for terry

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Hi, can you pass on a message to Terry?
Through reading his books I was really helped through two bouts of depression. I suddenly realised I could laugh. It was comforting to know there was a soul out there with a sense of humour like mine!

My cousin, now retired from the Royal Opera House Covent Garden where she worked for Dame Monica Mason (name dropping finished), said Masquerade was so spot on she couldn't put the book down!

Boundary Players, Aldermaston, recently portrayed Going Postal raising money for Alztheimers. I played Reacher Gilt and thoroughly enjoyed it.

p.s. I thuink I saw Granny Weatherwax on paltform 10 at Waterloo! :eek: [/i]

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Terry's books have certainly helped me with my depression, and they continue to do so. And not just his books. All the friends I've made online or at events due to his writing.

I even met my wife, Sharlene because of Terry's books. A Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book to us. :laugh:

Moist von Lipwig

Lance-Constable
Jan 21, 2010
Ankh-Morpork
Tonyblack, the same with me. I had quite huge depression but it ended month ago, when I started reading Terry. It was a shock, the world wasn't the same as previous. I started looking at it with different eye (Teatime's glass eye, I think).

Feb 1, 2010
I hope you don't mind me sharing my 'How the Discworld books changed my life' as well, but this seemed to be the best thread for it and now, when it feels like the beginning of the end, I really want to share it.

When I was seven years old, I had completed all the levels of reading material my primary school had to offer me. In order to challenge me with something harder (i.e. without pictures in it), they gave me Children of the New Forest. Now, I'm sure many people find that a very fine book to read, but I just couldn't finish it - it was too boring! I came to the conclusion that once books didn't have pictures in, maybe grown-ups only read because it was one of those things grown-ups are supposed to do, like pay the bills or go to the gym.

But my older brother, who epitomised cool for me when I was little (and probably still does a bit), seemed to actively enjoy reading. He never went anywhere without a book carefully wrapped up in bubble wrap. Being his adorable little sister, I grabbed it to try and figure out what was so great about this book that he was reading that made it better than Children of the New Forest. The book was Pyramids.

My older brother insisted that I read the books in order, starting with Truckers, Diggers, and Wings before I could even contemplate The Colour of Magic. And once I started reading, well, I'm you can all imagine what happened - the addiction, the fights over who got to read the latest Pratchett next, sleepless nights of just one more page...

The Discworld books got me back into reading in a big way, and also got me into writing for fun as well, thus improving my written English skills quite considerably. By the time I reached secondary school, I was surrounding myself with books, dividing my spare time between volunteering as librarian in the school's library, and writing my own stories. Enjoying the library work so much, I first did a work-experience placement, and then a part-time job with the local library. Enjoying that so much, I chose to study Information and Library Studies at university.

That decision led to me getting a degree in Library Studies, and also meeting the man who was to become my husband. He introduced me to a line of work I really hadn't considered as a librarian before, but is challenging and very, very rewarding, plus is a stable enough job that we were able to get a mortgage and our first house together.

So, really, I have Terry Pratchett to thank for my job, my degree, my house, and my husband.

Sorry for the long post.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi BeadyDragon and welcome to the site. :laugh:

Thanks for sharing your story - I think a lot of us here have got a lot to thank Terry for - I know I have.

User Menu

Newsletter