Drum Solo’s and any other solo’s except for Guitars

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Sax!!!!! :eek: 8) *melts*

Nooooooo! Organs!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

OK - I give in! I wasn't going to post in here or the other old rockers memorabilia threads but I'm a sucker for sax solos... :rolleyes:

This one has everything more or less so they're not solos as such but the drums, guitar and piano just meld and there's that lyrical almost feral sax winding in and out of it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u47h9fDGKxg

Plus you don't have to look at Bryan Ferry (something very repellent about him - especially when he moves o_O Definitely some snake in there... :devil: )

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Jan Van Quirm said:
OK - I give in! I wasn't going to post in here or the other old rockers memorabilia threads but I'm a sucker for sax solos... :rolleyes:
I have broad shoulders Jan so I don't mind being called old. Not sure how the others will take it :laugh:

If you're going to put posts on of that quality please will you continue to pop in from time to time.

Oh and no point sucking a sax you have to blow a sax :oops:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Depends on what sorta sax you got in front of you old chap. ;) :twisted:

On the age front I was mainly referring to the artistes - I apologise to Kladivo as I'm not so sure of his antiquity (although I'm guessing he won't see 30 or even 40 again) but I know I'm in the same age bracket as you and smartypants over in the land of the rising sun. 8)

We were the lucky ones who watched rock grow up and enter a 2nd childhood :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
...or this. Pretty intense words, don't you think Jan? 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_VbSExIg1E

"Restless Heart Syndrome"

I've got a really bad disease
It's got me begging on my hands and knees
So, take me to emergency
Cause something seems to be missing
Somebody take the pain away
It's like an ulcer bleeding in my brain
So send me to the pharmacy so I can lose my memory

I'm elated, medicated
Lord knows I tried to find a way to run away

I think they found another cure
For broken hearts and feeling insecure
You'd be surprised what I endure
What makes you feel so self-assured

I need to find a place to hide
You never know what could be waiting outside
The accidents that you could find
It's like some kind of suicide

So what ails you, is what impales you
I feel like I've been crucified to be satisfied

I'm a victim of my symptom
I am my own worst enemy
You're a victim of your symptom
You are your own worst enemy
Know your enemy

I'm elated, medicated
I am my own worst enemy
So what ails you is what impales you
You are your own worst enemy
You're a victim of the system

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Ye gods! - go emo on someone else smartypants :devil: :laugh:

- and take that! :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j435CrHnTTY (whoops! forgot to link!) :laugh:

We are young
heartache to heartache we stand
No promises no demands
Love is a battlefield.

We are strong
no-one can tell us we're wrong
Searching our hearts for so long
Both of us knowing
Love is a battlefield.

You're begging me to go
then making me stay -
Why do you hurt me so bad?
It would help me to know
do I stand in your way
Or am I the best thing you've had?
Believe me
believe me
I can't tell you why
But I'm trapped by your love
and I'm chained to your side.

We are young
heartache to heartache we stand
no promises, no demads
love is a battlefeild

When I'm losing control
will you turn me away
or touch me deep inside'
And when all this gets old
will it still feel the same?
There's no way this will die
But if we get much closer
I could lose control
And if your heart surrenders you'll need me to hold.

We are young
heartache to heartache we stand - blah... blah... blah.... :rolleyes:

Nice strong drums in this too.... *makes minor concession to suitablility for thread* :oops:

nice whistling too! ;)

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
We were the lucky ones Jan. I go back to 1963 for my first music memory.

That was seeing The Beatles first UK TV appearance. I knew that things would never be same after that.

I’m surprised you put Pooh in the same age bracket as you and me. I thought he was much younger. Although I am ignoring his ‘’Some of us like songs recorded this century’’ comment. PMSL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My choice for Bass solo is going to be hard to beat. Jon Entwistle is acknowledged by many to be the finest bass player ever. I think this solo performance only serves to confirm that opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
They were amazing the Who, the whole bally lot of 'em. :laugh:

Beatles - I was 5 in '63 and my 1st 'schooltime' memory is a table of 5th formers singing 'I wanna hold your hand' in between main course and dessert in the canteen :laugh:

You may have a few years on me and I've got a couple on pooh, but it's about that time between the Fab 4 and the Sex pistols when things really got to fizz before musicians started playing dress up again :laugh:

Hows about some acoustics and more windy pipes (incl organ)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkSIwaUaNc

and something completely different...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbBxxML6iM
The Tull really did rock an' rule - and my neighbour's just started banging on the wall - :twisted: :laugh:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Jan you have to promise to keep posting in the OLD rockers threads.

I was a teenager (just) when I first saw The Beatles. I'm working on a Beatle post at the moment as I think they need a special mention.

The Who were brilliant. I can't make my mind up whether I like Tommy or Quadrophenia the most but I can't think of anything they did that I didn't like.

Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull made a huge impact on me. Do you remember back in the 60’s it was fashionable to carry your favourite album under your arm wherever you went to let others know what music you were into. I carried Aqualung by Jethro Tull under my arm for weeks.

Ever since Pooh put the Old rockers threads on the forum my neighbour has been banging on the wall. I assume he likes the music so much he’s just tapping along in appreciation.

Ooops gotta go the Police are knocking on my front door. Mmm strange I haven’t set fire to anything recently.

Keep posting Jan and I’ll have a look for the medley from Tommy as soon as the Police have gone if it’s available I’ll post it in the ‘’would you listen to this’’ thread.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Don't let the pigs get you down man :laugh:

I'm afraid I wasn't a teen until the early 70's but living in the westcountry we had a lot of pseudo-hippies down here :rolleyes: (I lived in Plymouth then) and I sort of caught the tail end of all that - we had some great prog rock clubs back in the early 70s - my housemate worked in a real dive of a club and saw ELP (local lads in there), Tull, the Quo, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fairport, Osibisa etc all before they made it really big - even Shaking Stevens :laugh: He had this great white cadillac as a tour vehicle - people used to go look at the car instead when his sets were on :p

By the time I was old enough to be let out of the convent school it was all Roxy Music and Bowie and Queen so I missed out on most of that but some of the clubs were still pretty wild down there - cheap too! 8)

SO is this the Old Rockers thread now? :laugh: Can't promise to post too regularly but I do have to work online sometimes and I've been skiving a lot lately but I'll pop in a fair bit I expect :p

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
I hope there are no officers of the law on the forum Jan or they’ve got you bang to rights :laugh:

Your friend saw some great bands but there’s nowt with Roxy Music, Bowie and Queen.

I have more time on my hands than I want at the moment Jan and that explains why I’ve been on line as much as I have. You might laugh but for a whole multitude of reasons I’m actually finding the forum therapeutic.

Now who would have thought that You, Pooh, Kladivo, and Tony Black could have been described as therapists.... PMSL :laugh:

Whenever you get the chance to look in it will always be a pleasure to see you.

Rock on 8)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Forums like this are therapeutic Morty! :laugh:

Back in 2005 I was a complete burnout, had had it with my job (it sucked me dry literally) and later in the year with my husband too (now downgraded to housemate and may make ex both legally and domestically if he's not careful soon) and if it wasn't for the LotR roleplay forum I found the same year, along with the friends I made on there I doubt I'd have still been around now. o_O

The mind's a funny old place and so's memory. So many people drift along and don't make an effort to try new things or think fortune/popularitywill come looking for them - you have to go out and make memories and sharing your own thoughts, dreams and enthusiasms with other people is as good as any other way to meet people and have fun. We're all therapists in a way! ;)

Here's something from a forum friend on another LotR site to share :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvEh5cGw8w
With thanks to Tiana (aka Denthor, Steward of the White City) :p >>This image carries a bad language warning<<
I couldn't find the music that went with this vid but YouTube had it with Requiem for a Tower which is pretty damn good to listen to :twisted:

User Menu

Newsletter