MANGA

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
mystmoon said:
i read oh my goddess, but i'm not into harem mangas (or at least...not female harem mangas) so i got a bit annoyed with it, same as Love Hina or Negima!

Ouran High School Host Club. Now THERE'S a good harem manga :twisted:
I love the Ouran Manga :laugh:,I'm sad it's finished :(

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
Damn, quite the statement Friede. You'd HATE Tezuka then since he's the one that made that popular (note: Tezuka is the father of manga and loved the Disney style. Hence the reason why most manga and anime is like that).

Not all manga has that though. Most, but not all.

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Beyond Birthday said:
Damn, quite the statement Friede. You'd HATE Tezuka then since he's the one that made that popular (note: Tezuka is the father of manga and loved the Disney style. Hence the reason why most manga and anime is like that).

I have kids myself. When I see a manga I see my kids doing this stuff, and that disgusts me more than anything else.

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
BaldFriede said:
Beyond Birthday said:

I have kids myself. When I see a manga I see my kids doing this stuff, and that disgusts me more than anything else.
If it does not have the childlike faces I don't call it a "manga". It is just a comic then. What makes a manga a manga is the combination of childlike faces and adult acts.

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
That part I don't agree with. That's like saying all American comics are about superheroes or that all 90s comic books look terrible: that may be the majority but that doesn't define it.

Wait...*click* *click* *click*

Okay, according to Wikipedia it turns out that what you mentioned does more or less define manga. Oops.

So, wait, what does that make Lupin III? Anyway there are still plenty of Japanese comics that are good, you just have to try a lot harder to find them. If you only like hero comics, though, I can name several.

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
poohcarrot said:
There are no Japanese comics. There is only Manga. Manga means Japanese comic.

You can't say you don't like manga but you like Japanese comics because they are one and the same thing. :laugh:
I am aware of that. However, when we speak of "Manga" we don't mean any Japanese comic (at least i don't) but a certain kind of comic.

User Menu

Newsletter