Jack in the office...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
.... is trying very hard to persuade me to read the Harry Potter books.

I've seen some of the movies (on telly), but have never read the books.

Is it worth my while?

I've just tried to explain Discworld to him, and I'd only got as far as the Disc, the elephants and the turtle, and he said it was way too much for him to accept!! :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I enjoyed the Harry Potter books as well. Bought the last few on the day they came on sale and read them straight away. :)

However, I've never felt inclined to reread them. I don't think they are particularly deep. Pratchett books are more satisfying, but you certainly might enjoy the Potters. There's a lot more to them than the movies. ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Don't know about that. I've read them all twice. Its a fair bit less than the ol discworld but i find they flow quite well and are generally enjoyable.

Definitely worth a look.

I've read each of them once and like them. My other half is a huge fan, though, and has read them all about 20 times. I like the films a lot as well.

Well worth it on average I would say, though, they only get really good from Azkaban onwards, just like the films. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They certainly flow very well. I think she caused herself a lot of problems by writing everything from Harry's point of view though. As far as I can remember, there's only one bit in one of the last books that is not from this point of view.

That's the bit with Tony Blair in. ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
DaveC said:
Bouncy Castle said:
Tony Blair?

That's put me right off 'em. :eek:
Well its says Prime Minister - read them now and you can imagine David Cameron. :)
Timeline wise would it not be John Major. I remember someone questioning her timelines as the primeminister referes to his predescessor as a man but it would have been Maggie Tatcher.

I didn't see the problem. :laugh:

I grew up on the Potters, and I'm a huge fan of the Potter series! ;) Read them all in two languages and used to listen to the audiobooks in dutch, which was great.

I've never been a big Harry fan though. I mean, he's just a boy with a huge hero complex, and he quite annoys me sometimes. But the others I do like. ;)

spoiler said:
I do think that Rowling wanted to kill Harry in the and, just couldn't, not because of emotional purposes, but because, like Tony said, she made a big mistake by writing only in Harry's point of view. You can't tell how you're dying... Well, I guess you can, but that'd be like: ...and than the world faded away, and darkness came. Or something like that, but anyway, you can't end a book like that...

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
mystmoon said:
They peak at about book 3/4 and then they're not so enjoyable (she needed a good editing job on the last few I reckon)
A friend of mine wrote her masters thesis on the Harry Potter series and got a first .
Goes to show what you can get away with :laugh:

pip said:
mystmoon said:
They peak at about book 3/4 and then they're not so enjoyable (she needed a good editing job on the last few I reckon)
A friend of mine wrote her masters thesis on the Harry Potter series and got a first .
Goes to show what you can get away with :laugh:
I did mine on how Peter Jackson's previous films influenced how he made the Lord of the Rings films and I got a 2:1 - :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :laugh:

The Prime Minister (definitely Tony Blair) is in it for about 5 pages so imagine any recent male PM you like, but Major was way before the book and any timeline was even written ;)

The writing's pretty good, particuarly the dialogue and the magical names and places and spell-associated objects, but it's the characterisation that made me want to scream as it tends to be heaven or hell - luckily in the films the casting was absolutely spot on in most cases, so that carried it pretty well if you were reading the books after the films (which I was up until The Prisoner of Askaban). If it's book first then seeing the film will help a lot with reading the later characters, but overall because its focussing on Harry most of the time it's rather like Frodo in LotR and after about Bk 3 you want to shake him and scream FFS lighten up a bit you self-obsessed anal little nerd! :twisted: Ditto Ron - Hermione kind of improves 'cos you want to scream that at her within about a chapter of her being introduced, but she mellows and is quite likeable in a Rincewind sort of way after a while - for being the voice of reason mostly :p

What I dislike about JKR is that she's definitely standing on the shoulders of giants and there's very little in the fantasy line that's new - she's great at giving things a new spin on in terms of updating and making things a little 'edgier' - the later books are definitely darker and not really for little kids as a rule I'd say. Hogwarts is terrific fun but after a while I got the distinct feeling I was reading about a magical Mallory Towers or St. Clares (Enid Blyton boarding school books to the young and/or uninitiated :rolleyes: ). They're definitely fun to read and not too bad on the re-reading front (I've still got to get the last 2 books though and I'm not into that except for Terry for some reason these days) but to some extent she's over-rated I think because the books lack depth and were definitely written for children and kind of growing up with them in some respects. In that she does deserve the success she's had in making a whole generation want to read fiction, let alone fantasy. But she's no Terry at the end of the day, really because she's got far too much appeal and popularity so the books are essentially too 'easy' for people who want to be swept up by more than the admittedly amusing smoke and mirrors. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter