SPOILERS Eric Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
And - as mentioned in my intro - this was one of four books that Terry had published in 1990. That was quite a workload and therefore somewhat understandable that writing a 'lite' novel (this almost counts as a novella) might suit that workload. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
Were the Dungeon Dimensions mentioned in Eric? o_O

Pandemonium isn't the Dungeon Dimensions, is it? o_O
Yes - Rincewind was in the Dungeon Dimension and seems to have been lifted out of there by one of the head demons in Pandemonium. He certainly wasn't in Pandemonium before Eric 'summoned' him and the DD was where he was left after Sourcery.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
So how did Rincewind get out of the Dungeon Dimensions then?
Was he magically spirited there by Hell's second in command? o_O
That seems to me to have been what happened. Duke Vassenego needed to send someone to appear to Eric (for his plot to work). He couldn't use a demon as Astfgl would have worked that out, so he pulled Rincewind from the DD and basically used him as a puppet. Astfgl seems to have had his eye on Eric for future purposes and the Duke basically ruins this plan.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tony! :eek:
Are you related to Mrs Cake?! :eek:
How can you answer a question before I've asked it?!! :eek:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Going back to whether the DD was mentioned - during the Rite of AshkeEnte, when the wizards ask Death about the disturbances:

"Are we talking about the wizard Rincewind? The one with the--" the Bursar gave a shudder-- "horrible Luggage on legs? But he got blown up when there was all that business with the sourcerer, didn't he?"

INTO THE DUNGEON DIMENSIONS. AND NOW HE IS TRYING TO GET BACK HOME.
This is on page 16 of the VGSF paperback copy (without the illustrations) and there is a lengthy footnote on the same page. :)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
This is what I meant. :laugh:
It looks like you are answering my question, but my question was posted AFTER your answer.

poohcarrot said:
So how did Rincewind get out of the Dungeon Dimensions then?
Was he magically spirited there by Hell's second in command? o_O
Tonyblack said:
Yes - Rincewind was in the Dungeon Dimension and seems to have been lifted out of there by one of the head demons in Pandemonium. He certainly wasn't in Pandemonium before Eric 'summoned' him and the DD was where he was left after Sourcery.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
They also state several times throughout the series that demons are relatively benign compared to the Dungeon Dimension entities. It's like the difference between a traditional demon and a Lovecraftian entity.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Aside from Moving Pictures coming after Eric (I didn't have the list handy but I knew they were close to each other) the point stands - Terry had done the Dungeon Dimensions to death and they're not featured in any major way in the books after MP and then only to do the King Kong/Fay Wray scream-fest ending. ;)

Like Tony says - it's Vassenego who's the moving force in getting Rincewind out of DD by virtue of Pandemonium being a parallel dimension and then we're moving into late medieval/Da Quirm Renaissance and even 'Dickensian' phase Discworld

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Moving Pictures and Eric were published in the same year - but as Ridcully is very much a part of Moving Pictures and he clearly isn't in Eric, then I'd place Eric first. :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Jan Van Quirm said:
Like Tony says - it's Vassenego who's the moving force in getting Rincewind out of DD by virtue of Pandemonium being a parallel dimension and then we're moving into late medieval/Da Quirm Renaissance and even 'Dickensian' phase Discworld
Speaking of which, does the name Vassenego actually mean anything in Italian? A lot of the demon's names in Dante's Inferno actually meant something in English. You have Barbariccia (Curly Beard), Cagnazzo (Nasty Dog), and so on.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Here's an interesting point. 8)

Is Eric the only book where hell is mentioned?

I know Mr Tulip gets reincarnated, but is there any book where heaven is mentioned?
(Not including the Barbarian heaven with copius quaffing and the lobbing of axes at the pigtails of buxom Wagnerian wenches.)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
poohcarrot said:
Here's an interesting point. 8)

Is Eric the only book where hell is mentioned?

I know Mr Tulip gets reincarnated, but is there any book where heaven is mentioned?
(Not including the Barbarian heaven with copius quaffing and the lobbing of axes at the pigtails of buxom Wagnerian wenches.)
Not really. The only consistently mentioned afterlife is the Desert, and Death is rather coy about what happens afterwards. However, Scrofula (in The Colour of Magic) does pretty much state that reincarnation is common.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Quatermass said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Speaking of which, does the name Vassenego actually mean anything in Italian? A lot of the demon's names in Dante's Inferno actually meant something in English. You have Barbariccia (Curly Beard), Cagnazzo (Nasty Dog), and so on.

Q - I put the word Vassenego into a web translation thingy, and it translated from Italian to English as.............. Vassenego.

:laugh: :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Bouncy Castle said:
Q - I put the word Vassenego into a web translation thingy, and it translated from Italian to English as.............. Vassenego.

:laugh: :laugh:
And since when was web translation reliable? :rolleyes:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
poohcarrot said:
Vassenego is an anagram of Gas ovens - hell - hot place - etc. :rolleyes:
Whoa, that actually makes sense, Pooh. :)

:eek:

Waitamoment...this is the second time that you and I agreed on something tonight.

I HAVE BEEN CON-TAM-IN-AT-ED!!!

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Do we count both this discussion and the "pre-Eric discussion discussion" as discussions of Eric?

I'd hate to think in only a few days that this lower-tier effort has engendered more posts than those for The Truth, Mort, Soul Music, Unseen Academicals and (*sniff*) The Fifth Elephant... :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter