going postal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jun 1, 2010
South Wales
Hiya! I like the book better than the movie but it was equally good, I supposes (trying not cause riots)

I'm reading 'Making Money' right now. Its good so far, and by hte sounds of it, its going to get better! :) cant wait to finish it!

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
you know what? yell if you want to but I was deeply disappointed with Going Postal. Great casting but where was the original story???? Still if Terry is happy I guess i shouldn't cavil.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Welcome from me to the two new members here, Thesily Von Lipwig & Sheilaj.

I think they had to change it a bit, Going Postal, I mean as it would have been rather long if everything had been left in. I thought they made a good job of condensing it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
sheilaj said:
you know what? yell if you want to but I was deeply disappointed with Going Postal. Great casting but where was the original story???? Still if Terry is happy I guess i shouldn't cavil.
Ah, if you want the "original story" then reading the book is probably your best bet. :laugh: ;)

Welcome on board!

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
Tonyblack said:
sheilaj said:
Ah, if you want the "original story" then reading the book is probably your best bet. :laugh: ;)

Welcome on board!
I have, hence the disappointment :(

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
That's the third time in a row I've been left disappointed, why do 'they' always slow the pace which vastly important...we...can...speed...up, we are left bereft of the zip and zing that permeates every Pratchett page.
Admittedly the budget appeared a little more substantial this time around, the clacks were ingenious and the casting grew on me the more I watched...although Andrew Sachs as Groat failed to capture the true essence of the character imo.
It's the little details that count, oh there's Angua..who has just transformed in front of everyone(?) and surely it wouldn't be too much effort to have the correct Vetinari hair colour? and as for the golems...pish and tish I say.
Hmm, more of that godawful 'reimagining' thing than an adaptation. I knew we were in trouble as soon as Moist joined Gilt in his coach...wt?
I admit to being distracted more than once so I may be liable for correction but what irks the most was the lack of 'postie'isms'...considering I am an english postie this smarts! Oh yes, Sir Terry at the end 'Extremely Senior Postie Pratchett' if I say so myself :)

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
I made a conscious decision when posting on these threads to stay general in my criticism and not to list all the wrongs and niggles and when talking about detail, to concentrate on the good bits...Otherwise I will bore you all to stone (and me too)
I reckon David Suchet, apart from being a bit the wrong shape, (apologies David if you are reading) would have made a better Patrician. I loved to see the clacks spring to life BUT what happened to Angua's luxuriant hair? Sorry but that young lady looked like she had overused the straighteners :(

(Joined these forums a while back...and promptly forgot about it, until seeing Skys Going Postal).

I really don't know what to say about Sky version of Going Postal. I'm struggling.

When we see a film or TV adaptation of a book, especially one we might consider one of our favourites. It is to be expected to be niggled or dismayed slightly by changes in the story, or plot lines being shunted about to make it work on film. Even characters being changed for the sake of the actor playing them. This is to be expected.

Now, I enjoyed The Hogfather, I enjoyed The Colour of Magic, despite Alberto Malich being Rincewind. Both were pretty good adaptations.

Going Postal however, is not. Of course that is in my humb..sorry, in my opinion. I'm not really sure a point by point rundown would be welcome at this time, but I'll just say, I am very disapointed and will finish with this:

Mr Gryle is NOT the curse you buffoons. (Not you lovely readers here, GP's producers).

"Sky One. It aint Holy Wood"

User Menu

Newsletter