SPOILERS Making Money Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
A

Anonymous

raisindot said:
Mikkym said:
I felt the same as many of the other crytics of Terrys "Making Money", in that, it did not fullfil me in any way whatsoever. But saying that, I have only read the first few chapters before getting bored.[/b]
There are definitely a lot of dull parts to MM, but you should try to finish it if you can because the last third is very good and the climactic scene is one of the best in all of the DW books.
Umm... No? Or are you mistaking MM with GP here?
Sorry, but the 'climatic scene' was pretty anti-climatic and anything but memorable.
Not to mention...

Spoiler said:
It's a bit off to see Moist on one hand wonder how Mr Bent did not know the old 'i was just testing you' trick, while Moist himself fails to remember the even older 'F*ck yes I KNOW I look like that bloke Do you know how often I was mistaken for that guy that got hanged ever since I came here?!' trick.

Maura:-D

Lance-Constable
Oct 21, 2011
Glasgow!!!!
So I haven't read the other posts on this- there's so many!- but just had to but in... I love both Going Postal and Making Money. I love Moist as a charater, and how he develops, but sometimes I get the two books confused, and I don't want to go in to detail in case I embarass myself! :oops: [/b]

Nov 13, 2011
A few pages back there was discussion of how much owned golems can act of their own will. Well, in Feet of Clay the golems got together and built their child/king Meshuga. I'm pretty sure that was not in their chems or any verbal instructions of their respective masters. It seems that at least during their time off golems can act independently, as long as they don't contradict their chems. (This does not seem to apply to the Umnian golems if they can stay put for millennia.)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
cabbagehead said:
A few pages back there was discussion of how much owned golems can act of their own will. Well, in Feet of Clay the golems got together and built their child/king Meshuga. I'm pretty sure that was not in their chems or any verbal instructions of their respective masters. It seems that at least during their time off golems can act independently, as long as they don't contradict their chems. (This does not seem to apply to the Umnian golems if they can stay put for millennia.)
The Umnian golems don't have chems; therefore, they are incapable of the kind of independent thought that led "real" golems to achieve sentience and develop their own sense of morality. They are nearly entirely little more than the 'tools' that the shopkeepers of AM thought the original golems were until the efforts of the golems to create a king and the resulting insanity of Meshuga and the chem-less thinking of Dorft proved them wrong. At best, the Umnians golems were able to communicate some sense of loneliness (or a desire to reach out to others), but beyond that they really are little more than robots.

SpyViolette

Lance-Constable
Nov 3, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.witchybee.com
I liked Making Money, but not nearly as much as I liked GP. I felt like it took a while for Moist to get back into character, but I do think Vetinari was particularly great in this one.

It just seemed like certain parts didn't come together as smoothly as I would have hoped to see. I'm extremely excited for the possibility of another Lipwig book though; he's one of my favorite DW characters.

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
I didn't enjoy MM as much as GP, mainly because they were too similar.

As for the ring, I'd always pictured Vetinari having one, because it would be entirely in character for someone like him to have one and use it regularly.

francis

May 2, 2012
Hi folks,
Wayyyyy late to the party I know, but I've only just read MM and the court of inquiry scene really threw me for a loop. Basically Moist, who spent the entirety of GP coming to terms with the damage his criminal past has caused - not least to Adora, who lost her job, her inheritance and her father to his defrauding and the resulting run on the banks. Not surprisingly, she thought he was utter scum until he managed to convince her he'd changed his ways.

Yet in MM he cheerfully brushes off those crimes as no big deal - I don't have the text in front of me, but something along the lines of it being the banks' own fault for not catching on. This in a room where we're told Adora is sitting right in the front row - Adora, a woman who attacked bloody Detritus the day before in a fit of pique - and yet there's no apparent fallout at all!

I'm the last person to jump on the Moist-bashing bandwagon and I really like the turn Terry's taken towards nuanced characterisation and commentary, but that one felt like a real clanger... or did I miss something here?

A

Anonymous

Hello and welcome to the site.

Depends on who you ask the answer to that question will either be 'yes' 'no' or something along the lines of 'RRRAARRGHFUIVh HOW Dare U critzice Sir Terry!??! Hes the bestest outhur EV4R!!!1!11!vufguuvkuefvc! '

My answer would be:
No, you did not miss anything. The ending to MM did feel rushed and forced, recycling ideas from Feet of Clay, Interesting Times and Going Postal to a degree and not caring much about the previous charactertraits that made Moist a very neat addition to the cast originally.

francis

May 2, 2012
Re:

Jan Van Quirm said:
:laugh: You are soooooooooo literal!

It's nothing to do with feminism at all! - you said...
Everything she does for Moist, from pressing his pants to bringing his newspaper to getting him his breakfast are the actions of a lovestruck person.
Those are the actions of a female who's got over being lovestruck quite some time ago (Lovestruck is 2nd stage attraction - well 3rd perhaps after WOW and scraping your chin off the floor and then hanging around waiting for him to notice you - some kind of verbal interaction has to have taken place anyway :laugh: ) and has gone onto the consolidation stages in showing the prospective long-term mate she's a keeper on the domestic front - like a mum...

I won't expect you to understand all that given your comments about dry cleaning etc *pats your head very hard*, :rolleyes: but ask your wife and she'll explain better than I can perhaps ;) A golem would certainly understand the trouser-pressing, newspaper smoothing etc because that's practical - it has nothing whatsoever to do with being in love or fancying you are, even if you're capable of having those emotions :laugh:

Like males, the last thing on a female's mind whilst they're falling for a love object is putting slippers by the fire and keeping the glassware shiny - plumping cushions perhaps, but only in the bedroom and they're about to or have just squashed them up a lot and plumped away on them without the 'L' :twisted: In present day Britain (and the US I daresay) doing the domestic chores is strictly something that couldn't happen until a couple are at least 'going steady' but in the equivalent time-frame (vaguely victorian/dickension) domestic bliss was something that didn't come into the courting equation in any way until after the wedding (or at least co-habitation as even then a piece of paper wasn't always needed). Then, yes - being a domestic godess was a proper expression of love or if they were rich enough the ordering the servants to do it.

Trust me, on this basis whatever romantic mush Gladys was reading away from the PO ladies domain, she would have been reading about post-marital, maternal or servant duties. Professional pride was wounded at the most (aside from the comedy aspect naturally) - golems aren't that naive and if she was, well what you don't know you don't miss. She'll have got over it quickly enough :p
My reading of this whole subplot was that Gladys is, as we've said, very easily persuaded when it comes to instructional literature (we see this at the end when Adora takes it upon herself to re-educate Gladys). The material Gladys was getting from the counter girls - books of etiquette, glossy magazines and the like - were written with the tone and deeply-internalised patriarchy* of the 1920s-1960s; a time when a man's secretary certainly *would* be expected to press his trousers and make his lunch, and when women in the workplace were routinely pressured/expected to develop sexual or romantic relationships with their bosses. To my mind this fits quite neatly with the whole world of banking that Terry's broadly trying to parody - one which up until the credit crisis was popularly depicted as pinstripes, long lunches and a workplace culture at least 30 years behind the rest of the world ;)

*Not to say we don't have deeply-internalised patriarchal attitudes today, but that's a whole other thread...

francis

May 2, 2012
LilMaibe said:
Hello and welcome to the site.

Depends on who you ask the answer to that question will either be 'yes' 'no' or something along the lines of 'RRRAARRGHFUIVh HOW Dare U critzice Sir Terry!??! Hes the bestest outhur EV4R!!!1!11!vufguuvkuefvc! '

My answer would be:
No, you did not miss anything. The ending to MM did feel rushed and forced, recycling ideas from Feet of Clay, Interesting Times and Going Postal to a degree and not caring much about the previous charactertraits that made Moist a very neat addition to the cast originally.
Thanks! But bouquets as well as brickbats, you know...

I really, really liked that short scene in Vetinari's carriage where he hands Moist the swordstick and asks the golems' secret. Moist is understandably puzzled, but to my mind it's such a beautiful resolution of Vetinari and Moist's relationship.

Call it conjecture if you like, but we've seen throughout GP and MM that Vetinari detests brutality and force in his dealings with Moist (for a relative value of 'force'). The most obvious one has been mentioned earlier in this thread I think, where Moist tacitly accuses Vetinari of killing the widow Lavish. Vetinari even says he's "extremely angry" at the insinuation, which is practically unheard of. And of course there's Vetinari's portrayal of himself as Moist's 'angel' and the repeated asides about tyrants. Yet throughout we see Moist on tenterhooks, convinced that Vetinari will have him dispatched as soon as he is no longer useful.

So what does all this have to do with the swordstick? Vetinari offers Moist a naked blade, then asks - asks - for the key, when he in fact already knows the answer. This little pantomime is about trying to momentarily balance out the power dynamic between them, so that Vetinari can prove to Moist that he is not a monster. Vetinari has no desire or inclination to threaten Moist with harm, because he knows he doesn't need to - Moist is an intelligent and above all civilised man, for all his rakish ways. Perhaps Vetinari even feels a kind of avuncularity towards Moist, both of them being experts at reading and manipulating people.

In fact now I'm really out on a limb, but Vetinari is getting on in years. With Moist, he's taken in a fellow trickster (Moist describes Vetinari at one point as the greatest con artist of all) and forced him to get to grips with a complex city infrastructure while instilling the values of public service and pushing him into quasi-political appointments. And I can't help but notice this is all juxtaposed with Cosmo's preening superficial understanding of what it is that gives Vetinari his power. Is Terry slyly trying to indicate that Vetinari's quietly grooming Moist as his successor?

barrie

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Shoreham By Sea
www.etsy.com
rockershovel said:
I didn't enjoy MM as much as GP, mainly because they were too similar.

As for the ring, I'd always pictured Vetinari having one, because it would be entirely in character for someone like him to have one and use it regularly.
Sorry to jump in unannounced but I thought I might share the story of the ring..

I was asked to make this ring in early 2006. Declined for various reasons but was finally talked round in 2007. The brief was to make a ring to resemble 'stigium' a dense black metal that sucked the light out of the world. Had to have a V engraved and be used as a seal ring.
Made them and they were sold through the Cunning Artificer. From memory (which is hazy these days) I think the ring has been mentioned earlier (although it may have just been something mentioned by Terry in passing).

Anyway I made 3 rings for Charles Dance to wear in GP so I assume if they make MM into a film they may well use these rings.

Back to your discussion and for my 2p I enjoyed GP and think of it in my top 5 books, however MM was a complete letdown, full of small plot holes, hastily wound up threads and a fair few mistakes... Wernt too keen on UA either and Snuff didn't light my fire either...

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
Re:

ChristianBecker said:
Isn't it Vetinari's sealing ring?

Edit: Does it somewhere in the book actually say that the real Vetinari indeed wears that ring.
It could also be a rumour that he has such a device and people like Cosmo would be likely to fall for it.
He keeps that ring in a black velvet-lined box and takes it out only if he wants to seal a letter, doesn't he? He doesn't seem to me like someone who wears any decorative things, especially not the dangerous ones- it would be illogical.. My personal theory says he received it as a gift from someone.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
francis said:
Hi folks,
Wayyyyy late to the party I know, but I've only just read MM and the court of inquiry scene really threw me for a loop. Basically Moist, who spent the entirety of GP coming to terms with the damage his criminal past has caused - not least to Adora, who lost her job, her inheritance and her father to his defrauding and the resulting run on the banks. Not surprisingly, she thought he was utter scum until he managed to convince her he'd changed his ways.

Yet in MM he cheerfully brushes off those crimes as no big deal - I don't have the text in front of me, but something along the lines of it being the banks' own fault for not catching on. This in a room where we're told Adora is sitting right in the front row - Adora, a woman who attacked bloody Detritus the day before in a fit of pique - and yet there's no apparent fallout at all!

I'm the last person to jump on the Moist-bashing bandwagon and I really like the turn Terry's taken towards nuanced characterisation and commentary, but that one felt like a real clanger... or did I miss something here?
Adora lost her job because of moist, but it was Guilt that did everything else. and he didn't place blame on the bank for what he did. actually he didn't talk about them really at all in the trial. what you are thinking of is him basically saying the people he defrauded were trying to defraud him. that was in reference to all the smaller cons he's done, not the bank. there was nothing there for her to get upset about.

And him just blurting it all out, yes a bit casually, was because of Cosmo and Moist's former partner who were trying to use Moist's past as leverage against him. He needed to regain control of the situation. Coming clean the way he did was the only way to rebalance things in his favor. He was taking a risk Vetinari would throw him under the carriage, but he didn't have many options.

barrie

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Shoreham By Sea
www.etsy.com
Tonyblack said:
Welcome to the site, francis! :laugh:

And always good to see you barrie! ;) What metal did you use for the black rings? o_O
Originally we looked at some strange 'real' materials. from hard carbons that we could machine, through the not so normal Titanium and Tungsten. All of these were rejected as cost was way too high to make them available to the public..
Ended up using a 'trick' of my trade. Sterling silver, tarnished with liver of sulphur, then burnished with a brass brush to give a 'golden black' appearance, then plated in 18kt yellow gold. With the final finish of black rhodium plating which cost me £1000.00 a gram (and we didn't make enough rings to cover the cost). This gave the rich shimmery black colour and gave me headaches because of the cyanide and acids in the chemicals.

Was fun though. If i didn't have a family to feed I might have carried on. We had planed to make the Death ring in lots of other metals to add to Terry's collection. Wont happen now, news a fan not a business to produce this sort of stuff.

User Menu

Newsletter