for terry

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
BeadyDragon said:
Sorry for the long post.
Hi Beady.
Wait until you see JVQ go off on one. Your post is a mere footnote in comparison. :laugh:
Welcome Beady! :laugh: Take no notice of pooh - he's great with the one-liners, but hasn't got enough puff to his passion for more considered and weighty depositions :twisted:
Sends a High Five to a member of the Silly Wimin's Movement!!!!!

Marianne

Lance-Constable
Feb 7, 2010
Switzerland
Well here comes the truth - I have never read any of Terry's books. I joined this group after the Dimbleby Lecture, as i found it so moving, and because it is a subject so close to my heart.

My English husband and myself moved to my native Switzerland last year (I spend 40 years in UK) - we live in an old farm in the mountains and would be happy to talk or write to him, in total discretion.

Jan 1, 2010
Marianne said:
Well here comes the truth - I have never read any of Terry's books. I joined this group after the Dimbleby Lecture, as i found it so moving, and because it is a subject so close to my heart.

My English husband and myself moved to my native Switzerland last year (I spend 40 years in UK) - we live in an old farm in the mountains and would be happy to talk or write to him, in total discretion.
Can I suggest that you try one? They are all very entertaining and many have a more serious theme as well - plus after 40 years in the UK you should get most of the jokes. Theres a topic somewhere discussing which is best to start with ...

Nándor

Mar 4, 2010
Veresegyház, Hungary
A simple message to Sir Terry:

Thank you for assuring me that I am not alone in this universe with weird thinking and a twisted point of view on humanity as a whole.

Thank you for giving me the chance to read a single sentence over and over just for the joy of laughing over and over.

Thank you for lending me your brain in which I could immerse and have the opportunity not to take life, universe and everything too serious. Including myself. Oh, and death.

I wish you and your family all the best in the future, and hope that the love and support by us, your "fanbois" could give the strength to fight Alzheimer with success.

Nándor

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Hellooo and welcome to the madhouse, Nándor! :)

Nándor said:
Thank you for assuring me that I am not alone in this universe with weird thinking and a twisted point of view on humanity as a whole.
If you have read the other threads on the forum, you can be certain in the knowledge that you are not alone! :laugh:

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
*Ahem*

The first time I started suffering from depression I isolated myself from the world. I was in fifth grade and spent the breaks in school reading and re-reading the Discworld books. My logic at that time was that, since there was a world that was so much more interesting and funny, why should I bother trying to make friends with people who thought I was weird? The books were all the friends I needed.

This time around, and please don't lynch me for saying this, reading Discworld books just didn't do the trick. The months before I went to see a doctor and got medication and therapy were the worst of my life, partly because I was unable to enjoy the works of my favourite author. Happily, the meds kicked in just in time for Unseen Academials.

/ rant over. :oops:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Discworld can be a great place to escape to - but eventually eventually real life will intrude on even the most wonderful fantasy. Discworld is for visiting - for taking a holiday and escaping, but you wouldn't want to live there. :)

Sorry to hear you have been so unwell - depression is just awful. And glad to hear you are feeling better now.

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
Tonyblack said:
Discworld can be a great place to escape to - but eventually eventually real life will intrude on even the most wonderful fantasy. Discworld is for visiting - for taking a holiday and escaping, but you wouldn't want to live there. :)

Sorry to hear you have been so unwell - depression is just awful. And glad to hear you are feeling better now.
God, no - I just know that sooner or later I'd end up buying one of Mr. Dibbler's sausage-in-buns, and I'm a vegetarian! :laugh:

And thanks. :) I'm pretty sure that part of it was that I've been in a pretty hard place in my life - finals, uni entrance exams and suchlike. Happily that will all be over in a few weeks. :laugh:

kytten

May 28, 2010
I joined just so I could write this.

It has been a dearly-held dream to one day meet Sir Terry, so I could say this to him in person. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance, and I want him to know.

It is very likely that his books are the reason I'm alive today. When I was about 9 some stuff happened. I don't feel like talking about it in detail, but it sent me into depression, self harm and regular suicide attempts. A couple of years later, I discovered several of his books at a friends house. I started with Equal Rites and felt right again. When I read the books, I felt like me, I was happy. Over time, I pulled myself out of depression with the help of therapy and Discworld.

Terry helped me discover my sense of humour, the myself under the layers of self-hate, and my desire to write. I have a lot to thank him for, and sincerely hope this gets to him.

Does anyone know of an email address to gets to him, or to someone connected with him?

User Menu

Newsletter