Jack in the office...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
deldaisy said:
I just wish I could remember who JK Rowling reminds me of. I read the Harry Potter books because the then teen who put me onto Terry Pratchett was a HUGE Harry fan so I thought I should look. I feel like I have read stories VERY familiar to Harry Potter before as a kid (magic, child wizards, dragons, etc).
Have a look at Eva Ibbotson's The Secret of Platform 11 (it was published first). You'll have deja vu all over again ;)

But I do like the Harry Potter books, in general. I thought they started off good, got really good, then trailed off to slightly obscure over-long tomes, that would have benefited from better editing (and JKR not being so strange about the plotlines). As for the timelines, well, it's fantasy isn't it? It could be set anywhere and anywhen. I have to say the PM didn't remind me of anyone at all.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Dotsie said:
deldaisy said:
I just wish I could remember who JK Rowling reminds me of. I read the Harry Potter books because the then teen who put me onto Terry Pratchett was a HUGE Harry fan so I thought I should look. I feel like I have read stories VERY familiar to Harry Potter before as a kid (magic, child wizards, dragons, etc).
Have a look at Eva Ibbotson's The Secret of Platform 11 (it was published first). You'll have deja vu all over again ;)

But I do like the Harry Potter books, in general. I thought they started off good, got really good, then trailed off to slightly obscure over-long tomes, that would have benefited from better editing (and JKR not being so strange about the plotlines). As for the timelines, well, it's fantasy isn't it? It could be set anywhere and anywhen. I have to say the PM didn't remind me of anyone at all.

The plot is formulaic and is similar in style to a few books i'm sure.
agree with the editing shortfalls and timelines are secondary in this sort of book.

Even pterrys timeline becomes a little muddled. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
pip said:
Dotsie said:

A boy is kidnapped as a baby and grows up in a regular family, who have one other son, and the whole family bullies him & makes him sleep in the basement. He has no idea that he's actually the heir to the throne of a magical kingdom, which can only be accessed though a secret entrance on platform 11 of King's Cross. He is eventually rescued by a witch and a giant (and a third one, I forget who), who have been sent by the King to fetch him.

It's a bit more than similar, but I read an interview with Eva Ibbotson where she said she didn't mind & was quite flattered. So that's alright then.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
pip said:
Bouncy Castle said:
Did mine on trains. Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.
Man, that just reminded me of the Robert Rankin book I'm reading, "Raiders of the Lost Car Park," where Prince Charles is a side character. And he sits all day thinking about trains. Even when he's shagging a beautiful personal assistant.

:laugh:

I don't get this thing with trains you Brits have. I don't get it. Why don't you take up a proper American-style obsession, like tweeting, fantasy football, overclocking your PC, and building a meth lab?

:)

J-I-B

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
raisindot said:
pip said:
Bouncy Castle said:
Did mine on trains. Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.
Man, that just reminded me of the Robert Rankin book I'm reading, "Raiders of the Lost Car Park," where Prince Charles is a side character. And he sits all day thinking about trains. Even when he's shagging a beautiful personal assistant.

:laugh:

I don't get this thing with trains you Brits have. I don't get it. Why don't you take up a proper American-style obsession, like tweeting, fantasy football, overclocking your PC, and building a meth lab?

:)

J-I-B
Major error Raisindot.
I am most definitely not British.
Like the americans we kicked em out and have been enjoying independence for quite a while. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Bouncy Castle said:
Then you come over here and tarmac our drives whether we want it done or not!!!

God, I haven't seen/heard of that for years. Wonder if it still goes on?
I'll take the job and throw in a dog with it. :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Dotsie said:
pip said:
Dotsie said:

A boy is kidnapped as a baby and grows up in a regular family, who have one other son, and the whole family bullies him & makes him sleep in the basement. He has no idea that he's actually the heir to the throne of a magical kingdom, which can only be accessed though a secret entrance on platform 11 of King's Cross. He is eventually rescued by a witch and a giant (and a third one, I forget who), who have been sent by the King to fetch him.

It's a bit more than similar, but I read an interview with Eva Ibbotson where she said she didn't mind & was quite flattered. So that's alright then.
Oh my Isn't Eva Ibbotson casual about plagarism. Thanks for that Dotsie.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Bouncy Castle said:
Then you come over here and tarmac our drives whether we want it done or not!!!

God, I haven't seen/heard of that for years. Wonder if it still goes on?
Don't panic Bouncy. They are all over here now. Yeah and THIS time I am sticking with my policy: I am NOT dating an Irishman ever again.

User Menu

Newsletter