Favourite?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

GREEBO

Jul 28, 2008
manchester
Best book, not easy to choose

Making Money is definatly one of the best but I am going to opt for Pyramids, it is definatly the one that made me laugh the most.

I havnt read all the postings on here so I dont know if this is a popular choise or not.

Please let me know

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
I love all the watch books, but Men at Arms might be my favourite.

But my absolute favourite "scene" in a book is when Death visits the department store as the Hogfather. I was on a train the last time I read it & I couldn't contain myself! I had to stick my head straight into the book so at least I couldn't see the looks I was getting.

So I can sympathise with anyone who suffers in the same way.

Dotsie x
I've sometimes wondered if that scene is based on the fans meeting Terry at signings. :laugh:

drumknott

Jul 28, 2008
Small Gods.

Strong likable characters in a wonderfully weaved narrative. I think Mr. Pratchett worked wonders making this story biblical in both scale and imagery.

I even like the abridged audio book read by Tony Robinson, Although I think that Stephen Briggs is the best for bringing Discworld novels to life in Audio books.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Pyramids would probably be my one book as I am a child at heart and would love to have the adventures of the assassins (without inhuming anyone of course!) Plus I love history so the pyramids and Dios won me over straightaway.

Nightwatch for me was the best written and most engaging. Sam Vimes could easily a real person in Roundworld and due to that fact it is so easy to relate to him.

I tend to read series together - witches, city watch, death etc. I have this tendency that if I fancy reading a book, say Witches Abroad, I have to go back and read Equal Rites etc. before I read WA but then of course I just can't stop and have to read the rest of the series.

On the flip side of the coin I have to say that my least favourite character is Rincewind and I don't tend to read his books very often. I've never been one to like the anti-hero who survives through pure chance as I can't relate Rincewind as I am the type of person to plan everything.

Love all PTerry books in general - just keep them coming! :)

Periwinkle

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
I love Mort - very very funny!

I also love Maskerade, as I love the Theatre and the Witches and The Fifth Elephant cos that has Werewolves and I love Werewolves :oops:

ICL

Jul 28, 2008
The Netherlands
My all time favourite is Reaper Man.
I just have a soft spot for Death (and I wouldn't mind having Binky turning up in my stables - even if that means having to do 'the Duty')

dibbler

Jul 27, 2008
favorites

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.

dibbler

Jul 27, 2008
favorites

my own pick is the thief of time. here terry tackles a subject most authors would never attempt and does it with ease. A close second is Mort AND I AM QUITE SERIOUS. Finally, my choice for Best First Book For Non-Pratchetters: the wee free men.

BlackAssassin

Lance-Constable
Jul 30, 2008
Perth, Australia
ooohhhh it is a tough one isn't it?!!

hmm well my all time favirote is Night Watch - for all the reasons already mentioned.... it made me cry.

I also enjoyed Wintersmith - all the Witches books are great :)

I actually have not read Small Gods and I am finding it really hard to get into :oops:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Small Gods is not an easy book and you'll probably need to read it more than once, but it's worth it. You have to get past the story and look at what Terry is satirising. It's like when you get past the so-called 'children's story' of Gulliver's Travels and see the real story beneath. :laugh:

One of the reasons I love Small Gods so much is 'because' you have to work to get it.

When i first read Small Gods i was a fundi Christian and didn't like it. When i read it the second time, i was still a fundi Christian but i realized it's not so much a dig on Christianity or any faith, but more on the human made religions built around it, and i loved it. Now i'm not even a Christian, nevermind a fundi.. So i think i must try it again.

ladyramkin

Lance-Constable
Aug 6, 2008
Kent
Nightwatch, of course, and Guards, Guards, but I especially love Interesting Times, cos I just fell in love with the Silver Horde, especially Mr. Savaloy. Oh heck, how can you choose :laugh:

Kirstie

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Moors of McMorren Scotland
VIMES

All of the Watch books, especially Jingo and Night Watch......and Thud.......and well u get the idea. I just love Vimes, i like that whole sarccy, cynical thing. Dark yet a good guy. When the dwarf goes into the nursery in Thud...well i wont admit i didnt sigh with relief, as well as totally ignore my brothers shouts for help as he accidentally locked himself in the bathroom :laugh: i picture him as a cross between Clint Eastwood and Hugh Laurie in House, with a bit of Bruce Willis thrown in for good measure :laugh:

I also love Nanny Ogg as she totally reminds me of my late granny. And well Death...that goes without saying!

snapcase72

Lance-Constable
Aug 24, 2008
Lofoten, Norway
Seems to be hard to decide on only one...

My favorites right now are: Nightwatch, Small Gods, Reaper Man, Maskerade and A Hat Full of Sky.

This list is not definite, it may vary, depending on my mood, time of year, air humidity and wether a certain English football club scores a sufficient number of goals or not.

Metsecman

Jul 26, 2008
New Zealand
Wow!
This is like trying to pick the best one out of a box of maltesers; all good! ;)
I am very interested in anything quantum, so Pyramids and Thief of Time are up there. On the other hand I love the headological powers of Granny Weatherwax, and then there's the marvelouse Vimes in Nightwatch but we mustn't forget Rincewind..........and......but.......
Oh I give up, everyone of them is my favourite. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Soooooo hard! :rolleyes:

Small Gods I think overall (was it the first one to have Lu tse in it?) But I just love the way Bruvver the true believer copes with Om's lack of faith and with the truly vile and politically warped Inquisitor whose name escapes me just now.

Fave Witch/Wizard book would have to be Lords and Ladies for all kinds of reasons but mostly 'cos of Ridcully rediscovering his youthful admiration of Granny :laugh:

Fave Watch book - erm maybe Feet of Clay - bit like the X Files in a way and its the first time I'd ever heard about Golems too - although perhaps on balance Guards Guards as it's just wonderful with Vimes and Sybil starting to get it together and Carrot all cute and naive

I also love to re-read Moving Pictures as that's Gaspode's first outing and I love, love, love the ickle guy to bits ;)

User Menu

Newsletter