Moist Von Lipwig's Principles of Taxation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
Well, one of Adam Smith's principles of taxation is that it is easier to take money from those who have it, rather than from those that don't, I don't believe that moist will seek funds from Nobby or Ron.

A payroll tax on Igor's and Golems might be a money maker, but they don't seem to be paid very well.

Jul 26, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
Golems aren't really paid at all are they? I thought they were willing bondsmen within the terms of their chems?
The Golems do work and they work 24/7 and as I see it donate all the money to the Golem trust so they can buy more Golems.

Technically they should get tax back as all the money is donated but then if they don't tax them there's no rebate to give back...................

My brain hurts :laugh:

Jul 26, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
That's right Bogeyman - they do work all the time but they don't get paid as such. Definitely looking like rebate time :)
The free ones do get paid and they get paid money I am sure I read that o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
bogieman said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
That's right Bogeyman - they do work all the time but they don't get paid as such. Definitely looking like rebate time :)
The free ones do get paid and they get paid money I am sure I read that o_O
Constable Dorfl was the first to get paid and he used that pay (he doesn't need it for anything) to buy another golem and then the two of them worked to buy more. That's why the Golem Trust was set up. :)

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Dotsie said:
Wow, Trish, you've really thought about this haven't you!
You don't work in taxes by any chance?
No, I don't work in taxes. Although next season, I might. Maybe.

A friend of mine is a CPA --which is like a chartered accountant. Tammy's not a typical accountant. At all. You walk into her office wearing more than jeans and Harley T-shirt and you're way overdressed. ;0)

That's how taxes work here.
You get used to it.

Moist could impose levys on wages, number of vehicles per household, number of chimneys per household (don't laugh, this was actually done), etc.

A 1% wage tax wage tax was imposed here in Wintersville 15+ years ago, ostensibly to help support the police dep't, but 2 years ago, a permanent 1% levy (1 million dollars) was voted in on top of that.
Yeah, it is double taxation. And it is unconstitutional.

Before Moist goes about raising taxes, the whole issue of voting is going to have to be addressed. Which could be great fun, let's see what Crysophase lists as "income" and what he writes off as business expenses.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Trish said:
number of chimneys per household (don't laugh, this was actually done)
In England there was once a window tax, based on the number of windows in your house. This is why a lot of older houses (I think this includes the Bronte parsonage for example) have bricked up windows. o_O

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
In Plymouth (and Launceston too) there's still loads of Georgian houses and even quite 'ordinary' homes have bricked up windows...

In those days Plymouth, being a Royal Naval port and dockyard had some really rich admiralty types living down here (in those sensible days during the Napoleonic Wars and the little upsets out in the 'colonies' too ;) the captains were on a 'commission' for every enemy ship taken and/or sunk and so v. incentivised - plus the French have always been crap military sailors :twisted: ) so lots of money to spend on fancy houses. However - there are bigger pirates called The Inland Revenue about and they always get you in the end :p

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Another old thread to revive... I've been thinking that the Thieves' Guild is a natural to be recruited for the job of tax collector, as they are already accustomed to carrying identification and giving receipts. But maybe not, as there are limits on how much they're allowed to steal ("Only lawyers are allowed to steal that much!"). On the other hand, somehow I think Moist might do what he has done before, that is, do the opposite of the expected.

User Menu

Newsletter