Making Money

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well I've read Making Money twice now and was disappointed. :( Going Postal was excellent, but Making Money (as far as I'm concerned) isn't as good. I'm desperately trying to think why - I'm doing a discussion of this book on the Discworld Stamps Forum at the beginning of next month and I need to try and work out why I think this one doesn't work so well.

I'm afraid that despite my earlier post saying that Terry's books often get much better on a second read - this one is an exception.

Jul 26, 2008
well after the first one came out, i thought i hope there no more of this series, didnt enjoy it very much at all, but the second one well thats a different matter. i really enjoyed it, probably to me it seemed like he was writing in more of his old style, which to be honest i prefer, so, if another does come out. well i'll pass that judgement at the right time.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
And that's how it should be. It wouldn't do at all if we all agreed - I actually prefer Terry's later writing style and that's one of the problems for me with Making Money.

Having said that - even the worst of Terry's books if tons better than a whole lot of other writers. ;)

Jul 26, 2008
I dont think theres one book of his you could put in that catagory, even his off ones, if there are such a thing are good, even where my cow is an enjoyable book to read, my little un loves it too and shes 4 :laugh:

douglind

Dec 28, 2008
Scotland
I just finished reading Making Money - it is my first Terry Pratchett book and will certainly not be my last :)

The book was hilarious - I couldn't put it down. If, as some people suggest, Going Postal is even better then I am really looking forward to reading that one :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
douglind said:
I just finished reading Making Money - it is my first Terry Pratchett book and will certainly not be my last :)

The book was hilarious - I couldn't put it down. If, as some people suggest, Going Postal is even better then I am really looking forward to reading that one :)
You've got some real treats in store! ;)

Welcome!

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I agree with the negative comments about MM. I thought Going Postal was a far superior book.

Of all TP's books, I'd rate MM and Monstrous Regiment as the least enjoyable (but still way ahead of other books)

blobski

Jan 13, 2009
Brighton UK
Hi there, I'm very new to this, but have just finished MM, now need to get a copy of going postal. I Loved the character of Arnold/ Moist, yet another of Terry's amazing observational people, but I can't shake David Tennant in a gold suit out of my head now!. I'll have to see how it compares to GP. On the comments about least liked, I have to announce I didn't like The Truth, it smacked of paying penance to Terry's alma mater of journalism- Just my take on it, and great to hear eveyone else's perspective. keep on clacking.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi blobski and welcome. Yes, do check out Going Postal - it's easily a better book than Making Money - at least in my opinion. I know a lot of people think otherwise, :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It occurred to me the other day that if you think of Making Money as the second book in a trilogy, then it might nmake a lot more sense. Terry is supposed to be writing another Moist book and maybe some of the stuff in Making Money will make more sense in there.

Or maybe not. o_O

Nienna

Lance-Constable
Dec 15, 2008
Northern Ireland
It's funny - I picked up Making Money a few weeks ago and had it finished in a jiffy. I was so entertained the whole way through and enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down. But with Going Postal, I only managed to get about 1/4 of the way through the book before I gave up, and I don't really remember any of it. o_O I remember feeling as if it was a bit of a labour to read.

However, that was when I was finishing uni, so it might just have been that I was a bit stressed out then and didn't have much time on my hands for proper reading, so reading all these comments has made me determined to give it another go. If I liked MM so much, I'm sure I'll love GP! I'm also interested to see whether having (properly) read MM first will have an impact on which book I think is best. :)

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
I always read any new Pratchett twice in succession due to being a naturally fast reader. I'm glad I did as my opinion of 'Making Money' changed dramatically after the second read through.
Apart 'from Monstrous Regiment' MM's the second book I ever felt disappointed with. It just didn't seem to grab me the way every thing else had done...the whole Cosmo/rotting finger thing...gross!
But...after several more attempts I realise it's another class act. I like the interplay between Vetinari and Moist and the relevation of a more cerebral side to Vetinari was a joy to read. I'm waffling aren't I?:)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Oddly enough I didn't much care for Monstrous Regiment on the first reading, but really loved it on the second. But with Making Money I just couldn't warm to it at all on the second reading. o_O

User Menu

Newsletter