Iain Banks

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
Beyond Birthday said:
I have a hardback copy of Transition but I'm a little worried it might be preachy (you know, 9/11). I've had it for awhile now. Is it preachy? Also, how is Feersum Enjinn? That's the one I really want.
Excellent. You might take a couple of chapters of Bascule's style to get used to it - you'll see what I mean - but when you do it's great. He's the most endearing character I have come across in any of Banks' books. Banks doesn't really do endearing most of the time :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Beyond Birthday said:
I have a hardback copy of Transition but I'm a little worried it might be preachy (you know, 9/11).
Actually I've had it for a while myself, and haven't got round to it yet. Let me know how it goes ;)

Feersum Endjin is good, this is the one with Bascule in it. If you can understand the title, you won't have too much trouble with the prose!

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
The Mad Collector said:
I was just irritated by Feersum Endjin the first time I read it but eventually came to sort of like it. I much prefer his other books especially The Player of Games and The Algebraist. Waiting for Surface Detail to come out in paperback
I can understand that, but I'm so use to reading leet speak by now that I didn't find it too much trouble, I really enjoyed it in fact. I have to agree about The Algebraist, that was stunning!

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Antiq, with your love of Iain Banks and Frequenting Chapters did you happen to make the reading and signing session there earlier this year.
It was fantastic. :laugh:

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
pip said:
Antiq, with your love of Iain Banks and Frequenting Chapters did you happen to make the reading and signing session there earlier this year.
It was fantastic. :laugh:
No :( I'm horrible at keeping up with event news.

nickinwestwales

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2011
Love `em all-Whit,Crow Road & Espedair St favourite `real(ish) world` titles-love all the SF ones:- whats not to like about books that feature planet sized space ships with delightfully eclectic names controlled by utterly barking mad AI`s-He and Ian Rankin are the two finest authors to come out of Fife
ATB
Nick

User Menu

Newsletter