Dirk Gently

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Didn't see it last night but did when it was first on just before Christmas. Loved it and hope they make a series. :)

Even though I didn't recognise any locations it was nice to know it was filmed a few miles down the road in a different area of Bristol 8)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think I enjoyed it more than the books. But it was so long ago since I read the books and I found them so instantly forgettable, that I'm not sure how accurate the TV show was. Not very I suspect. ;)

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I never found the books to be funny.
I'd occasionally smile at something, but never understood why the reviews kept mentioning how laugh-out-loud funny the books were.

The TV adaption was better.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Hitch-Hikers was best on radio, before he tried to turn it into a book. I like Adams' work but he simply couldn't concentrate on the job in hand and this quite often showed. I thought the Dirk Gently program was remarkably true to the book which I wasn't expectling. Long Dark Teatime of the Soul would be almost impossible to film especially on the budget they appeared to have for the first one.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
LDTTOTS was the better of the two I think but it'd have to be a nostalgia piece now they've tarted up St Pancras again. The planes of reality stuff in the book were brilliant I thought and much better that the first DG story.

The BBC version of Hitch-hikers were genius, but the book series deteriorated after Restaurant at the end of the Universe and the last in particular were real stinkers unfortunately :(

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is one of my favourite books. :) I liked the radio adaptation, but I think both Dirk and Richard were miscast. I can imagine Stephen Fry delivering Dirk's lines much better than Harry Enfield did. :laugh:

I quite enjoyed the TV pilot episode (though again, Stephen Mangan is not at all how I imagine Dirk). I'll definitely be watching if it gets a series. :)

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I think the reason why people don't like the Dirk Gently books is tht they expected them to be of the same kind of silly, pythonesque (if you will forgive me for creating that word) humour, which they weren't. The humour is totally different, more mature, but it is still there.
And I definitely recommend to read "Last Chance To See", Adam's book about nearly extinct animals. It is not comical at all, or very rarely at best, but absolutely worth reading.

User Menu

Newsletter