Discworld E-Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I know there have been enquiries about the Discworld e-books in the past and their lack of availability. Here's a copy of an email I got this morning in reply to someone who emailled me, Colin Smythe and Transworld. This reply is from Transworld (copied and pasted from email).

Thank you for your email, which was forwarded to me by Colin Smythe. We are aware of the problem: some of Terry’s ebooks had to be temporarily suspended from sale because of quality problems, which meant that they had to be reprocessed. However, they should all be available again shortly. The good news is that we are releasing the new Terry Pratchett eBooks over the coming weeks and we hope to have at least half of the Discworld series available in time for Christmas, including the latest Discworld novel, Unseen Academicals. Also, we’ve set up a special discount offer for subscribers of Discworld Monthly – you can receive 25% off all Terry Pratchett’s eBooks until 31st December 2009 by visiting www.rbooks.co.uk/tpebooks and using the promotional code TPEBOOKS at the checkout.

Best regards

Marianne

Marianne Velmans
Publishing Director, Doubleday
Transworld Publishers

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
can i ask you what format these e-books are? pdf or mobipocket?
with a bookeen cybook gen3 could i read it? i'm not sure which e-book reader is best to buy...
any help?

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
there are two main ones crysania one is the sony ereader and the others the amazon kindle, but i would get a small web browser and just download them, the sony files are pdf :)

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
so far i've only seen the bookeen at the Mediaworld shop here in Genoa, and i know it can read pdf, not sure about other formats.

All discworld e-books are in pdf, Chris, or just the sony e-books? hope this is not a silly question :oops: this is my first escursion in the e-book world, until now i've always loves old-fashioned paper books, but now i've so much books i have to keep them in boxes somewhere else 'cause my apartment is too small :( e-books might be a good solution ;)

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Actually, the ebooks have been available for quite a while now (just not legal).

I use the ebooks for reference purposes (because you can search them), but, just to be fair, I've bought the regular books too.

Besides, I hate reading books online. :p

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
I never go anywhere without my MP3 player. The one I’ve got has a 16GB capacity. I’ve got a lot of albums on it in MP3 format but I’ve also uploaded some of my older CD’s onto my computer and transferred them to the MP3 player.

I could Google this question but why bother when I’m surrounded by TP Experts 8) .

Does anyone know if I can get any Terry Pratchett books in an audio format that I can upload onto my computer and then onto my MP3 player?

I have numerous hospital appointments looming and I’m only too aware that an old fella with white hair and a white beard sat alone laughing to himself will cause some consternation to the rest of the patients but what the heck.....with a face like mine it’s something I’ve got used to over the years :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, Morty. I have several TP audio books on my MP3 player that I bought on CD and uploaded using my PC to convert the files to MP3 files. :laugh:

Most of the books (possibly all of them) are available unabridged on CD. You might even find them at your local library if you want to listen to them before buying them. ;)

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Brilliant Tony thanks for getting back to me.
Some people I'll not mention any names POOH have been critisizing me for not reading enough.
I'll admit it I'm lazy and would be happier if someone would read them to me. However being old and knowing as much about the Interwebby as I do nothing on God's Earth is going to persuade me to put my credit card No onto any website.

Are these CD's available in the high steet of big towns......

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Morty said:
Are these CD's available in the high steet of big towns......
I'm sure they would be. If not, got into those high street shops and ask them to order them for you.

Here's a link to WH Smith online to get an idea of price. I'm sure they could order them from the actual store if you don't want to buy online. ;)

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for going to so much trouble for me Tony it was most kind of you.
You will probably have worked out by now that I'm not in a postion to work at the moment so I have to be very careful with money.

It looks like I'm going to have to be a good boy and ask Father Christmas to bring me some.....Mind you leaving it this late in the year to start being good really would be asking for a Christmas miracle.....PMSL!

Hang on.....Just had a brilliant idea.....I'll read the books out loud and record myself on my computer. Then I'll transfer the file to my MP3 Player.

Beware Genius on the forum

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
poohcarrot said:
Lord Morty! You've changed your name!! But haven't lost all your posts!!! :laugh:
I have friends in low places Pooh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Moderators Edit.
Morty you are banned

Merry Christmas.
Jason and Tony. :twisted:

User Menu

Newsletter