DISCWORLD IN CATALAN!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
hehe They've called the series "Refugi A'Tuin" (A'Tuin Haven). ;) And yes, "safanòria" is carrot in a catalan dialect (I actually didn't know it, I call it "pastanaga" :laugh:). As for the other badges, they say things like: "Who has enough with this reality? I read fantasy books!" or "In nine parallel universes out of ten, I read fantasy literature".

And here's a cute tote bag you can get when you buy both books:

Mx

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Soooo... "Guards! Guards!" and "Equal Rites" are now officially available in Catalan in bookshops all around Catalonia!!! :love:

I already read them and had a great time!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: (I can now say I've read them in three different languages! haha) The translator had to make some tough calls within little time, so I respect that a lot!!! It's just impossible to keep all the references! On the other hand, he used some catalan words that sound really old-fashioned to me. He told me some of them are still spoken in rural towns of Catalonia (where he is from) and he felt they suited the text, but it still felt odd to me... It's the first time I've had to use a dictionary while reading a Pratchett book. :p

Catalan fans are incredibly excited so far! We had been asking for this for such a long time... and now everything seems possible!!!

Mx

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
OK SO, fans massively bought "Equal Rites" and "Guards! Guards" in Catalan, so now they are almost out of stock!!! Mai Més is planning a 2nd edition!!! :love:

And... I have more news, because the following Discworld books in Catalan were officially announced the other day...

MORT,
SMALL GODS AND THE COLOUR OF MAGIC!

I think it's a brilliant choice! :cool: Oh, before you ask... Mort will be called "Morth" in Catalan because -just like in French- Death is called "mort" so we would have two characters with the same name.

You can also see the different logos for all the series... The Witches, the Night Watch, Death, Wizards, and Independent Books (like Small Gods). There will also be a logo for the Industrial Revolutions books (but it's still a secret!). What do you think??

Mx

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I don't know anything about Catalan, but even I was able to understand the names of the books. :) "Guardies! Guardies!" is my favourite. :mrgreen: "Igualtat de Ritus" ... rights? Rites? Ah, Equal Rites! :)

Mixa, I wouldn't be able to tell what "Deus Menuts" was, if you hadn't told us. "Deus" is "god" or "gods" ... but which one? Ah, Small Gods! :)

Just wondering, though: why translate "Mort" as "Morth"? Why not "Mortimer"? That's his name. *thinks*

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
hehehe well, Déu means God in Catalan, and its plural is deus.

As for Mortimer... I guess that's still going to be his name (probably Morthimer). But adding an H (that we actually don't pronounce) we can still use its short form (instead of saying "Mortimer" all the time, which sounds more formal).

Mx

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
"Deus Menuts" ... Small Gods! :)

I'm glad that when I started to study the Romans, I decided to study Latin a little. ;) But even so, this isn't hard to guess. Deus/Deo = "God", and after that it's easy ... ;)

User Menu

Newsletter