Jack in the office...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Jan Van Quirm said:
As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :laugh:

The Prime Minister (definitely Tony Blair) is in it for about 5 pages so imagine any recent male PM you like, but Major was way before the book and any timeline was even written ;)
Definitely Major as the PM time as the year is 1996 based on Harrys age etc. rememeber the books are set a few years before there publishing dates. Harry was born in 1980 . Sorry for the geek moment . :oops:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
pip said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :laugh:

The Prime Minister (definitely Tony Blair) is in it for about 5 pages so imagine any recent male PM you like, but Major was way before the book and any timeline was even written ;)
Definitely Major as the PM time as the year is 1996 based on Harrys age etc. rememeber the books are set a few years before there publishing dates. Harry was born in 1980 . Sorry for the geek moment . :oops:
Major was still PM in 1996 - Bloody hell!!!!! :laugh:

Well there you go - but Labour got into government in May 1997 so it was Blair when they were making film... :rolleyes: The PM character (such as it is) is nothing like JM, so I'd say that's a publisher's edit requirement for reprints as all JM had going for him was his Spitting Image puppet - anyway it's fiction so you have to use your imagination ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Jan Van Quirm said:
pip said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

Well there you go - but Labour got into government in May 1997 so it was Blair when they were making film... :rolleyes: The PM character (such as it is) is nothing like JM, so I'd say that's a publisher's edit requirement for reprints as all JM had going for him was his Spitting Image puppet - anyway it's fiction so you have to use your imagination ;)
One of JK Rowlings biggest weaknesses was keeping track of timelines so its quite propable she had tony in mind to be honest but i just wanted to nerd out a little. Did love the ol grey man in spitting image all right. :laugh:

pip said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
pip said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

One of JK Rowlings biggest weaknesses was keeping track of timelines so its quite propable she had tony in mind to be honest but i just wanted to nerd out a little. Did love the ol grey man in spitting image all right. :laugh:
I remember someone mentioning Playstation in either Philosopher's or Chamber and its meant to be set way before then in the book!

poohcarrot said:
I must admit that I thought all the characters in the films were quite true to how I imagined them to be, apart from the dementors, and I thought Peter O'Toole was a better Dumbledor. :p
That would have been interesting - I reckon Gambon is way better than Harris but I always feel bad saying he should've been cast originally

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
O'Toole's too gaunt - although Dumbles was supposed to be very tall.

Michael Gambon was better and more avuncular as Harry got closer to him. Richard Harris certainly looked the part. but sadly I think he was far too vague and slooooooow or too mawkish like his Caesar in Gladiator :rolleyes:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
What Jan said in her first post. I grew up out west without TV so I read my first novel by age five. My Dad was a book nut so we had books everywhere. Look: It takes me about a year to learn my own babies names and though I love books I can never remember most of the authors; I just wish I could remember who JK Rowling reminds me of. I read the Harry Potter books because the then teen who put me onto Terry Pratchett was a HUGE Harry fan so I thought I should look. I feel like I have read stories VERY familiar to Harry Potter before as a kid (magic, child wizards, dragons, etc). Jan, the Harry Potter kids ARE self obsessed (they are pubescent adolescents: its all me me me me me in real life too). What really annoyed me about JK Rowling is the woman. That and the fact that the stories are fairly simple and she made a HUGE thing about taking years to develop the story lines, and even then she had to fix them and fix them. Now, if TP can do 27 books a year (ok an exageration) with tales that are better written, characters who are more developed and blah blah blah (you know what I am saying)... why was she sainted for pushing out a few books with years and years in between. Okay I'm biased. Most authors are good for ONE book if that, and if she put one kid on the road to reading then great. But I don't think SHE deserves the praise for that accomplishment; her publicists do. (though I have found myself using her "exelliatus" spells whilst spraying Preen on a stained shirt once)

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Jan Van Quirm said:
O'Toole's too gaunt - although Dumbles was supposed to be very tall.

Michael Gambon was better and more avuncular as Harry got closer to him. Richard Harris certainly looked the part. but sadly I think he was far too vague and slooooooow or too mawkish like his Caesar in Gladiator :rolleyes:
Harris was playing Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator :p

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
pip said:
Bouncy Castle said:
Which is odd, since you were studying mathematics at the time! ;)
Did mine on trains . Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.

Got a first though :laugh:
:laugh: Nothing wrong with trains Pip :laugh: I grew up out west as a "Railway Kid" :) Dad was a fettler then he became a ganger :laugh: you know what that means huh? YEP! HE was in charge of the trikes!!!!!! I had five older brothers so Dad would let us take out the old push/pull trike (it was the spare as they had electric trikes) and we would hook up the cart behind it. As the trains only ran twice a week, and it was near the end of the line it was pretty safe. Word would spread that Mr. R had let his sons take the trike out and kids from ALL over town would turn up begging to come for a ride :laugh: He He He When we were a few miles out of town, the boys would suddenly GASP! "Oh God! I forgot! There is a special due through today! An express!" Would scare the crap outta the town kids! Then they would pull the trike up and put their ears to the lines (ala the Lone Ranger and Tonto) ... "I think I can hear the train!!!!" Some kids would be crying .. HA HA HA Never seen town kids push and pull so damn fast in your life Pip! We would come screaming into the Rail Station with sparkes flying from the wheels. Dad and the Stationmaster would blast the boys for going to fast and endangering lives, til one of the town kids would tell them about the express coming and Dad would say "Yes, well it got cancelled!", ground my brothers from the trike for a month and they would walk off shaking trying not to laugh. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
deldaisy said:
pip said:
Bouncy Castle said:
Which is odd, since you were studying mathematics at the time! ;)
Did mine on trains . Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.

Got a first though :laugh:
:laugh: Nothing wrong with trains Pip :laugh: I grew up out west as a "Railway Kid" :) Dad was a fettler then he became a ganger :laugh: you know what that means huh? YEP! HE was in charge of the trikes!!!!!! I had five older brothers so Dad would let us take out the old push/pull trike (it was the spare as they had electric trikes) and we would hook up the cart behind it. As the trains only ran twice a week, and it was near the end of the line it was pretty safe. Word would spread that Mr. R had let his sons take the trike out and kids from ALL over town would turn up begging to come for a ride :laugh: He He He When we were a few miles out of town, the boys would suddenly GASP! "Oh God! I forgot! There is a special due through today! An express!" Would scare the crap outta the town kids! Then they would pull the trike up and put their ears to the lines (ala the Lone Ranger and Tonto) ... "I think I can hear the train!!!!" Some kids would be crying .. HA HA HA Never seen town kids push and pull so damn fast in your life Pip! We would come screaming into the Rail Station with sparkes flying from the wheels. Dad and the Stationmaster would blast the boys for going to fast and endangering lives, til one of the town kids would tell them about the express coming and Dad would say "Yes, well it got cancelled!", ground my brothers from the trike for a month and they would walk off shaking trying not to laugh. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ah the fun. :laugh: Nothing quite so much fun for me. I recreated routes which had been ripped up in ireland to sell scrap to Nazi germany to see how useful they would be in terms of rural transport in the west of ireland now. Boring.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Oh dear Pip... that IS boring huh? :laugh: :laugh:
I can see it now.....
*phone rings*
"Ya?"
"Ummmmm Herr Vonzing? Zere izt a group of zer Irish peoples riiiiipping up ze railvay tracken on zer Berliner line Sir. Vot is ve should be doing about zis?......... Nein! Zay are lookingk like friendly Irish peoples and are zinging Ist a Longen Vay Zu Tipperarien.... Ya Herr Vonzing... I did azk zem... Vy you are doingk zist und taking der railvay tracken? UND zay are tellingk me... Buggeren ze off zu German Vanker... deizen tracken ist urz und ve vant dem back!"

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
deldaisy said:
Oh dear Pip... that IS boring huh? :laugh: :laugh:
I can see it now.....
*phone rings*
"Ya?"
"Ummmmm Herr Vonzing? Zere izt a group of zer Irish peoples riiiiipping up ze railvay tracken on zer Berliner line Sir. Vot is ve should be doing about zis?......... Nein! Zay are lookingk like friendly Irish peoples and are zinging Ist a Longen Vay Zu Tipperarien.... Ya Herr Vonzing... I did azk zem... Vy you are doingk zist und taking der railvay tracken? UND zay are tellingk me... Buggeren ze off zu German Vanker... deizen tracken ist urz und ve vant dem back!"

Wow that matches word for word one of my paragraphs . crazy :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter