Digital Epub versions of the books warning

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

AnthonyB

Jun 24, 2009
I have a Sony Reader that goes most places with me so I wanted to get a digital copy (epub format) of all of Terry’s books that I already have so I have them to hand wherever I am. So far I have purchased six; I wish I had got around to reading the first couple I purchased before I got the others because then I wouldn’t have bought them. Unfortunately it looks like the publishers scanned in a paper copy of the books and then left it to the software to try its best to make sense of what it could make out. They didn’t even put it through a spell checker; they definitely didn’t give it to someone who knows the books to proof read. There are so many mistakes from spelling mistakes (including names being changed) to the layout being changed and other things that it spoils the books. I emailed both the shops I purchased from and they have said that when corrected versions come out mine will be replaced, I have also emailed the publisher but I have had no reply back. Until the books are redone I won’t be buying any more and I strongly recommend that no one else buys them, which is a real shame.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Welcome & thanks AnthonyB. I'm surprised you haven't been given a refund, I bet if you made a fuss you'd get your money back - after all, they can't really be said to be fit for purpose o_O

AnthonyB

Jun 24, 2009
I’m giving them a reasonable period to get the books replaced before I really kick off about a refund. One of the things I did ask for was the books to be removed from their sites as they are substandard and they are generally charging more than they are for a paperback copy, although I wasn’t really expecting them to actually do it.

AnthonyB

Jun 24, 2009
I wrote another email to Waterstone’s and WHSmith’s. Waterstone’s has refunded me and removed all of Terry’s books (epub versions only) from their site, hopefully Smiths will follow suit forcing the publishers to get their act together and do a proper job on Terry’s books (and possibly the books of the other authors they represent).

I think I should complain more often :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter