Gnats

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kahlzun

Nov 19, 2008
Has anyone nailed down what this condition involves? It's not defined anywhere in the wiki that I can find?

Mentioned in Going Postal, not sure which others

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hello & welcome!

I think it's just a disease made up by Moist, as part of a con. Unless his mother lives by a lake & the gnats are driving her so mad that she jumps in it ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
What Dotsie said. :) It's like Stanley being raised by peas - Terry using a bit of wordplay.

Welcome to the board. :laugh:

TheMole

Lance-Corporal
;) and by the way, it´s also in Hat Full of Sky - "Well, yes. There’s Slapwick’s leg, and I’ve got to see to the sick Grimly baby, and it’s been a week since I’ve visited Surleigh Bottom, and, let’s see, Mr Plover’s got Gnats again, and I’d better just find a moment to have a word with Mistress Slopes . . . then there’s Mr Weavall’s lunch to cook, I think I’ll have to do that here and run down with it for him, and of course Mrs Fanlight is near her time and," she sighed, "so is Miss Hobblow, again . . . It’s going to be a full day. It’s really hard to fit it all in, really it is."

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Someone should write a dictionary of Discworld words & their meanings. Gnats sounds nasty. :eek:
Hi Kahlzun. :laugh:

Jul 26, 2008
Gnats is a local word for fleas in Edinborough.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Obviously not the UK meaning of Gnats though :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I thought it was just a name for little buzzy bitey things, like midges. Which is why the lake connection, if anybody was wondering :)

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
It sounds revolting. Glad we don't seem to get it in Britian.

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
I had the impression it was something like measles. Lots of little spots all over.

Apr 29, 2009
London
I once read a horror story about a group of girls who went to a male stripper show.

They were in the front row, and the strippers were all lined up and swinging their bits and bobs around.

One of the girls felt something go into her eye.

Several days later she went to the doctor with an infected eye - it was a pubic lice.

:eek:

mspanners said:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG369/notes/eye_gnats.html

After causing eye infections,and if left untreated, your eyes go like this :eek: .

Eventually you will look like this :oops: then this 8) and then need a dog and stick to walk about or die of starvation or walking off the edge of cliffs.
Well, you could just join the Lemmings... :twisted:

Bouncy Castle said:
I once read a horror story about a group of girls who went to a male stripper show.

They were in the front row, and the strippers were all lined up and swinging their bits and bobs around.

One of the girls felt something go into her eye.

Several days later she went to the doctor with an infected eye - it was a pubic lice.

:eek:
EWWWWWWW!!!!!!! :makes the realistic pantomime of Daphne pantomiming throwing up: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've heard that story too, years ago, so the words "urban myth" spring to mind. Doesn't mean it's not a good one though ;)

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

User Menu

Newsletter