had a lot of American comedy series on TV and one that I remembered that no one else did was called 'My Mother the Car' about a guy whose mother had been reincarnated as a vintage car. To this day I can still remember the theme song, but no one else had ever heard of it.

Anyone here remember it? o_O

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
that one slipped by me too - if it was on ITV then it may be a regional thingie and Harlech was a really rich region back then so maybe it wasn't on the network. I remember some obscure things like Nanny and the Professor which had Juliet Mills as a kind of non-magic 'modern' Mary Poppins and I Dream of Genie although that wasn't really for kids... :twisted:

caitsith

Lance-Constable
Sep 29, 2009
England
Lady Vetinari said:
I love Duckula and Dangermouse too. I have a DM DVD with an episode of Duckula on it ... Nanny and Igor were hilarious!
Nanny '' I'll get it'' The stuff she used to pull out of that sling !! HA HA ! Have to say Lady Vetinari, loving the sig ! Going a bit ga ga over it !! :laugh:

Thank you, Caitsith - I made it myself, though I'm not entirely happy with the Willy Wonka - he seems off-scale to the rest of them ... I love Johnny Depp and think he's a fantastic actor ... before we moved here he was filming and went into a shirt shop to look at shirts. The store owner said: "Hey you're Edward Scissorhands!" and his reply was: "Sssh, don't tell anyone!" wonderful attitude, he just wanted to be a normal person. That's why I love him!

Anyway ... when I have time I will find some links to Duckula and Dangermouse, some are on you.tube!

caitsith

Lance-Constable
Sep 29, 2009
England
Lady Vetinari said:
Thank you, Caitsith - I made it myself, though I'm not entirely happy with the Willy Wonka - he seems off-scale to the rest of them ... I love Johnny Depp and think he's a fantastic actor ... before we moved here he was filming and went into a shirt shop to look at shirts. The store owner said: "Hey you're Edward Scissorhands!" and his reply was: "Sssh, don't tell anyone!" wonderful attitude, he just wanted to be a normal person. That's why I love him!

Anyway ... when I have time I will find some links to Duckula and Dangermouse, some are on you.tube!
I can see what you mean but it's still fab! Yes,that is a wonderful attitude! WOW!! Looking forward to Duckula and Dangermouse !! (Goes off singin the theme tune) !!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Maid Marian and her Merry Men was BRILLIANT! And Tony Robinson never had a better role as the Sheriff :laugh: Well the Baldricks maybe but there never was an eviller Sheriff ;)

I do remember Superted but I was a little too old to watch him and didn't have a small child to use as an excuse to view.... :oops:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
mystmoon said:
Anyone remember Maid Marian and her Merry Men? My mum used to use me as an excuse to watch it!
I seem to remember some show called Superbear or Superteddy or something, about a teddy bear with superpowers (surprisingly!) Did anyone else catch it?
I liked Maid Marion as well - Danny John Jules (Cat from Red Dwarf) was in it.

I think you are thinking of Superted:

It was made by a Cardiff-based animation company. Actually they did a road safety advert that used to be shown a lot on TV and in it Superted and Spotty Man (voiced by Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee respectively) were crossing the road outside Cardiff Castle. :laugh:

Superted

Anyone remember Trapdoor? 8)

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
These are the TV shows I remember from my childhood.

(all images are links)

Darkwing Duck

The Smurfs

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Alvin & the Chipmunks

Beetlejuice

Duck Tales

The Real Ghostbusters

Inspector Gadget

The Littles

Thundercats

And, finally:

Silverhawks

In my town I didn't get Silverhawks until my dad bought and isntalled a TV antenna. Even then, there was a LOT of static. he used to complain that he'd get a headache whenever I watched the show. :laugh:

For those of you who liked Siverhawks, check this out:

User Menu

Newsletter