Cross Overs

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Do you ever see references to one TV show or movie in another?

I was just watching the final episode in the first series of Star Trek The Next Generation. In the episode the crew of the Enterprise find a derelict spacecraft from Earth with three people cryogenically frozon from 300 years in the past.

One of the three people, when unfrozen, is concerned about what became of her family and Councellor Troi uses the computer to track down her family tree. There is a series of screen shots of the family tree scrolling past and I suddenly saw a name I thought I recognised, so I rewound and advanced it frame by frame and sure enough:

I don't know if you can read the names on the left of the screen, but they start with William Hartnell and then list all the other Dr. Whos to Colin Baker. :laugh:

Have you seen anything like this before?

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Well spotted! You must have the eyesight of an eagle!

I can't make out the two names after Colin Baker, but I'm impressed that you noticed it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well it was a bit clearer on the DVD and the name Jon Pertwee seemed to jump out that's why I went back. But it was only on the screen for a very short time. :)

I guess it's one of those subconscious thinks like hearing your name in a crowded noisy room.

The name after Colin Baker seems to be "Mary Richards" whoever she is. Don't know what the other stuff says. o_O

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Those guys did well to have babies! No wonder their offspring wasn't very healthy (i remember the episode).

And well done Tony for the spot. My spots are all of the obvious homage-type references. Hot Fuzz is full of them.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
Those guys did well to have babies! No wonder their offspring wasn't very healthy (i remember the episode).

And well done Tony for the spot. My spots are all of the obvious homage-type references. Hot Fuzz is full of them.
I thought that about the babies - must be a Timelord thing. :laugh:

Jan 2, 2009
There are loads of things like that in films and TV, little homages slipped in specifically for us nitpickers to find!

For instance, in the Jackie Chan Rush Hour films (can't remember if it's in 2 or 3) the Paris one, in the extras you get a helicopter shot of Jackie and the baddie fighting on the Eiffel Tower. As it zooms in, you see they are fighting with lightsabres!

There are loads around.

Cheers, Vena

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes in series 1 of Heroes, Hiro's father played by George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) gets out of a car that has the reegistration number NCC 1701 - the registration of the Starship Enterprise. :laugh:

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Tonyblack said:
Yes in series 1 of Heroes, Hiro's father played by George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) gets out of a car that has the reegistration number NCC 1701 - the registration of the Starship Enterprise. :laugh:
I spotted that one too. Strangely when I mention it to people at work I get funny looks. I thought everyone knew that the Enterprises reg was NCC1701

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jason said:
Tonyblack said:
I spotted that one too. Strangely when I mention it to people at work I get funny looks. I thought everyone knew that the Enterprises reg was NCC1701
:laugh: Ever feel like a nerd? I know I do! :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
This morning Mr Dotsie was talking about logarithmic scales (the Richter scale, decibels etc), & I said "Yes! Just like with warp factors on Star Trek!" :laugh:

Luckily, Mr D just thinks I'm extra special :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Years ago my younger brother, when he was still in school, was asked (in Chemistry) to name three types of crystal in every day use. He said: sugar, salt and dilithium. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter