Merry Xmas Everybody - the schmaltzy Xmas video thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:
Instead of being told what to listen to by record companies bribing djs and manufacturing bands, for once the power is with the people.
But they dropped the price of the track so they were actually making a loss on it, just to beat the X-Factor to number one. Not very confident of winning then, were they?

How about... people really do just buy the songs they want? Or does that sound crazy?

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
poohcarrot said:
("their" :oops: :oops: :oops:)

A sad day for the music industry? My bottom! It's the best thing that could have happened, ever!

I love this song!
Sorry Pooh on this issue we will never see eye to eye. Making records with obscene language was an easy way to get a No1. The BBC quite rightly banned them from their playlist and the only way you could hear them was go out and buy them.....Result a piece of garbage became an instant hit. They only stayed at No 1 for a week but they deprived a proper musician who had written decent lyrics, written the music and arranged the score from having a well deserved No. 1.

Punk was exactly the same. A punk band NEVER played managed to play any song the same way twice as they couldn’t read music. They never went out on the road to LEARN their craft. They were manufactured in just the same way as the hapless idiots who actually believe that an appearance on X Factor is going to turn them into a superstar over night.

As for the rabble at No. 1 today......I listened to them today and I’ll never listen to them again. I’m sorry Pooh but I’ve played in two or two amateur bands and spent hours driving to a gig, more hours setting up and then 2 hours playing before reloading the van and driving back home. I’ve listened to whatever their called and there isn’t a member of that ‘’band’’ who would have been allowed to sweep the back of our van out.

What happened yesterday was nothing more than a handful of mindless idiots manipulating figures and in my book that’s not playing fair.

The last thing UI want to do is to fall out with you Pooh but if whatever they’re called ever do a sell out world tour and sell 100 million albums I will eat my words.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Not a video, but I rather liked this poem that I got today. :laugh:

TO: God.Com
Dear Lord,

Every single evening
As I'm lying here in bed,
This tiny little Prayer
Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm
And safe from harm
For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do;
Hope you don't mind me asking,
Please bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's unusual
To Bless a motherboard,
But listen just a second
While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds and ends;
Inside those small compartments
Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give,
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you.
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendships grew.

Please take an extra minute
From your duties up above,
To bless those in my address book
That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each e-mail inbox
And each person who hits 'send'.

When you update your Heavenly list
On your own Great CD-ROM,
Bless everyone who says this prayer
Sent up to GOD.Com

Amen

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Morty said:
I’m sorry Pooh but I’ve played in two or two amateur bands
That should have read One or Two amateur bands......Due to circumstances beyond my control at the moment I sttttttttttutter quite badly.....PMSL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Oi! - who lowered the tone in here! :rolleyes: Supposed to the season of goodwill etc etc. :eek: :twisted:

Smartypants and Mortypants - stop yer point scoring and go back to being hippies FFS :laugh:
The whole Xmas No 1 thing is completely bogus anyway and it's always something naff. Whilst I'll tacitly support anyone who's prepared to rub Simon Cowell's face in something cruddy and preferably toxic, I'm certainly not going to be railroaded into buying something I don't particularly want by somebody I don't know (or wish I didn't in SCowell's case) and, having listened to both records (for free) never wanted to know about in the first place. I happily went for however many months it was (22 possibly - X-Factor seems to time-warp it's gestation period of foisting 'real talent' on us to elephantine proportions) managing to make my own little protest against this total waste of time by not watching more than about 2 minutes of the entire wretched, venal and brainless competition... :x And - even more annoying - that was only because it was also on flaming GMTV or This morning every sodding day :devil:

And they should never have got rid of Sharon Osbourne either! :twisted:

HOWEVER...
Morty said:
Punk was exactly the same. A punk band NEVER played managed to play any song the same way twice as they couldn’t read music. They never went out on the road to LEARN their craft. They were manufactured in just the same way as the hapless idiots who actually believe that an appearance on X Factor is going to turn them into a superstar over night.
Ooooo! I didn't think I would want to slap anyone as hard unless they were called pooh! :laugh: What a very silly thing to say! :p OK so some of them weren't that great, but what about The Clash or Siouxsie and the Banshees or The Stranglers or X-ray Specs or Patti Smith. OR Sid Snot! :laugh: Forget the sodding Sex Pistols - they were a stunt, but some of the less prominent members went on to play for Adam Ant and Culture Club (I should wash my mouth out I know ;) ) but they could play their instruments and were perfectly decent musicians in anyone's reckoning. And anyway Rotten and Vicious were 'art' not 'pop stars' anyway *makes rude arty noises* :p

Anyway - I'll eat my words for making my own sweeping and incorrect (sometimes) statement about all Xmas No 1's being naff - here's one that was 'art' (well Mike Myers said it was... :p ) AND it was one with royal approval... :twisted:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Sorry Jan even you won't sell Punk to me :oops:
The Stranglers and X Ray Specs......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I need to lie down and listen to some Pink Floyd 1967 - ;)

Don't forget The Ramones!!!!!!!!! I Wanna Be Sedated!!!!!

Merry Christmas, and Happy week to all. I realize it is all commercialized crap to a large extent, but, the communities around our small town are coming together more and more in tough times with more food baskets for those in need. AND I made a mega-pressie for a 17 year old girl... 5 pressies all wrapped separately, and all designed for happiness (3 pair of pretty earrings), good feelings (a pair of very fuzzy socks and slippers to match & a fuzzy bathrobe), good times (a playstation 2 game of Guitar Hero III, she Has to know someone with a ps2), and girl power (a box of fun and odd books about Warrior Princesses and good Fantasy)

When Hubby and I dropped it off yesterday the room was Packed with beautifully wrapped pressies for all ages.

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Don't forget The Ramones!!!!!!!!! I Wanna Be Sedated!!!!!

Merry Christmas, and Happy week to all. I realize it is all commercialized crap to a large extent, but, the communities around our small town are coming together more and more in tough times with more food baskets for those in need. AND I made a mega-pressie for a 17 year old girl... 5 pressies all wrapped separately, and all designed for happiness (3 pair of pretty earrings), good feelings (a pair of very fuzzy socks and slippers to match & a fuzzy bathrobe), good times (a playstation 2 game of Guitar Hero III, she Has to know someone with a ps2), and girl power (a box of fun and odd books about Warrior Princesses and good Fantasy)

When Hubby and I dropped it off yesterday the room was Packed with beautifully wrapped pressies for all ages.
Now thats what I call the real meaning of Christmas.
I'm sure the young lady will be thrilled with your gifts Tina.

Hope your Christmas turns out to be one of the best ever.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Lord Morty

I don't expect you to like Rage Against The Machine, but you of all people, should respect them.

They made a name for themselves because of their live shows, which are absolutely mind-blowing. I saw them at the Reading festival in 1993. I'd never heard of them before, but they were by far and away the best live band in the whole three days. I'm sure if you check any thread about the history of the Reading festival, you'll see RATM up there with the greatest performances.

Also if I had to bet, I'd wager that RATM HAVE sold 100 million albums worldwide. I know for a fact that they've had sell-out worldwide tours. If you check the video I posted, you'll see there have been over 10 million hits.

A RATM song was used for the closing credits of the movie "The Matrix". Just how cool is that? 8)

I like RATM. If you check my Bio in the Twerps Peerage thread you'll see that I have a RATM quote as my favourie non-DW quote. Also just two weeks ago I posted a picture of the RATM album featuring the Tibetan monk setting himself on fire and said it was a brilliant album. The very same album that the Xmas #1 comes from!

So Pink Floyd had a Xmas #1 and now RATM have had a Xmas #1.
The delicious irony of it all, is that both songs contain exactly the same lyrics! :laugh: Both songs are about "thought control by the powers that be", and both are inciting rebellion.

But no, I hear you say, Pink Floyd would never resort to using the "F" word merely to shock and sell records. Pink Floyd would never stoop so low. If you were thinking this, then you'd be dead wrong! :laugh:
From the Final Cut album, Pink Floyd released the single "Not now John" which entered the Uk sigles chart.
Isn't the first line of this song;

"F**k all that we've gotta get on with this."

PS Have a ----ing good Xmas! :laugh:
PPS I love you.
PPPS What are you eating for Xmas dinner? How about your own words? :laugh:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Sorry Pooh I’m not getting drawn into a difference of opinion of what you consider to be music and what I think it is on a Christmassy thread.

If RATFM have sold a Million records then I’ll gladly hold my hands and apologize to you and them. I’m sure it will come as no surprise to you that I won’t be making it a Million and One :laugh:

I will also admit that Pink Floyd did sell out when they reverted to using the shock factor on The Final Cut :twisted: . I, along with several thousand other diehard Floyd fans groaned when they released the single :twisted: :twisted: just as we did when ‘’Another Brick’’ was released as single :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Time to back off and agree to disagree I think, we are never going to reach middle ground on this issue and for the final time I’ll admit that’s more my fault than yours :rolleyes: . I’m a stubborn old git who will only listen to Musicians that I grew up with. I don’t understand modern music and have absolutely no interest in it. There are very few groups left from my era and in the state I’m in at the moment I wouldn’t put money on me outliving any of them but if I do and my last remaining favourite shuffles off before I do that for me will be the day the music died :cry: .

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
On reflection I was a bit hard in my attack on music I don’t understand :oops: so I’m grateful to Pooh for calling a truce 8)

To show how grateful I am I’ve been out and got some mistletoe and I’m waiting for you Pooh to make up with me properly :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To join in with getting back to the Christmas spirit my offering features the amazing voice of Darlene Love and Phil Spector’s unique Wall of Sound.

It doesn’t matter what time of year it is whenever I hear The Wall of Sound I always think of CHRISTMAS

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
Weird thoughts keep coming into my head at the moment. Uncontrollable thoughts and grotesque images so unspeakable it’s frightening.

As soon as I’d written RATFM this SUPERSTAR from the 1980’s came into my head. I have a horrible feeling I’m becoming a very sick person :cry: :cry: :cry:

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
This has nothing to do with Mariah Carey being absolutely drop dead gorgeous and I'm sorry but I've been doing the inserty thing ...... (making the long link into one word) all day and using my left hand to do it ....I'm too tired now but it is a cracking Christmas tune.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ymlnxMZkXA

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Morty said:
Cheery said:
It says "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country." :x
I hate it when that happens! It's the bleedin' internet! It's suppost to be international! :rolleyes:
Sorry about that Cheery try this version.....Also features Johnny Depp....Not that interests me I'm a man you know :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHDdawSjLU
It doesn't interest me, either :laugh:
But the song's quite catchy, isn't it?

Thanks, Morty! :laugh:
Sorry about that outburst before :oops: I was just so annoyed; youtube does this sort of thing all the time :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter