I Ate'nt Dead ...a question about Granny Weatherwax's famous note

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

!UGH!

Jun 16, 2019
Hello, I have a short question.
Which one was the first Discworld novel including Granny Weatherwax's famous -I Ate'nt Dead- note.
I'm still working on to complete my Discworld collection, better late than never.
Thanks in advance.

!UGH!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think it might be Equal Rites. That was certainly the first time someone thought she was dead. If not that one, certainly one of the early ones such as Wyrd Sisters. :) I hope that helps.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
According to Wiki, it was first used in Lords and Ladies (I'm surprised at that!). Here's what Wiki says:
However, while her mind is out Borrowing, her body falls into a catatonic, almost death-like trance; it is revealed in Lords And Ladies that in order to prevent embarrassing accidents, she has taken to wearing a placard reading "I ATE'NT DEAD" [sic] when she does so (After her actual death, she was found lying in bed with this placard on her chest, "ATE'NT" crossed out and the card now reading "I IS PROBLY DEAD").

!UGH!

Jun 16, 2019
Great, now we know :) Lord & Ladies it is.
Yesterday I checked -Equal Rites- and found only a part were Granny says she forgot to put a note.
And good to know that it's really 'I ATE'NT DEAD', I got that line tattooed after Sir Pratchett had his visit from that guy who always SPEAKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Granny definitely borrowed in both WS and WA. In "Wyrd Sisters", she tuned her mind to the "mind" of Lancre. In "Witches Abroad", she "borrowed" the mind of the wolf who was never going to eat Red Riding Hood's granny. :)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter