Dr Who question

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
But one of the scary things about the Cybermen and Daleks is that they have no real character. They are like the Borg in Star Trek - emotionless automatons determined to take away individuality. I think this is something that a lot of people can identify with and therefore fear - it's about being a faceless number with no voice. :laugh:
While I agree with the Cybermen having no character (well, except for the Cyberleaders of the 1980s stories, as played by David "EXCELLENT" Banks), I disagree about the Daleks.

At their best, Daleks try to break down individuality, but they are far too pedantic about racial purity. In fact, I reckon that if Daleks didn't have enemies to exterminate, they'd fall into civil war pretty swiftly. They have at least twice, although one was caused by the Doctor, and the other by Davros.

I think the key is that the Cybermen pretty much suppress all their ego with their emotion and differences, whereas Daleks are nothing but ego and emotion. In fact, there's a wonderful little line in the new series episode Doomsday where the Doctor talks to a Dalek about what it is like to be one.

See, you're inside your casing. Not feeling anything. Ever. From birth to death, locked inside a cold metal cage. Completely alone. ...That explains your voice. No wonder you scream...
In fact, that sort of hysteria due to isolation was part of the rationale behind the original Dalek voices, as portrayed by Peter Hawkins and David Graham. If anyone here has the DVD of The Dalek Invasion of Earth, look up the special feature Talking Daleks. And those two voice actors gave Daleks individual personalities. Hawkins usually played, in Graham's words, 'the guv'nor'.

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Of the two I think the cybermen are more scary than the daleks.
The daleks will exterminate you but the cybermen will cut and mould you into one of them, without emotions and soul (?), and afterwards you'll try to do the same to your friends and family.

I would much prefer the first option I think, at least it's quick and you wont be any danger to the ones you love afterwards.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
The forum has been playing up, and it has been sometimes slow to change other times had a time out error,and a topic I had seen to which I was going post in and now I can't find it even with a couple of searches. o_O and had some trouble logging in when I tabbed to another site strange, lost a logished post which I can't be bothered to do again. :(

User Menu

Newsletter