Fight Club a great book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

shelke

Lance-Constable
Jul 8, 2010
An underground classic since its first publication in 1996, Fight Club is now recognized as one of the most original and provocative novels published in this decade. Chuck Palahniuk's darkly funny first novel tells the story of a god-forsaken young man who discovers this his rage at living in a world filled with failure and lies cannot be pacified by an empty consumer culture. Relief for him and his disenfranchised peers comes in the form of secret after-hours boxing matches held in the basements of bars. Fight Club is the brainchild of Tyler Durden, who thinks he has found a way for himself and his friends to live beyond their confining and stultifying lives. But in Tyler's world there are no rules, no limits, no brakes.

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
What's up with all these book summaries? :) I've found this one and other litterally copied and pasted from other internet pages.
I don't mind, it sparks discussion about interesting books, but I find it a bit weird ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Willem said:
What's up with all these book summaries? :) I've found this one and other litterally copied and pasted from other internet pages.
I don't mind, it sparks discussion about interesting books, but I find it a bit weird ;)
You're absolutely right. Shelke has simply been copying publisher's blurbs from other sites and posting them in here unattributed.

What's up with this Shelke? If you have don't have anything original to say, please don't post other people's words, especially as your own.

J-I-B

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Talk about the book's good so just ignore the lifted guff - it's got us talking about a valid topic if nothing else and some people don't realise the meaning of the word plagiarism else they'd not show themselves up doing it ;)

No claims were made and so as mC says no real damage done - I've never read this book or seen the film so all I can say is :oops:

DING! DING! Round 7 :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
It's just a bit bothersome when you think you're responding to a poster's actual written opinion and what you're actually responding to is a publisher's blurb or an Amazon description. I guess as a writer whose work has been plaigarized in the past and quotes with proper attribution I'm a bit oversensitive to this issue.

I'd much rather someone just post, "Hey, there's this book called _____ that I haven't read. What do you think about it?"

Whatever.

J-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Chill out J-I-B & mC. 8)

Everyone seems a bit grumpy today, probably due to PWCS - Post World Cup Syndrome, I mean, look what Jan said to me. :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm said:
Try thinking next time before posting to make a stupid and potentially damaging point..... I know you're not a vicious uncaring person but you are thoughtless to the point of being gratuitously callous at times and this is one of them with bells on

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Chill out J-I-B & mC. 8)

Everyone seems a bit grumpy today, probably due to PWCS - Post World Cup Syndrome, I mean, look what Jan said to me. :eek: :laugh: :laugh:
Continentalist! I didn't watch one minute of the two thousand years the World Cup seemed to last. Who won, anyway?

:)

I could say I'm grumpy because you left me out of your novella, but that would be lying. Probably has more to do with the fact that the temperature hasn't gone below 97 degrees in two weeks....

UJ-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jan Van Quirm said:
And of course that was completely unwarranted wasn't it light of my life? :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

But I agree it must be something to do with too much soccer although I'd put it down to another syndrome - PCSCF (poohcarrot smartarse comments fatigue) 8) :twisted:
Feeling better now Jan? Got everything off your chest? There's a good girl. 8)

User Menu

Newsletter