Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It tends to vary with me depending on which one I've just read.

I'm not a great fan of Eric, Last Continent, Sourcery, Pyramids (although I love the start of this one), Moving Pictures and Making Money.

I don't hate any of the books and I like all of them - although I'm really finding it hard to like Making Money at all. o_O

Ezekiel000

Lance-Constable
Oct 7, 2008
My least favourites are Lords And Ladies & Carpe Jugulum.
As I'm not comfortable with mind manipulation, which is a shame as Agnes Nitt is one of my favourite characters.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Making Money requires a dual-read.
It's better the second time. Honest.

I can't quite like The Lost Continent. It seems "busy" to me, but then I have not read it in some time.

Must admit, Monstrous Regiment grew on me after the third trip.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Ezekiel000 said:
My least favourites are Lords And Ladies & Carpe Jugulum.
As I'm not comfortable with mind manipulation, which is a shame as Agnes Nitt is one of my favourite characters.
Me, too. Or maybe that's "me, neither."
That Granny overcomes both the Queen and Magpyr and gets to keep "herself" is sort of the point.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Oh I loved Good Omens the four Bikers of the Apocalypse did it for me following the 4 horsemen bombing down the M4 so funny. :)
Small Gods did not like that much, Colour of Magic my 1st long time ago the parody of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in it brilliant. :)

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Tonyblack said:
I'm not a great fan of Eric, Last Continent, Sourcery, Pyramids (although I love the start of this one), Moving Pictures and Making Money.
What's with the Rincewind-ism?
I love Eric and Last Continent.
And Pyramids is in my top 5

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Did anyone else read Strata? I would like to know whether it gave you a headache like the one I got trying to get into it.
I did - a long time ago. I haven't re-read it though and maybe I should. Dark Side of the Sun is another that I probably need to re-read. o_O

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
There are two books that I dislike. One is Carpe Jugulum, which I feel is a rehash of Lords and Ladies. I think PTerry wanted to write the classic Vampire movie book and couldn't think of any other place to have than Lancre. It has all the same themes as L&L and situations.

Also Making Money was was rehash of Going Postal which the latter is a VERY superior book! I just hope that the next Moist book much better than MM. I was hoping the Moist would be a secondary character like William De Worde and make an appereance here and there. Since GP was such a tour de force for the stamps I felt that there was not may places for him to go. He was great in GP but almost one dimensional. He's a con man who had it coming and got what was coming and made good with it.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Hi Exp. Date, the rat

A couple of questions;

a) What does "Exp. Date, the rat" mean? I looked on the "explain your avatar" thread and didn't see it.

b) Your signature is bugging me. It says "What a wonderful!" What a wonderful WHAT?

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
poohbcarrot said:
Hi Exp. Date, the rat

A couple of questions;

a) What does "Exp. Date, the rat" mean? I looked on the "explain your avatar" thread and didn't see it.
I am from Bad Blintz! Don't you know the great tradition of our Naming Ceremonies!

poohbcarrot said:
b) Your signature is bugging me. It says "What a wonderful!" What a wonderful WHAT?
It is an open ended statment! You should just fill in what you think is wonderful and go with it! :laugh: It has since been corrected.

In fact my whole Bio has been updated. Forgot to do it and kept meaning to. Thanks for making me get off my tail and do it! :laugh:

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Oh dear gods! Just reread this thread and realise I've made a huge blunder!!!!! I LOVE GOOD OMENS - it's Small gods I don't like :eek: :oops: :oops: I must have been posting in my sleep or something...

AgnesOgg

Lance-Corporal
Jun 10, 2009
Bergen, Norway
Least favorite book

I don`t like Color of Magic or Light Fantastic, I feel they are to busy being general parodies. Love Rincewind an TwoFlower ;)

I read Strata. Can`t find much good to say about it.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can't read the first two any more, I just can't stand Rincewind, Twoflower bores me, & all the characters I love either aren't there or are unrecognisable. Also I didn't like Moving Pictures but I can't really pin down why that is o_O

But the first time I read COM & TLF they blew me away & started something amazing, so there you go! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter