Knighthood for Terry Pratchett

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 26, 2008
Finland
Hmm, the link dosen't seem to work anymore. However, the article did say:
Fantasy author Terry Pratchett has carved out a career as a best-selling author with tales of wizards and sorcerers. Now he has been made a real-life knight, honored alongside Olympic athletes and rock singer Robert Plant in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year honors list.

The British writer, who is known for his "Discworld" series of novels and has sold more than 55 million books worldwide, given a knighthood Wednesday. Pratchett, who won a lesser honor in 1998, announced last year that he has early onset Alzheimer's, a rare form of the disease.

"There are times when phrases such as 'totally astonished' just don't do the job," said Pratchett, 60. "I am of course delighted and honored and — needless to say — flabbergasted."

(I still have the window open, even if the articles gone now)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
It's not 100% certain yet I'm afraid Katarina - have to wait until Jan 1st for the official confirmations. There've been other 'leaks' about other people getting knighthoods and other honours as well - often these are denied by the issuing office. Sometimes in the past (so its said) people have actually been taken off the list because it's supposed to be a complete secret beforehand and though people are notified that they're getting an OBE or whatever they're supposed to keep it dead secret until the announcements are made officially.

This is the official website for the awards (and they go up to the Birthday Honours 2008 as the latest on the list - so the 2009 Honours definitely aren't up yet)

The New Year's Honours are the Prime Minister's nominations (well his office anyway as they sift the nominations for him) - the Queen does the Birthday Honours in the summer (as its her birthday - or is it just her official birthday? Ah nuts!

My guess is that Terry will certainly get some recognition (and hopefully it will be a Sir Terryship) as he's met with Prime Minister very recently for his Alzheimers awareness-raising :laugh:

Swiftlady

Dec 31, 2008
Wales
www.housemorgain.co.uk
Hmm mixed feelings.

As a Brit I detest the system of honours that treats the high and mighty as if they are special. If you don't live here or if you live here as a foreigner then you can't know the utterly awful depths of snobbery Brit society is.

I have people in my family who have had the MBE or OBE so I don't have chip on shoulder problems. I just think that you have to respect those who GIVE the honours, and I do not.

However although I don't like the system I think I can trust TP to treat this as a nice bit of fun and not be taken in by it. If it cheers him up at the moment then it's a Good Thing.

dakid

Dec 31, 2008
This news is so great I've been prompted to register on the forum just to say congratulations! Superb news and very well deserved ... well done, Sir Terry! :)

Judet

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Knighthood

Fabulous, Sir Terry! Ecstatic congratulations. My whole family ADORE your books and we are all so pleased that (at last) some honour is being given where it is so richly deserved.

Barndoor

Dec 31, 2008
Sheffield
Hello, newby here.

Just wanted to say after so many dubious 'party donation' awards over the years a knighthood for Terry is one that is truly deserved. Wondered for some time why he was only in posession of a pifling little OBE.

Here's hoping that his magick is equal to the 'Z' thing and he has many more years of success

Dec 31, 2008
Fab!

I've joined just to say Well Done, what lovely news!
Whatever you think about the system it's great to see Sir Terry recognised.
Very Happy New Year :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter