Graphic Discworld Novels

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ezekiel000

Lance-Constable
Oct 7, 2008
Comics:
Colour of Magic: illustrated by Steven Ross and adapted by Scott Rockwell (1992)
The Light Fantastic: illustrated by Steven Ross and Joe Bennet (1993)
Mort: drawn by Graham Higgins (1994)
Guards Guards: drawn by Graham Higgins and based on Briggs' script (2000)

Illustrated Novels:
Eric: illustrated by Josh Kirby (1990)
The Last Hero: illustrated by Paul Kidby (2001)

That was 10 minutes work on Wikipedia and Amazon.co.uk.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Ah! I thought so. The COM and LF both came in 4 issues. I've recently bought the originals.

I now have Eric HB
Mort signed by TP and Graham Higgins signed + little picture
Guards Guards HB - only 1500 made
COM/LF originals

My comic collection is complete.

freddy

Lance-Constable
Nov 26, 2008
I am one f those jammie people that have all the graphic novels incloding Eric, plus al the rest you ave allready said, i got them by chance from book shops and off Amazon and I did not pay that much for the, they are in good condition too. The colour of magic graphic noval was the one that got e stated on reading discworld and after that like u all I was huced line and sinker lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sep 25, 2010
Australia
I've just finished reading the The Light Fantastic and I can't quite make up my mind about it. On the one hand I acknowledge that it is a good story to adapt to this form, but on the other I do not find the story as rich or as satisfying. I feel that it lacks some of the intrinsic cleverness and subtleties of text that I enjoy in a Pratchett. This genre does not, of course, rely so much on text (apart from dialogue) and instead is based upon, well, graphics. The graphics are ok but now it seems it is just a story here rather than an adventure. There is a whole richness to Twoflower that has been lost.

But I will reserve judgement until I have read the others. o_O

(and the whole bolding of text thing is very annoying).

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
poohbcarrot said:
Ah! I thought so. The COM and LF both came in 4 issues. I've recently bought the originals.

I now have Eric HB
Mort signed by TP and Graham Higgins signed + little picture
Guards Guards HB - only 1500 made
COM/LF originals

My comic collection is complete.
I've got all these as well but none are signed, the next step Pooh is the original artwork. So far I've got one page from the 4th part of The Light Fantastic painted by Joe Bennet. It is interesting because it shows how much bigger the paintings were before being reduced to comic size. The original is on the left and is signed by Terry, the same page cut out of one of the comics is on the right.

Raz

Lance-Corporal
Sep 9, 2010
Deganwy, North Wales
Nice piece you got there Mad Collector! I haven't got anything like that in terms of TP stuff, but I have a storyboard lithiograph from Star Wars: A New Hope, which was used by the special effects department in the making of the film. I will take a pic tonight if anyone is interested

CJDobs

Constable
Sep 10, 2009
Hmmm...

Wow. Having read this and other threads about graphic novels and illustrated Eric etc, I'm starting to think I'm sat on a bit of a goldmine.

My Pratchett collection - including aforementioned graphic novels/illustrated Eric etc - are all first edition prints with the exception of TCOM, LF, ER M and S.

I have the hardback and paperback editions of all UK Pratchett novels since (as purchased on UK release date).

That's what happens when you work in the city centre - I used to visit Waterstones, Dillons and HMV every single lunch hour and whenever anything Discwolrd was released, I just bought it on the day!

Will never sell personally of course, but handy to know there maybe a small nest egg in them for my kids (unless I can convince the little buggers to actually READ them first . . . . . ).

:laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
To be honest, I don't like the style of The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic graphic novels. It's done too much like a stereotypical fantasy comic of the time, and the artwork was too serious. I mean, I viewed the Lady pretty much as Paul Kidby later drew her.

Guards! Guards! was better done, in my opinion. It didn't take itself too seriously, and had an interesting style that fitted.

User Menu

Newsletter