SPOILERS Colour of Magic - Wiki page

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

alowe

Oct 27, 2012
I'm just curious as to whether the audio book for The Colour of Magic has a different plot to the book?

On the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_of_Magic it states that the story ends when
Rincewind, Twoflower and Tethis the sea troll hijack the capsule in an attempt to escape and are launched off the Disc themselves.
But in the audio book Rincewind and Twoflower leave Tethis to be picked up by a bubble and are not accompanied by anyone else into the capsule.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I don't know how the abridged version of the audio book ends, but the unabridged ends the same as in the book.
And Tethis was shot with an arrow through the chest before then.
So in conclusion the Wiki entry is wrong. :eek: :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm trying to remember - isn't Twoflower the only person actually inside the capsule? o_O The Wiki article doesn't say they were all inside, does it?

alowe

Oct 27, 2012
Who's Wee Dug said:
And Tethis was shot with an arrow through the chest before then.
I have a terrible memory for names. Is Tethis the sea troll that finds Rincewind and Two Flower on the rim?
In the audio book he isn't shot through the chest with an arrow. I'm wondering if they simplify the audio book to fit it on the tape.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It may depend on whether you have the abridged or unabridged version. The unabridged version should be pretty muchword for word the same as the book. o_O

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
As Tony says the abridged versions read by Tony Robinson are cut by quite a bit to make them fit then drafted together, which changes the story for the worse. :| Tethis popped out of the luggage(he had been swallowed) when it arrived, before they got on the capsule.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Who's Wee Dug said:
As Tony says the abridged versions read by Tony Robinson are cut by quite a bit to make them fit then drafted together, which changes the story for the worse. :| Tethis popped out of the luggage(he had been swallowed) when it arrived, before they got on the capsule.
I thought that at the beginning of _The Light Fantastic_ Tethis wound up in a forest pool.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
That's what I thought as well! But I haven't checked my books, so I couldn't be sure. Maybe the change in pressure caused him to vapourise.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Sjoerd3000 said:
Tethis and Twoflower both go into the capsule, but Tethis isn't mentioned again in the Light Fantastic ;)
Just checked, He did get get shot with the arrow in the chest but he did not notice it and started to undo the latches with Twoflower the two of them jumped in and locked the hatch leaving Rincewind outside.

Had never looked at it for a while.

User Menu

Newsletter