If Discworld was edited "for Americans"

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Some of us, of a certain age, grew up in Britain with nearly every other TV show being an American one. So I find it easier to understand Americanisms than Sharlene does if she watches a DVD of a British movie.

In fact the other day I started to sing the theme to the Beverly Hillbillies. And I'm the only Brit that I know who can remember a TV series called 'My Mother the Car'. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
pip said:
Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
Eh? :eek:
I was, for once in my life, sticking up for the US.(believe it or not) :eek:
I never implied that Americans speak a different language. :eek:
If the Americans should leave the books alone, then should all other nationalities leave the books alone too? (is the point I was making.)
That's worth at least one rolly-eyes. :rolleyes:
It wasn't what you were saying about Americans. It's your attitude to a new member of the forum - and you don't know where blake9 comes from, so you shouldn't have been confrontational. Roll your eyes all you want.
He picks on me too :( :(
Cheers pip. :p

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
blake9 said:
I've never seen anything improved by being Americanised.

They should leave the books alone.
So DW books should never be translated into different languages?
You know full well that is not what was meant. Americans speak the same language as us (perhaps not the same as you).
Cheers Dotsie. :p So you agree this accusation was false then? o_O

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Clearly I was agreeing with pip that you picked on a newbie. You might cause less offence in future if you read posts properly.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Dear blake9

I apologise if my post in response to yours seemed in any way confrontational. It was not intended to be. :(

A while back I made some tongue-in-cheek comments about the US and one person took them the wrong way and started slagging off America, thus insulting some of the Forum members. My post was trying to nip another such problem in the bud.

Sorry if you were offended. :(

Poohcarrot.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Dotsie said:
Yeah, well, I only said might :p
Might implies some level of probability but i can't see the statement being true no matter what trouser leg of time we venture into.

Even quantum has limitations. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
poohcarrot said:
Dear blake9

I apologise if my post in response to yours seemed in any way confrontational. It was not intended to be. :(

A while back I made some tongue-in-cheek comments about the US and one person took them the wrong way and started slagging off America, thus insulting some of the Forum members. My post was trying to nip another such problem in the bud.

Sorry if you were offended. :(

Poohcarrot.
Holy crap on a cracker. Pooh is handing out apologies.
Form an orderly queue.
:laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
poohcarrot said:
pip said:
Its friday, I'm tired and whatever.
....it's Crackerjack! :laugh:

You might be too young and too Irish to get that! Tony and Jan will understand though. :laugh:
My mother does talk about crackerjack but i think it ended about three years after i was born. Hard to believe but the BBC transmitted here way back when. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Given that in certain parts of yahoo America, they still ban books like "Huckleberry Finn" and "Catcher in the Rye" from public and school libraries, I can imagine the report from a typical citizens group if presented with all the DW books to be considered for inclusion.

1. Colour of Money/Light Fantastic/Interesting Times/Sourcery/Eric: All out. Full of occult magic, and claim that other gods besides Jesus Christ exists.

2. Wyrd Sisters/Witches Abroad/Lord and Ladies/Carpe Jugulum/Maskerade: All out, because they witches are treated as people who work for the good of humanity, instead of the devil-worshipping evil women they really are.

3. Pyramids: Out entirely for assumption that other gods than Jesus exist.

4. Small Gods: No explanation necessary.

5. Thief of Time: Totally out for assuming that anyone other than God and Jesus control time. Also, improper use of Four Horsemen, since they don't precede reappearance of Jesus.

6. Equal Rites: Out because it's more sorcery, plus use of magic staff with life of its own. Only Moses can use a magic staff, because his is powered by God.

7. Going Postal: Totally out because main character is a thief who doesn't repent of his sins through prayer to Jesus. And he makes offering to false gods.

8. Making Money: Totally out because main character prays to the false god Anoia to save him and is saved by this false goddess. Also implication that main character appears to be having improper relations with his fiance before marriage.

9. Monstrous Regiment: Totally out, due to the abomination of cross-dressing and prayer to false gods and prophets.

10. The whole Tiffany Aching series: Totally out as it advocates for seducing young girls into becoming witches.

11. Hogfather: Totally out because narrative assumes that it is people who create gods, rather than the other way around. Plus, Hogfather holiday demonstrates no religious reverence.

12. Mort: Totally out, as main character works in the service of Death.

13. Reaper Man: Totally out, as it has inter-species romantic relationships and shows agents of God (Death) shirking their responsibilities. Also creates unnatural character of Susan who is semi-devine without being granted this status by God.

14. Men at Arms: Totally out because of bestial relations between humans and undead creatures.

15. Feet of Clay: Totally out because of inanimate objects being given life and sentience by a being other than God. Plus, gender hiding.

16. The Fifth Elephant: Totally out due to portrayal of vampires as positive, helpful creatures rather than the demon spawn of Satan. Plus, it features a talking dog whose talent was granted by magic, rather than God.

17. Moving Pictures: Totally out due to dog that speaks because of his proximity to occult magic, rather than having been granted this power by God.

18. Thud! Totally out due to presence of unrepentant stripper who has an unnatural relationship with a man of interminate species. Plus it features athiestic thought in the form of dwarfs who deny that their God actively guides their lives.

19. The Truth: Out due to portrayal as a vampire as being reformed without clear statement that his conversion is possible because of a belief in Jesus. Plus, the villainous characters are offered reincarnation after death rather than being sent to Hell.

20. Night Watch: Out because the main character runs around naked at the end.

21. The Lost Hero: Out because characters attempt to use scientific exploration to understand the world, rather than accepting that the world is at is because God made it and that's that.

Leaving (I think) the only acceptable books:

21. Soul Music is acceptable if the Death character's name is changed to the Angel of Death. Acceptable because main character dies as a consequence of his actions in popularizing the use rock and roll music.

22. Guards! Guards! Although villainous character uses occult magic to create a dragon, he is defeated in battle. Main character, a slovenly drunk, is redeemed by his heroic actions.

Report concluded.

J-I-B

Apr 29, 2009
London
raisindot said:
8. Making Money: Totally out because main character prays to the false god Anoia to save him and is saved by this false goddess. Also implication that main character appears to be having improper relations with his fiance before marriage.

17. Making Money: Totally out due to dog that speaks because of his proximity to occult magic, rather than having been granted this power by God.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Bouncy Castle said:
They don't change books in the other direction, though.

I've read many a book set in America, and have yet to find out what a stoop is. :laugh:
Its when you don't drink milk all your life Bouncy... and your bones get thin and then you get old and have to use a cane and you walk with a STOOP. And then you find it really really hard to use your cane in one hand and your shopping trolley in the other hand when you try to get up on the STOOP.

User Menu

Newsletter