Dr Who question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I call the new daleks the hunch backed ipods.

Or orange flavour, vanilla flavour, blueberry flavour, strawberry flavour and lemon flavour.
Never got waht's so scary about daleks. They look like pepperpots and how can you conquer the universe without having opposable thumbs?

Maybe thay want to kill everything wiith thumbs.

Sure the weeping angels are scary but the only monster that gave me nightmares were the gasmask zombies. And it's not as if I was little when I watched those two episodes.

It was last week.

It was a petty bad nightmare, one of them. And some of the zombies had elephant trunks for some reason.

shegallivants

Lance-Corporal
Mar 22, 2011
Florence, Italy
I'm too afraid to watch the Matt Smiths :oops: because the 10th Doctor was my first doctor, and I'm afraid no one will measure up to his gorgeous lunacy :( I'm very strongly resistant to change, I think (which is ridiculous when you're watching Doctor Who!). I didn't even like any of the companions after Rose. ;)

How is Smith?

He's great, especially in later episodes where it seems more like he's doing his own thing rather than acting more like david tennant.

He's definatly quite a bit of a lunatic, at one point he keeps jumping back in time to give rory important info whilst holding a mop. And wearing a fez.

And that bit with the stripper cake.

And the whole of the episode the lodger.

He does serious well too, as someone mentioned on here, somewhere.

And, after all, he made sales of bow ties rise by 94%. That probably means something. Dunno what.

I suppose I may be a bit biased towards Matt (he was my first doctor) and I love david too (he's only a VERY CLOSE second) but I think he was a bit....uhh......right word.....right word...... too...... like this: :cry: sometimes.

Yeah, I don't like too much seiousness.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
bikkit said:
Sure the weeping angels are scary but the only monster that gave me nightmares were the gasmask zombies. And it's not as if I was little when I watched those two episodes.
It was, for me, the scariest episodes as well (are you my mummy? freaked me out) but I was really thinking about recurring opponents rather than singular appearances. Personally, I always found the Cybermen to be scarier than the Daleks when I was young.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yep the Cyber Men were scarier than the Daleks when I was a kid.

So...

If you could go to a garden centre and buy a life sized replica of a weeping angel for your garden, would you? ;)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
shegallivants said:
I'm too afraid to watch the Matt Smiths :oops: because the 10th Doctor was my first doctor, and I'm afraid no one will measure up to his gorgeous lunacy :( I'm very strongly resistant to change, I think (which is ridiculous when you're watching Doctor Who!). I didn't even like any of the companions after Rose. ;)

How is Smith?
I'm afraid to say that Patrick Troughton was my first Doctor although I didn't really get into the series until Jon Pertwee took over. Get used to change some of us have seen lots :laugh:

Sep 25, 2010
Australia
I think I started with John Pertwee, but I really remember Tom Baker the best and I can remember being absolutley terrified by that story where the hand of the statue comes alive and starts crawling around. Ohh and the Spiders. Oh oh and terror of the Autons really freaked me out - shop dummies coming to life bbbbbrrrrreeewwwjjjkkkkk!

I am told that there were multicoloured Daleks for the Peter Cushing Movie. My husband has a red remote control one that says 'people of London ... you will be exterrrrminated!'

I like the fact that the ironside dalek wanted to make me tea, but the rest of that episode was, frankly star wars. (and a christmas Carol was Star Trek).

but what ho, Broadsword to Danny boy!

Nov 21, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Yep the Cyber Men were scarier than the Daleks when I was a kid.

So...

If you could go to a garden centre and buy a life sized replica of a weeping angel for your garden, would you? ;)
That would be sooo cool! I'd get one. Although it might freak me out at night but could be a good anti burglary device, especially if you lit it up a bit at night. Tony, think you are on to something there. They are very scary, which is very clever isn't it because they don't really do anything, no need for fancy effects! I thought that about the 'Midnight' episode as well, brilliantly clever and featured a young Merlin to boot!

Penfold said:
It was, for me, the scariest episodes as well (are you my mummy? freaked me out) but I was really thinking about recurring opponents rather than singular appearances. Personally, I always found the Cybermen to be scarier than the Daleks when I was young.
Yep, Cybermen, way more scary. And my lad loves winding/freaky me out by imitating (very well) that childs haunting voice, "Are you my mummy". :eek:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
bikkit said:
Cybermen are definatly more scary than daleks.

whenever anybody mentions Midnight, I start copying them untill they freak out. :twisted:
I always thought that the creature from Midnight was a memetic (ie, conceptual) one.

While my personal favourite monster from the series is the Cybermen, I feel that the best done, particularly in their debut story and the story that revived them in the new series, were the 'Silurians', aka Earth Reptiles. Doctor Who and the Silurians by Malcolm Hulke and The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood by Chris Chibnall were the best stories to feature them because they portrayed them both sympathetically and as individual characters.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I don't care what they throw at us this season.... I CAN'T WAIT!

As my teen used to say at the end of EVERY episode last year...

"That was the best episode EVER!" :laugh:

Oh and my 23yr old was saying this afternoon.... in the preview for the new season.... did you see the space suits? THEY were in the library episode with the darkness.... rememeber?... thats when Rivers was there....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Silence will fall!

Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :laugh:
Reminds me of the phone call I had to make today.... except this one HAD a voice... an automaton voice.... you know.. those services with voice recognition...

Really important call... means I do or do not get money this week... and I got most of the way through and then a question came up with a yes or no answer and I didn't have a yes or no answer.... so I said "Question not applicable".... and it just KEPT REPEATING... "please answer yes or no" ARGH!!!... so then I kept repeating "Need operator" in a nice calm voice, because if your voice changes from the voice recognition one you recorded originally it goes into "voice not recognised; security alert" mode.....

FINALLY got an operator! By some fluke of fortune.....

User Menu

Newsletter