DWcon 2010

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
mmmmmm - motto needs some work... I'm not very witty but here's an idea or two:

the Discworld forum, where everyone knows how to pronounce Ooook

Why join the discworld forum? Because.

how about advertising via FB and twitter? Zero cost involved, and DWCON has a presence in both places. I'll do it on the ausdwcon sites - @nullusanxietas3 on Twitter and Australian discworld Convention on FB

Also - why not ask for a mention in the Convention programme?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Not advertise - 'promote' to like-minded people? ;)

We currently stand at a membership of about 1115 members which is great, but the actual number of regular posting membership is much, much lower than that - less than 50 realistically (do the Total Post scan and look at the top 50 and you'll see that there's a lot of people on there who don't post that regularly anymore and range from Tony with the top posting score of 6374 to 138 at No. 50).

This is a 'problem' with most dedicated-theme forums in that people will register and then bugger off never to be seen again or go 'nova' post all over for a short time and then also bugger off never to be seen again... But the people who stay are mad about Terry so what better place to give a general 'Hey we're over here' shout to a convention full of people who are also nuts enough about Terry to spend between 1-4 days trolling around a posh hotel? Some of them in funny costumes... :laugh:

I'd be prepared to bet (if it wasn't against my personal belief system :p ) that a significant proportion of conventioneers may already be forum members but not post much, so this is a way of drawing in them and new people as well by showing what we talk about and how it's a licence to drone on ad nauseum to fellow Pratchett nuts! :laugh: This is why I've told Dotsie we're not going the spangly leotard route as this will be way too scary - but if you're wanting to volunteer to help then you can wear a day-glo leotard if you really really want to - just don't expect me to be seen with you whilst you do! :twisted:

It's a pro-active social thing to a captive audience - think of all those potential new members you can have fun arguing with! :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
GrannyWeatherwax said:
mmmmmm - motto needs some work... I'm not very witty but here's an idea or two:

the Discworld forum, where everyone knows how to pronounce Ooook

Why join the discworld forum? Because.

how about advertising via FB and twitter? Zero cost involved, and DWCON has a presence in both places. I'll do it on the ausdwcon sites - @nullusanxietas3 on Twitter and Australian discworld Convention on FB

Also - why not ask for a mention in the Convention programme?
*does things with highlighter pen to this post*

Ta Granny! :laugh:

Personally I'm chronically allergic to networking sites, but will pass that on to Lynsey at the publisher's Press Office as that's her job (or is now) :laugh:

Tonyblack said:
Jan, I'm not serious about the mottos - just having a bit of fun. ;)
No! Really? Witty straplines are de rigeur with this kind of promo stuff so we're having one! :laugh:

Sjoerd - all help appreciated and the A Team must be represented (or you could do an Elf I suppose.... but then I'd have to be the Queen too :eek: No good - A Team's fine though as I'm only a hanger-on not a F/time member ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan's right about people who register and then never post - or those who post a load of things initially and then wander off.

Promoting the site is like casting a net and seeing what doesn't escape through the hole in the net. ;)

Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Tonyblack said:
Jan's right about people who register and then never post - or those who post a load of things initially and then wander off.

Promoting the site is like casting a net and seeing what doesn't escape through the hole in the net. ;)
Well if it means anything I intend to stick around :laugh: .Although my posts and replies to things might be a little late sometimes,I don't always use the internet everyday. ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Some more sample bookmarks using Tony's and Granny's suggestions (and so I can play around with font settings)

I'm liking the uppercase setting best so the top one could be reset in a smaller point size to accommodate the larger characters.

Keep the suggestions for straplines/mottos coming in though please. We can do a poll on which to use perhaps - or have a couple of them for choice? ;)

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Jan Van Quirm said:
Some more sample bookmarks using Tony's and Granny's suggestions (and so I can play around with font settings)

I'm liking the uppercase setting best so the top one could be reset in a smaller point size to accommodate the larger characters.

Keep the suggestions for straplines/mottos coming in though please. We can do a poll on which to use perhaps - or have a couple of them for choice? ;)
I think, looking just at fonts, that the top one is a lot more interesting and more pleasant to the eye than the bottom one. The contrast is a lot bigger, which makes it interesting. The viewer's eye is automatically pulled towards the "Terry Pratchett" (Which is what should be seen first) whereas on the bottom bookmark you can't really decide what you should read first. The caps on the bottom seem very disturbing (because they're simply caps and also brighter than the "Terry Pratchett) and sort of steals the show. Another thing is that a line written in capital letters is harder to read than a line written with small letters. You can take in the top text a lot faster then the bottom one.

Another thing that looks a bit out of place to me is the internet address on the top. If you cover it with your finger, the "Terry Pratchett" has even more effect than with the address. Maybe take it under the big type, see how it looks there or maybe even put it on the back of the bookmark and compare. If you haven't done that already, of course.
Could also be that I'm just being over-critic again :laugh:

Otherwise: Brilliant bookmark! I love it! The colours fit together brilliantly and the whole Discworld feel is perfect. And "Terry Pratchett" is exactly at the right place. (Looks like the turtle has just swum around it) :laugh:
Can you send me one of those when they're printed? Or done? Or whatever? :laugh: :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Folks this is what happens when typographers get together! :laugh:

Here's the first one I did Cheery -

Ignoring the message altogether, I think the bottom line works best in this first one, 'cos it's short and mostly covers the lighter central background so it's not as dominant over Terry's name as much as the later two (which go across the darker background at either end of the image - which in turn makes them look lighter than the Terry Pratchett when really they're exactly the same sampled colours).

I take your point about the lower case readability but I do have a horror of throwing too many different type styles together and the spacing of Terry's name, for now, I can't play with, as the base image isn't layered and so can't be moved around yet (hopefully Lyndsey may be able to get me a vector file and I can work on the spacing and contrasts more flexibly or I can 'lift' the title onto the background which takes time). For us the web address is important and it'll go on the back as well... :laugh: ;)

... which has just given me another idea for the straplines which maybe don't need to be on the front at all so we can de-clutter altogether :twisted: Guys we won't have a poll - anyone who can think up a catchy one-liner we can do them on the back like critic quotes - so something like this

The fantasy forum with added turtle...
Jan Van Quirm - member since Nov 2008

The Discworld forum where everyone knows how to pronounce OOK...
Granny Weatherwax - member since Oct 2009

etc :laugh:

Thanks for the salient points Cheery - will work on that quote idea (and the other task) over the weekend ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Jan Van Quirm said:
Tony said:
Just a thought - I wonder if a bookmark of the forum banner could be made with the web address on. :)
I take it you mean hard copy bookmarks? Yes no probs with getting that done and more handy and less 'forgettable' than a titchy biz card. :laugh:

As for slogans :p Well the in-jokes are good of course but possibly actionable on both pooh or pants (Disney 'own' the rights to pooh now and the other connotation might upset Random House a tad) as knowingly misrepresenting Terry and Discworld ;)
So far the least 'offensive' and funny (sorry Sjoerd) is - you don't have to be mad to join the Pratchett Forum but it helps!!!!!

Anyone want to describe us without having to explain why its so funny? :laugh:
Bloomin' heck! I said sorry! ;)

OK - maybe I should have said So far the least offensive and original? Does that sting less? :p

Bikkit - take no notice of him - plenty of time and anyone can contribute (and Sjoerd can have more goes until he makes me laugh :twisted: ) and I'll fit as many on there as I can, so go ahead and be wicked! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter