Dr Who question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
It begs the question, what the BBC would do (or The Moff would do) if the actor playing the Doctor died during production (car crash, or summat).

Would it finish off the show completely?

Not wishing car crashes on Matt Smith, Karen Gillan or Arthur Darvill, by the way. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Bouncy Castle said:
True. But that was years apart.

I was wondering what would happen if there was a sudden death halfway through filming.
They would have to think through things very quickly. Anywhere from actor substitution to a whole damned remount.

Roger Delgado, who played the original Master, died in a car crash while on his way to film a film in Turkey. This scuppered plans for Pertwee's last story, The Final Game, where it would be revealed that the Doctor and the Master are two aspects of the same Time Lord, and where the Master would die in a manner suggesting that he might have been saving the Doctor's life.

And when Frazer Hines came down with chickenpox in The Mind Robber, a bit of quick thinking (thanks to the weird nature of the story) allowed them to temporarily substitute Hines with Hamish Wilson.

Tonyblack said:
captainmeme said:
The last one seems to be a lot more violent. He nearly blows up the TARDIS!
Yes, but the Tardis regenerates as well.
That was probably one of his most violent regenerations, though to be fair, he was holding it in for so long. Certainly when the fifth Doctor regenerated into the sixth, the fifth had been holding his regeneration in for so long (strongly hinted by the cliffhanger for the third episode of The Caves of Androzani) that the sixth Doctor was an unstable lunatic who tried to throttle Peri...

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Bouncy Castle said:
True. But that was years apart.

I was wondering what would happen if there was a sudden death halfway through filming.
Bouncy if there was EVER a show where they COULD sub a completely different actor for a missing main lead..... Dr Who is it no?

And no to hoping this never happens.

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
I watched the regeneration episode last night. So sad, he didn't want to go poor darling :( I didn't cry...honestly...got something in my, that's all :cry: :oops:

Am gonna start on the first Matt Smith episode tomorrow...exited, wonder how he'll hold up.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm really impressed with Matt Smith's acting. He does 'serious' really well and, although he's only very young, he manages to convince that he's also a very great age. If that makes sense. o_O

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I'm really impressed with Matt Smith's acting. He does 'serious' really well and, although he's only very young, he manages to convince that he's also a very great age. If that makes sense. o_O
It does, but I have to say that I'm not impressed with Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor. He's a good Doctor, and all, but he hasn't actually impressed me.

Sep 25, 2010
Australia
I like Mr Smith :) because he reminds me of Patrick Troughton and he isn't always yelling and going on all the time.

I think that writer for last series was very good as well.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
pandasthumb said:
I think that writer for last series was very good as well.
Amen to that!

I saw Doctor Who from the Eccleston Doctor on and it always gave off just a little of a kid's show-vibe to me. Last season didn't. I enjoy Matt Smith more than Tennant too, less... manic.

Nov 21, 2010
It's Amy Pond, WannabeAngua. :laugh:

Think the storeis have been good, just getting a bit fed up with Daleks. Might be an age thing but now it's like..oh no... its a Dalek (said in monotone voice) instead of "OH NO It's the Dalek, quick, hide behind the sofa!!! "

User Menu

Newsletter