Coronavirus Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 60

Berserk volume 23, by Kentaro Miura.

Once more, it’s time for me to wade through the blood-drenched pages of Berserk. But how would this latest volume fare? Let’s find out…

Even as Guts travels with Casca, he finds himself plagued not only by demons without, but demons within, and the latter drive him to actions that cause the infantile Casca to lose trust in him. Only the arrival of Farnese, Serpico and Isidro offers a solution, one the solitary swordsman might be desperate enough to take. Meanwhile, Griffith’s efforts to win over the hearts and minds of Midland are bearing fruit, with young nobleman and fighter Mule Wolflame joining Griffith’s cause after seeing Griffith’s efforts, not knowing of Griffith’s true evil…

Okay, so, as I’ve said before, Berserk is not for the faint-hearted. Indeed, there’s some rather dark scenes involving the Beast of Darkness, the manifestation of Guts’ dark side, that are hard to read, and feels contrived to put a wedge between Casca and Guts. In addition, there really isn’t much plot in this, and like the previous volume, it feels like a transition between story arcs.

However, there is still much to commend it. Guts accepting Isidro, Serpico and Farnese is a major step for the formerly solitary swordsman, and we get an insight into Farnese’s thoughts and doubts about her competence and usefulness. Seeing Griffith from the viewpoint of another character also really hammers home the dramatic irony, considering he’s the top villain of the series, and his inclusive policies for his army would be welcome under other circumstances.

Overall, while a step down from the previous volume, there’s still much to commend the series. I look forward to the next volume…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 61

The World of the Witcher by Marcin Batylda.

I have vague memories of reading the first translated volume of The Witcher series years ago, namely the short story anthology The Last Wish. However, this series has stuck in my mind enough for me to be interested in the world, and both the books and the games. How, then, would this compendium do?

Dandelion, poet, minstrel and longtime companion of Witcher Geralt of Rivia, has written up a compendium of his world. From a history composed by a dragon, to guides to Witchers and their prey contributed by veterans of their order, this book takes a look at the lore of the world they live in. Monsters, magic, and politics fill these pages, as does the exploits of Geralt himself…

As is often the case with books like this, they are often triumphs of style over substance. I’m also sure that a lot of information has been left out, which is a shame, as the lore of The Witcher is very rich, and could have filled a more substantial work without overstaying its welcome. Certainly, those without any familiarity with the franchise will definitely feel at sea.

However, it’s a very well-presented book, with many of the images culled from artwork for the games and comics. The conceit of Dandelion bringing in different people to write different sections or else cribbing from other works is very well-done, adding verisimilitude to the world, along with extracts from other works in the fictional universe. Plus, the information on display, while not as comprehensive as I had hoped, was still pretty damn good.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I intend to come back to the franchise at a later date, and this is probably my in for it…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 62

Berserk volume 24, by Kentaro Miura.

So, here I am with the next volume of Berserk, and it’s a good one. After all, it introduces properly one of my favourite characters from the series, the witch Schierke. But how well would it do?

On their journey, Guts and his companions stumble into a troll-infested wood. A mysterious young witch called Schierke intervenes, only to vanish as swiftly as she appears. An old man from nearby Enoch Village, Morgan, wishes to meet the witch he knew from his younger days to seek help against the attacking trolls, and soon, the travellers come across the residence of Schierke, and her mentor, the ancient witch Flora. Flora knows about Guts and Casca’s situation, but can she help them, or the villagers of Enoch?

As mentioned before, Berserk’s story is extremely dark and not for the faint of heart. Certainly, what trolls do to their captives seems excessive, even if it’s par for the course for Berserk. And there’s something about Flora’s exposition that isn’t quite as satisfying as I had hoped, though that may be for pacing reasons than a lack of information.

Still, it’s one of the best volumes so far. Besides elaborating on Schierke’s character after a brief appearance a couple of volumes ago, we also get some insight into both how the magic of the series works, as well as how the overlapping layers of reality do. The exposition is welcome after so many vague allusions, and Schierke’s disquiet at helping humans who distrust her kind helps add a layer of conflict.

Overall, this volume of Berserk, while not perfect by any means, was a marked improvement, to say nothing of introducing one of my favourite characters. Here’s looking forward to more good stuff to come…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 63

God of War: Lore & Legends by Rick Barba.

I remember years ago playing the first two God of War games for the PS2, finding them enjoyable, if ultraviolent and quite difficult, games that provided an interesting if unflattering take on Greek myth. Lately, I’ve tried the PS4 instalment of the series, and was struck by its more solemn and profound nature compared to its antecedents. I managed to get a lore book based on the game, but how well would I enjoy it?

Atreus, encouraged by his mother, filled his journal with many entries. Now, as what appears to be Fimbulwinter drags on, he organises these notes, reminiscing on the journey he and his father Kratos embarked on. From his childhood under his mother Faye, to the various stories he encountered on his journey with his father, Atreus comments on his words, while considering his hopes and fears for the future…

Much like The World of the Witcher, this book has problems of prioritising presentation over substance, and given how much shorter this book is compared to that, it makes things problematic. In addition, partly due to the spoilers for the game and partly due to the way the story runs roughshod over the usual perception of Norse myth, newcomers to God of War, specifically the PS4 game, are most definitely going to be at sea. I honestly do think there was a lot more they could have put into this book, with Atreus expanding on what he learned during the game, as well as more about Kratos and his past.

Still, for what it is, it’s a very beautiful and well-presented book, much like many others of its kind. The author, collaborating as he did with the game’s writers, captures Atreus’ voice perfectly, and that helps give this book something even The World of the Witcher lacks. Plus, we get some insight into Atreus’ thoughts after the game.

While not as substantial as I had hoped, this book was nonetheless an enjoyable look through the background of the recent God of War game. Now, I should really return to playing it anew…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 64

DIE volume 2: Split the Party, by Kieron Gillen.

After the first volume of DIE, I felt I needed to read more of the story. But how well would this dark take on the isekai genre work out? Let’s find out…

They may have stopped Sol, but the group of adventurers trapped in DIE are far from united. Chuck and Izzy have decided to remain in this world for differing reasons, putting them at odds with Ash, Matt and Angela, who decide that killing their former comrades will ensure they can go home. But their tasks are not straightforward, and fractures are deepening not just within the party, but within its members. And they have to deal with a Fallen Sol. DIE has many more secrets, and it may be older than they thought…

Okay, this volume, while not as rushed as the previous volume, nonetheless still feels like a rushed and abridged version of the story we should be getting. It feels like we’re not getting enough of the story to understand what’s going on, even with the need to preserve the mystery of the series. In addition, many of the characters, Chuck and Ash in particular, are getting increasingly unsympathetic in ways that really turn off my engagement with the story.

Still, the pacing feels improved, and we’re certainly getting more insight into the story, and even some intriguing mysteries around DIE. In addition, we have some heartbreaking and poignant moments with Matt and Angela. And I have to admit, Ash’s plan, even if I’m not quite sure of what the endgame entails, is quite an awe-inspiring one.

Overall, while not an overall improvement, this volume of DIE managed to get better pacing and interesting twists. Here’s hoping the next volume kicks it up a notch…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 65

The Ankh-Morpork Archives volume 2, by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs, and Paul Kidby.

The Ankh-Morpork Archives re-releases of the Discworld Diary materials can, for many fans, be an easy way to get the Discworld stuff that has gone out of print. But would this second volume prove to be good? Or just a cynical cash-grab?

More material is taken from the streets of Ankh-Morpork. From the annals of the City Watch and the Fool’s Guild, to the Reformed Vampyres League and the strange if down-to-earth wisdom of History Monk Lu-Tze and his inspiration Miss Cosmopilite, this book compiles the goings-on and trivia of these groups. Ankh-Morpork is an interesting place to live in with groups like this, in more ways than one…

Okay, once more, I have to say that this still feels like a cynical cash-grab. In addition, the material in here is, for the most part, not as interesting or as funny as in the previous one. The Fool’s Guild stuff isn’t quite that funny, even if that’s the point, and the vampire running gags about blood and the interchangeability of Ws and Vs gets old quickly.

Still, for what it’s worth, what’s here in terms of worldbuilding is pretty good. The City Watch stuff, while not as substantial as I had hoped, is still enjoyable, and so too is Lu-Tze’s observations, as well as the background on the Discworld’s various monasteries. Some of the other stuff is good too, and Paul Kidby’s work is superlative as always.

Overall, while a disappointing cash-grab, I did enjoy this book. I just wish there was more to it…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 66

Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins volume 1, by Matthew Mercer and Matthew Colville, based on the web series.

One web series that I heard about was Critical Role. This series involves a group of actors best known for anime dubbing and video game voice work playing tabletop RPGs. Thus intrigued, I decided to give a comic adaptation about how the Vox Machina adventurers came together. But how would it do?

One day, they would save Tal’dorei. But first, they had to come together. Brutally cynical half-elf twins Vax’ildan and Vex’ahlia. Sardonic gnome bard Scanlan Shorthalt and simple-minded goliath warrior Grog Strongjaw. Eccentric half-elven druid Keyleth, and eloquent dragonborn scholar Tiberius Stormwind. Each of them investigating a mysterious curse in the ramshackle town of Stilben, one with a dark conspiracy behind it…

Part of the problem with reading this is that I am an admitted neophyte to the world of Critical Role, so I am somewhat at sea with these characters. A couple of said characters are quite obnoxious, especially Scanlan and Vex, even if the latter has more reason to than the former. I also feel that the story seems to abridge certain parts, though it may be my not being a fan of the series.

Still, it’s an entertaining enough story in spite of these faults. The artwork suits the mixture of fantasy and comedy very well, and the story is an entertaining one. Plus, brilliant and sharp dialogue, plus enjoyable characterisation, helped this along.

While perhaps not as good as it could be to non-fans of Critical Role, this was nonetheless an enjoyable work. I look forward to continuing it…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 67

Kingdom Hearts: The Novel by Tomoco Kanemaki.

When I first heard about the original video game Kingdom Hearts, I was sceptical of it working out. An official crossover between the Final Fantasy games and Disney? And yet, it did work out, and very well. The story of the first game was an excellent one, so, I had high hopes for this novelisation. Would they be fulfilled?

On the Destiny Islands, a trio of teenagers, seemingly living a carefree life, have become restless. Sora, Kairi and Riku opt to find a way to leave their world, only for it to be attacked by the Heartless, creatures of darkness, and they are scattered across the worlds. Sora wakes up in Traverse Town, learning he is the bearer of the legendary Keyblade, something Donald and Goofy, seeking their king, have been told to look out for. But can they find their friends?

Unfortunately, this book was a considerable letdown. With all the potential of the brilliant story of Kingdom Hearts, what we get is a bare-bones novelisation with beige prose that would make Terrance Dicks proud. We even get a number of the worlds cut, and while that can debatably be for time, I feel that it cheapens the story to have it so heavily abridged, and it could have been expanded to a couple of light novel volumes at least.

Still, for what it’s worth, even with the heavy abridgement, the game’s heartwarming and enjoyable story shines through. We also have the scenes that came from later editions of the game, and a number of charming images from Shiro Amano, illustrator of the manga. And the translation of the gameplay to text has been managed well in parts.

Although too heavily-abridged to be considered a good novelisation, this adaptation of Kingdom Hearts is fine enough. Just don’t expect much new stuff if you’re already familiar with the game…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 68

Mob Psycho 100 volume 1, by ONE.

Webcomic writer ONE is known for his intriguing stories and characters, though his artwork is considered somewhat crude. Known for One-Punch Man, he would go on to write Mob Psycho 100, a story exploring not-dissimilar themes, but from different angles. But how would this tale of espers and spirits turn out?

Psychic phenomena plague the world, and one of the most powerful espers is Shigeo Kageyama. Known as ‘Mob’ to those who know him for his bland, unassuming appearance, this young teenager suppresses his powers, and with them, his emotions, only using them to help out false psychic Arataka Reigen, who offers Mob what advice he can for life. Mob wants to be normal, but between a pushy ESP club at his high school and a mysterious cult, a normal life is not what he will get. But heaven help anyone who pushes him enough so that his emotional restraints break, and his power surges forth…

As mentioned in the preamble, Mob Psycho 100’s art is…somewhat on the crude side, unlike the more refined art used for the manga version of One-Punch Man. In addition, some of the humour doesn’t work for me. And Mob himself…he seems overly passive and apathetic to using his powers, even to help others, which doesn’t quite sit right with me, and Dimple’s tirade against Mob’s personality has major points.

Still, despite my disquiet with that part of his character, Mob himself is a far more engaging protagonist than Saitama, and Reigen, while annoying at times, seems invested in Mob’s well-being beyond the pragmatic. Mob’s relationship with the members of the Body Improvement Club is heartwarming, and his confrontation with the (LOL) Cult and its leader, Dimple, is brilliant in showcasing why Mob suppresses his power, even if only as a glimpse. Plus, the comedy can be on-point quite a bit of the time.

Overall, while not stellar, the first volume of Mob Psycho 100 was a decent enough start, hampered by crude artwork and some aspects of the main character. But maybe the next volumes will pick up…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 69

The World of Critical Role, by the cast of the web series and Liz Marsham.

I had tried getting into Critical Role previously. Certainly, a comic prequel to the series, while not quite as good as I had hoped, did whet my appetite and have me looking for more. But I took a risk getting a hold of a behind-the-scenes book of the web series. But would I like it, or regret it?

Some years ago, a group of voice actors met to play tabletop RPGs. Someone suggested livestreaming it online. Now, years later, Critical Role is an internet success story, something beloved by fans across the world as they thrill to the adventures of Vox Machina and the Mighty Nein. But what goes into these games, and what makes the cast tick? This book holds the answers…

Now, I’m sure one point against it would be that those unfamiliar with the series, and tabletop RPGs in general, would be at sea. In addition, given that the series spans hundreds of episodes that go for several hours, I’m sure fans of the series would think quite a lot has been left out. Certainly, those points can be a detriment.

And yet, I was still impressed with what was there. There’s lovely interviews with the cast of Critical Role, and I honestly didn’t know many titbits of the voice actors’ pasts until this book. The information about the series and the storyline, while by no means exhaustive, is enjoyable and intriguing enough for me to get into the series in earnest.

Overall, this book, while perhaps not that great for non-fans of the show, was still a superlative book. Here’s hoping I enjoy more of the series…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 70

Attack on Titan volume 1, by Hajime Isayama.

One of the most famous manga and anime franchises of all time is Attack on Titan. This post-apocalyptic fantasy series has gained a large variety of fans. But how well would it do with me?

For many years, humanity has been threatened with utter annihilation at the hands of the mysterious Titans, massive humanoids who show no signs of intelligence, just hunger for human flesh. Most of humanity cowers in a walled territory, supposedly safe from the Titans, until one massive Titan causes a breach in one of the walled cities that leads to countless deaths. Eren Yeager and his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman witness their mother’s demise, with Eren making a vow to take the fight to the Titans. Years later, Eren is now part of the military, and he intends to join the Survey Corps, making good on a promise that may end in his demise…

Okay, so, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. Honestly, this first volume, as is often the case with series like this, doesn’t have much in the way of plot, which is rather in on the ground in this volume, instead establishing a number of characters, but not quite devoting as much time as I would like to their development. The gruesome violence will doubtlessly turn many away from this story too.

Still, it does have potential. Even if I didn’t know what was coming, I doubt that the author would have been so ballsy as to kill off his main character at the end of the first volume, despite appearances, and Eren and Armin are both interesting. So too is the mystery around the Titans, as well as the hints of the crappy society the humans live in, and the massive look at the attack of the Titans at the beginning of the story shows how high the stakes are.

Overall, while not as good as I hoped, Attack on Titan’s initial instalment proved interesting enough for me to pursue further. Here’s hoping my notion is not misplaced…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 71

The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore.

I have to admit, of the famous Trinity of DC’s top superheroes, Wonder Woman is the one about which I know the least. But recently, I had heard of details of her past and her creator. I decided to give The Secret History of Wonder Woman a go, and see whether it would pique my interest further…

In 1941, Wonder Woman was created for DC Comics. But the history of the famous Amazonian warrior began decades before. Witness how William Moulton Marston, her creator, was born at a pivotal time during the fight for gender equality, and how his life and circumstances helped shape the superheroine he would create…

I’ll be perfectly honest, I was somewhat disappointed with this book. It’s not that it’s bad or anything, more that it felt dissatisfying. I had hoped for more emphasis on the history of the character and how Marston’s life influenced that, and while we did get that, the writing tone feels a little inconsistent, and even the more scandalous parts of his life pass by somewhat too soon.

However, I must admit, in many ways, this book succeeds quite well. The discussion of the suffragettes and later women’s rights movements is interesting, with it being rather depressing for me how comparatively recent those problems were, as does showing the context of how it influenced the character. And the book shows that, despite the rather childish nature of some of the stories, how surprisingly progressive Wonder Woman was for her day, at least while being written by Marston.

Overall, while not quite as exciting or interesting as I had hoped, this book did its job well enough. An intriguing look at the conception of one of the oldest and most famous superheroes of all time…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 72

Attack on Titan volume 2, by Hajime Isayama.

The initial volume of Attack on Titan disappointed me somewhat. However, I still felt intrigued enough by the series, including what I had read about future developments, to continue with the series. But would I be disappointed?

Eren Yeager has been eaten alive by a Titan, sacrificing himself to save Armin, who is traumatised. As the evacuation continues, their friend, Mikasa Ackerman, does her best to thin out the ranks of the Titans, reminiscing about how she met Eren, and became the resolute fighter she is today. But in their darkest hour, one of the Titans begins attacking its fellows, ignoring humans. Is this Titan friend or foe? And why is it helping humans?

Once more, there isn’t that much actual plot, just the battle for the walled town going south even more before the mysterious Titan’s appearance. To be honest, a lot of it seems to be going through clichés of military fiction, albeit modified to suit the plot of this manga. Plus, there’s altogether too many characters to track at this stage of the story, and I get the feeling a lot of them were just meant to be red shirts.

What does help elevate this volume is a greater emphasis on character development. We have some more insight into Mikasa’s past and why she thinks highly of Eren. In addition, the Titan turning on its fellows is a welcome development, as is the twist behind its nature, promising more in volumes to come. The action is also exciting and enjoyable.

Overall, the second volume of Attack on Titan improved greatly on the first. Here’s hoping that the next volume continues that trend…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 73

The Rising of the Shield Hero volume 1, by Aneko Yusagi.

Isekai is one of those genres that is a great illustration of Sturgeon’s Law. I decided to give one example of the genre, the infamous The Rising of the Shield Hero, a go. But how would this controversial story stack up?

Be careful what you wish for, lest you get it. Words to live by, as otaku Naofumi Iwatani finds out when he is transported to a fantasy world, chosen as a bearer of one of four legendary weapons. As the Shield Hero, he already has the odds stacked against him, despite living an otaku’s dream, given his seeming lack of offensive capability. But when his assigned companion Myne falsely accuses him of rape, and the entire kingdom turns on him, Naofumi hits rock bottom. Unable to trust anyone, save perhaps for Raphtalia, the slave demi-human girl he purchased after his fall from grace, Naofumi must help save this world to go home, even if he’d love nothing more than to see it burn…

Now, the story itself seems to be overly dark and edgy for the initial instalment. Certainly, the false rape accusation can be a bit on the nose in these days after the ‘Me Too’ movement, and Naofumi’s personality after his framing is rather too dark for my liking at times. In addition, there seems to be a few too many clichés of the genre involved, and I have to wonder how idiotic the other three heroes are.

Still, for what it’s worth, the story is a novel twist on the usual isekai fare, if one can withstand the dark beginning. Naofumi, once he gets over his darker elements, is an interesting character, as is Raphtalia, and the side-stories at the end of the book offer some insight into the backgrounds of the Spear Hero and Raphtalia herself. And the gaming elements are a surprisingly thought-out variation of what can be an annoying mechanic in some isekai series.

Overall, I enjoyed the first volume of The Rising of the Shield Hero. True, it’s overly dark beginnings may put some people off, but I feel it has promise for later…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 74

Black Clover volume 1, by Yuki Tabata.

Well, once more, I am trying out one of a plethora of shounen manga series. But would Black Clover satisfy me? Let’s find out…

In a world where everyone is born with the ability to use magic, orphan Asta is unique in his inability to use magic at all. And yet, that doesn’t stop him from having ambitions to become the Wizard King, the greatest mage in their kingdom. At first, he doesn’t seem to get a Grimoire, the sign that he is even capable of using it at all, but while helping his friend and rival Yuno fend off a vicious thief, he gains a mysterious and tattered Grimoire marked with a five-leafed clover. It grants him a sword that can negate magic or even reflect it, and he is soon chosen to join the rowdy Black Bull Magic Knights, where his true tests await…

Let’s face it, this story marks off many of the shounen manga clichés, it’s not funny. Asta comes across as basically the fantasy equivalent of Naruto, albeit less obnoxious, and it feels like a mash-up of a number of shounen manga series including Naruto. There’s also not a lot of plot happening, though that’s normal for the initial chapters of manga like this.

Still, for all the clichés and lack of plot so far, these first initial stages of the story are promising enough. Asta, despite his resemblance to Naruto, is at least more endearing and less obnoxious than Naruto was in the initial stages of his series, and his rival Yuno, is already leagues above many other shounen series rivals by dint of him actually being a decent friend to Asta. Plus, the character of Noelle Silva, while initially unlikeable, does show potential for later development.

Overall, this initial volume of Black Clover was, if nothing else, an entertaining romp. While packed full of clichés, it was at least entertaining…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 75

Arifureta: From Commonplace to the World’s Strongest volume 1, by Ryo Shirakome.

So, another day, another isekai book, and one that, like The Rising of the Shield Hero, has a decidedly dark twist to it. But how well would this one turn out? Well, let’s find out…

Hajime Nagumo is an otaku who is often bullied by most of his class, with one of the few bright spots being the friendship he has with Kaori Shirasaki, the class idol. But when their class is transported to another world and roped into being that world’s saviours, Hajime finds that his assigned role as Synergist is one of the weakest. While caught up in a deadly battle, one of Hajime’s bullies takes the opportunity to try to kill him through an engineered accident. But in the depths of the dungeon, Hajime has survived, and knowing he was betrayed, he intends to fight on his own, no matter who gets in his way.

There’s a few sticking points for this. While Hajime’s character taking a darker turn is to be expected, it does feel a bit too much like Naofumi from The Rising of the Shield Hero, albeit with less misogyny. In addition, and there’s no getting around this, Hajime and Yue’s relationship is very disquieting, given that she looks twelve, is actually centuries old, and she’s sexualised to an extremely disturbing degree. This will definitely put off a number of readers, and understandably so.

Still, I have to give props to the author for doing a lot more worldbuilding than many other isekai authors. In addition, Hajime and Yue are interesting characters, as is Kaori, and there’s some promising hints of a future storyline that explains why the class was brought to this world. And Hajime using his Synergist talents to the fullest actually act as a refreshing use of intelligence in series like this.

While it has a disturbing relationship, Arifureta is still worth the time to read, if only for an interesting take on the isekai genre, with good worldbuilding and intelligent use of powers. A shame it can’t go further than that...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 76

Attack on Titan volume 3, by Hajime Isayama.

So, here I am with the third volume of Attack on Titan. After the startling revelation of the second volume’s climax, I was looking forward to more from this series. But would this be borne out?

The mystery of the Titan that attacked the other Titans has been partially solved. For an unknown reason, Eren Yeager, shortly after being devoured by a Titan, transformed into one himself, an ability that soon has him in the crosshairs of jumpy and paranoid military officials. But when high-ranking officer Dot Pixis intervenes, he’s given Eren a choice, to use his power for an audacious plan. But will Eren be able to control that power for this mission?

Once more, one of the deficits of this series comes to the fore, showing many clichés prevalent in military fiction. Deserters, contrarians, it just gets aggravating. In addition, as noted with previous volumes, there seems to be a blizzard of characters introduced all at once, so much so as to prevent any real investment in their plight from the reader.

Still, this series is retaining my attention. Eren having these Titan-shifting abilities is a welcome twist, as is the hint behind the origins of this ability, and even his inability to control it seems good enough to help retain dramatic tension. The action scenes are exciting, and do well to keep things going throughout the volume.

Overall, this volume of Attack on Titan did well for me. Here’s hoping the next one is even better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 77

The Making of Alien, by JW Rinzler.

JW Rinzler’s books about the making of the original Star Wars trilogy are amongst the best of their kind. Rinzler has since done further making-of books for other science fiction films, including the science fiction-horror film Alien. But how would I enjoy it?

The making of Alien was not smooth sailing. From beginning as a modest script by those behind science fiction comedy film Dark Star, all the way to its troubled production in England, it was tumultuous. This book details how the film got made in spite of all these troubles, when egos clashed, and the thought of doing a more serious science fiction-horror movie wasn’t taken that seriously…

While many such making-of books are triumphs of style over substance, this one isn’t. However, unlike Rinzler’s previous books on the Star Wars films, I don’t feel as interested. I feel like there is less on the actual production itself and more on the pre-production woes which, while morbidly interesting to read about, ultimately do little for me. Even the clashes between members of the crew don’t really excite me as much.

Still, it’s a damned fine book. How complicated the ultimate journey to create the titular alien was a fascinating one, especially how much Ridley Scott fought to keep HR Giger on the production, not to mention some of the interesting casting choices, especially for Ripley. There’s plenty of interesting production stills and artwork, and the book’s presentation doesn’t overwhelm the amount of information presented either.

Overall, while not quite as good as I hoped, this book was a good one. It certainly shows Rinzler is good at showing the often problematic process of filmmaking…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 78

Attack on Titan volume 4, by Hajime Isayama.

Once more, I am delving into the dark world of Attack on Titan. But how well would this volume do? Let’s find out…

With Armin’s help, Eren regains the willpower to control the Titan he is part of, and the operation to take back Trost is a success. But there is little time to celebrate. While Eren is taken into custody, the past of the trainees of the Survey Corps is revealed, and how harsh training shaped them into who they were…

Once more, we have quite a lot of military fiction cliches going into this volume. Indeed, much of this volume is taken up with how Eren, his friends and comrades trained, which I feel should have been put in sooner into the story, something the anime adaptation certainly does. And it’s rather annoying how closely Levi Ackerman resembles Eren Yeager, causing some confusion between the two at certain points.

Still, the actual training scenes do allow for a bit more of investment into characters we’ve only seen in passing, and not just the main trio of friends. There’s also some humour, much-needed in a dark series like this, particularly in the form of Sasha Blouse. And there’s the sense of the story just beginning to pick up, even as one story arc ends.

Overall, this volume of Attack on Titan, while still cliched, did some needed character development. Here’s hoping the next ones show more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 79

The Phantom Atlas, by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Sometimes, the best finds with books come about serendipitously. I stumbled across The Phantom Atlas while searching for other books, and the concept intrigued me enough to buy it. But would it prove to be money wasted?

Mapping the world has proved to be a difficult business, and some places are added where they shouldn’t be. Whether it be through wishful thinking, honest mistakes, or intentional fraud, there have been places that have been drawn into the maps of the world, some of which have remained there for a surprisingly long time. This, then, is The Phantom Atlas, a romp through some of the more bizarre histories of cartography and geography…

I’ll be perfectly honest, I feel some parts of the book were lacking. Certainly, I think more could have been written about Atlantis, Lemuria, Mu or Thule, due to their fame (or rather infamy), and I also feel that the book is over too soon. There has to be more than could be written about these mistakes and fabrications that infested maps of the world for centuries.

Still, while over too soon and lacking in some information, this book is certainly not lacking in others. This is most definitely a book for QI viewers, an informative romp through the ignorance and fraudulence in older maps. It’s also amusing that it took until even the 21st Century to debunk a couple of these mythical places, and the book itself is well-presented as much as it is informative.

Overall, this book was a really enjoyable one. Not as substantial as I had hoped, but certainly a good romp through the errata of cartography…

User Menu

Newsletter