Comedy

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

superfurryandy

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2009
Ena's Feld
Perdita X said:
My friends friend Sue writes Two Pints of Lager and Grown Ups (sadly I find it a bit trite, corny and laddish or that would be really cool claim to fame)

Superfurryandy - We are off to see Ivan Brackenbury's Hospital Radio tonight - Will let you know thumbs up or down. OH is quite hard to please comedy wise (if it's not Billy COnnolly that is )
Hmm, not a huge Two Pints fan, meself ;)

Ivan Brackenbury is quite amusing, though - saw him in Edinburgh last year. Hope you enjoyed the show!

I love The Mighty Boosh! The coconut people are awesome, it's the first show where I bought all of the series.
Blackadder, Vicar of Dibley and Father Ted were really good, just wish they were before my time, I've been watching them patchily on Youtube, but it's impossible to find whole episodes and not just clips.
I also like Scrubs, Big Bang Theory and Friends, but they're repeated so much on E4 that they've lost their edge.

I love The Goons... to be honest I am not much of a fan of modern comedy - though I will give Gavin and Stacey another go ... especially as it has the fantastically funny Rob Brydon in it.

One of my favourite scenes was when one of them asked another the time and he said: I got it writted down on a piece of paper, it say's 8.

The reply: I wish I had the time writted down on a piece of paper...

Oh and one of the sketches I am sure was based on my grandfather as Harry Secombe used to meet and talk to my grandfather when he was working on the trains. The scene mentions a 'right proper Charlie from the Carshalton Marshes' ... I think that's right ... anyway my grandfather was called Charles and he lived in the Carshalton, near some very marshy fields.

Oh and he used to give my grandad a bit of money to buy his kids sweets.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Doughnut Jimmy said:
janet said:
Going back further but I still love The Goon Show and anything the late Michael Bentine did would make me weep with laughter :laugh:
The Goons were great :)
Many moons ago, when I was still with the ex-boyfriend, he and I were to drive my mum and dad to a family "do".

I bought some cassettes (yes, it's that far back!!) of The Goon Show, and we played them in the car on the journey to/from.

We were all in hysterics!!

Oh dear, I think I'm off to Play.com.................. :oops: :rolleyes:

Jan 1, 2010
Lady V said:
Oh and one of the sketches I am sure was based on my grandfather as Harry Secombe used to meet and talk to my grandfather when he was working on the trains. The scene mentions a 'right proper Charlie from the Carshalton Marshes' ... I think that's right ... anyway my grandfather was called Charles and he lived in the Carshalton, near some very marshy fields.
Wow - what a wonderful bit of family history :laugh:

Can I pay you 5 pounds to move a piano from one room to another?

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Bouncy Castle said:
Doughnut Jimmy said:
janet said:
Going back further but I still love The Goon Show and anything the late Michael Bentine did would make me weep with laughter :laugh:
The Goons were great :)
Many moons ago, when I was still with the ex-boyfriend, he and I were to drive my mum and dad to a family "do".

I bought some cassettes (yes, it's that far back!!) of The Goon Show, and we played them in the car on the journey to/from.

We were all in hysterics!!

Oh dear, I think I'm off to Play.com.................. :oops: :rolleyes:
Also many years ago ( early 80s?) I would be driving late on a Friday evening for work and listening to the Michael Bentine radio show on the car radio (in those days it worked!). I would regularly have to stop the car to compose myself :laugh:
Unless you've heard the Mounted Police Bicycle School etc you won't have a clue what I mean.
It's worth checking BBC Radio 7 for repeats.

The Goons were indeed wonderful. I'm only recently discovering another old radio comedy show, "'Round the Horne" and have to say it's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Surprisingly daring as well, considering the time period it was recorded in. A more recent show, Ladies of Letters, has also had me snorting tea out of my nostrils on a regular basis.

As well as the telly shows everyone has mentioned previously, I was a huge fan of The Mark Thomas Comedy Product when it was on telly a few years ago. He's a deeply under appreciated comic and deserves far more screen time than he gets. If anyone else on the forum is a fan of Mark Thomas, then I'd recommend them to check out Mark Steele as well, if they've somehow missed him. Despite their presence on the Open University block of programming, The Mark Steele Lectures are really just a comedian riffing on the lives of important historical figures and well worth hunting out.

Big Train was also able to make me laugh so hard that I was in pain afterwards. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There's another radio show that I used to enjoy called 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' - it starred a lot of the Pythons and the Goodies as well as others. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter