merlin new series on bbc1

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Oh dear.

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't have a TV set and therefore don't need a licence.

I've seen the clip of this and my thought was - Merlin goes to Hogwarts.

Everything about it is wrong. The period is wrong - Merlin and Arthur were around during the Dark Ages - NOT medieval times. There weren't castles then as most of the castles in Britain were built by the Normans (to protect themselves from the Scots and Welsh).

And the castles in the clip are quite obviously NOT in Britain.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see a decent series made about Arthur and Merlin (even if it is unlikely that the two ever even met) but this is just Saturday evening fantasy for the kiddies.

I hope I'm wrong and it's really good - but the BBC made a complete balls up of Robin Hood and I don't suppose they'll do any better here.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
its called escapism tony just sit back and enjoy and dont take these type of series to seriously. you should go on the doctor who forum jeez they take it seriously. its only a program :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TheMole said:
by the way, what do you think about Boorman´s "Excalibur"? I quite like it ;)
So did I - I thought it was excellent not as a historical retelling, but as a very good adaptation of Sir Thomas Malory's book 'Morte D'Arthur'.

And the musical score was amazing too - but then I'm a sucker for Classical Music. :)

User Menu

Newsletter