Murderbot TV show optioned

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I am perturbed. I would guess that most of us remember when The Colour of Magic was made into a show because a rich older man paid for it so he could play Rincewind despite being forty years too old for the role.
Another more horrible example is A Wizard of Earthsea. Ursula LeGuin wrote a book in which all the characters were people of color. The TV show hired the whitest blond available to play the lead. I've read that LeGuin felt betrayed.
Now it's happening to The Murderbot Diaries. A rich blond white man has bought the rights so that he can both direct and play the lead. Murderbot repeatedly describes himself as average looking, unnoticeable in a crowd. Almost everyone he encounters is a person of color. There are perhaps two white people in seven books, and the latest one describes a group as being average, ranging from dark brown to light tan. There is no doubt that Murderbot is a person of color.
There are a very few people who are not described clearly, who might be suitably played by a white male, and one, Gurathin, is important enough and appears often enough to appease the ego of most actors. If the buyer switched to playing Gurathin, I would cheer. But this buyer wants to play Murderbot. He is also too old; Martha Wells has been quoted as saying that Murderbot is in its twenties.

I am expecting a travesty even worse than Earthsea.
Whitewashing Murderbot inevitably turns a story of found family into Mighty Whitey Saves The Day.
I just hope it fails and disappears without a ripple, ideally without being completed.

The actor/producer in question is Alexander Skarsgard ("True Blood") - I don't think he was aiming to direct, just produce and star.

For me, the announcement is definitely something to be wary of - because I think the books are quite difficult to adapt, given how much "action" actually happens within Murderbot's head, and its communications (via electronic means) with other intelligent systems. It doesn't speak out loud all that much, even to the humans (a lot of communication is done by means of 'the feed', i.e. an electronic communication network to implants in everyone's brain).

The other big thing is: Murderbot - and all SecUnits - are not gendered. Murderbot's pronoun is 'it', and that's what it prefers. So having a white male play the role does take away the perfect opportunity to have cast a non-binary actor to play this very definitely non-gendered role.

I do agree that a lot of the humans in the story are people of colour, but they generally do a good job of not describing anyone's appearance very much, so that race/gender/colour-blind casting could definitely be done for many of the roles.

I guess my one positive at this stage is that it's an Apple TV production - and they've produced a lot of really good shows lately: For All Mankind, Foundation, Ted Lasso, Slow Horses, Mythic Quest, Lessons in Chemistry...

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Yes, I mistyped, he won't be directing.

If you search for details, it becomes more obvious that hardly any characters are more than "pale" or "light". There are two that I can think of - one GrayCris executive (Exit Strategy) and the blue-eyed human taken over by the alien contamination (Network Effect).

User Menu

Newsletter