Help Finding Quote...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

MRAF

Oct 23, 2008
Qatar
I'm looking for a quote. I can't remember the exact words or which book.

I'm pretty sure its a narration about Vimes, prob when he is introduced - Possibly in Guards! Guards! But i'm not sure ...

It goes something like this:

'He was an Officer, and like all good Officers he had a way of dealing with difficult problems. That way was called a Sergeant'

You get the idea.

Remember thinking it was brilliant, but I cannot find it for the life of me.

Please can someone help find this and correct the Quote.

Cheers
o_O:

Guards Guards, p. 380 of my Corgi paperback:

This was no time for half measures. He was a captain, godsdammit. An officer. Things like this didn't present a problem for an officer. Officers had a tried and tested way of solving problems like this. It was called a sergeant.

MRAF

Oct 23, 2008
Qatar
TheMole said:
Guards Guards, p. 380 of my Corgi paperback:

He was a captain, godsdammit. An officer. Things like this didn't present a problem for an officer. Officers had a tried and tested way of solving problems like this. It was called a sergeant.
Great stuff thanks Moley!

I tried everything in google to find it, and have scanned my shabby copy of the book.
Nice one, ta!

I'm gonna have it printed and framed and put on my office wall, for all of my Sergeants amusement! The funny thing is its very true. Nothing beats a top quality SNCO when your in a pickle.

TVM

Straw Walker

Lance-Corporal
Feb 6, 2009
Dover
www.g4mix.co.uk
A bit of a refresher for this thread.

I've been going nuts looking for this quote which is the very best (in my humble opinion) descriptions of the kind of storm we see around the Kent chalk hills.

From memory -'The storm stalked around the hills on legs of lightening, grumbling and groaning.'

I'm fairly sure it's Sir PTerry and I thought it was from 'Wee Free Men' or maybe 'Hat Full of Sky'?

Lest

Lance-Constable
Feb 17, 2009
South Yorkshire, UK
Hi SW...

You got my brain buzzing now... i know that quote from one of the Tiff books....

Is it something to do with Hat full of Sky or Wee Free Men where that Legion / Cyclone demon thing is tracking down Tiff... and she falls into a dream where she wakes in a shack on the chalk hills as a storm descends as the legion gets to her...... Then Big ??? (leader of the Mac Nac Feegles) transports into her dream to help her.....

I could be completely wrong and have dreampt thewhole thing though????

Lest

Straw Walker

Lance-Corporal
Feb 6, 2009
Dover
www.g4mix.co.uk
Jan Van Quirm said:
I think there's several like that in the earlier books - I read something like that in Equal Rites a few weeks back and it was about a storm in the Ramtops (naturally) and was basically to the effect that storms had to be tougher there...?
That is where the original quote is from Jan and there is something similar in 'Wee Free Men' but you can't have too much of a good thing :) BTW, I thought my photo of lightning, taken a few years ago, illustrated it well. Just a pity I don't have the sound track :laugh:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
It was good thunderstorm country, up here in the Ramtop Mountains, a country of jagged peaks, dense forests and little river valleys so deep the daylight had no sooner reached the bottom than it was time to leave again. Ragged wisps of cloud clung to the lesser peaks below the mountain trail along which the wizard slithered and slid. A few slot-eyed goats watched him with mild interest. It doesn’t take a lot to interest goats.
Sometimes he would stop and throw his heavy staff into the air. It always came pointing the same way and the wizard would sigh, pick it up, and continue his squelchy progress.
The storm walked around the hills on legs of lightning, shouting and grumbling.
The wizard disappeared around the bend in the track and the goats went back to their damp grazing.

Equal Rites. Page 8.

User Menu

Newsletter