going postal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

foolsgold

Lance-Constable
May 22, 2010
Shropshire
I thought it was very good actually. I've never read Going Postal. I'm new to the Terry Pratchett books, (just read The Colour Of Magic). But yes I thought Poirot and Sachs were good in it :)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Thanks Who's Wee Dug, but have just seen part1 is on Sky 2 at 4 p.m. & part2 on Sky 1 at 6 p.m.. I can watch the whole thing in one go. Whoopeee! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CJDobs

Constable
Sep 10, 2009
At Last!

Finally, finally, finally, they got it just right.

Hogfather was a good (if slow paced) dramatic representation with weak (dare I say cheap?) production that let the plot dominate the humour. A mistake in my opinion.

TCOM had better production but bordered on the realms of silliness (which maybe indicative of the 'time and place' the first two books were written) but still wasn't something I would show my non discworld reading friends as to 'why' Terry Pratchett is a genius and turn them onto the books.

Going Postal however was a huge soaring success. The pace, script, humour, plot, acting, sets and production were all just . . . . superb, and there was room for real emotional growth too! The Moist/Adora love story was tantalising to watch.

It's a shame they didn't opt for 'Making Money' as the next production as the actors shone so brightly in this adaptation that they should be back on screen.

Yes, there were some changes and some new plot lines but it didn't lose it's spirit at all. It's the celluloid after all, if Peter Jackson can chuck Aragorn off a cliff, then I'm sure Vadim Jean can pull the odd clacks wire in a different direction . . .

My one tiny gripe was the Golems. They looked so . . rubbery and were for some reason modelled on Marvin the Paranoid Android from the British TV version of Hitchhikers. No biggie, but as much as I enjoyed the humanisation of them in the voice acting, I do feel Golems would/should be more impassive . . . .

Out of the three Sky movies though, this one IS the closest to Discworld. so far.

A proper must see :)

Moonchild

Jun 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm a newbie since a few minutes and this is my first posting. Come from Bavaria and so I have to wait until the DVD is availble, so I'm happy to get some infos here before.

It may sound a bit weird but I always see real people like artists whilst reading books. For me the one and only Granny Weatherwax is Helen Mirren :laugh:. And a couple of days ago I saw a picture of John McCoy from the band GMT and thought give him a spiky hat and you have the perfect Mustrum Ridcully! Maybe this would be an idea for the next movie?

Cheers,
Moonchild

User Menu

Newsletter