Nac Mac Feegle Dictionary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
Thankyou Tony unfortunately I feel self concious about reading aloud to myself !! Kind of like are people who happen to overhear me going to think I am a wee bit slow or mad :laugh:

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
Who's Wee Dug said:
Tina that is quite factual in Scotland in the older times,"The Crossin' 'o' the Arms" "The Tappin' 'o' the Toes" and the dreaded "Pursin' 'o' the Lips" by Jeannie when they have come home late. Oh! and the silent glare. :laugh:
So, of course, is Waily Waily. PTerry is showing his love of folk music (again):

O waly, waly up the bank
And waly, waly, down the brae
And waly, waly yon burn-side
Where I and my love wont to gae
I leaned my back unto an aik,
And thocht it was a trusty tree,
But first it bow'd and syne it brak,
Sae my true love did lichtlie me.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
high eight said:
O waly, waly up the bank
And waly, waly, down the brae
And waly, waly yon burn-side
Where I and my love wont to gae
I leaned my back unto an aik,
And thocht it was a trusty tree,
But first it bow'd and syne it brak,
Sae my true love did lichtlie me.
I think I understand all that except "lichtlie".
What does lichtlie" mean? o_O

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
When I did the obligitory visit to Europe BC (before children) I went all around. NO idea of what French is about. I could speak some German and since I had a grounding in a little Latin I even found I could understand some of the Italians..... THEN I went to Scotland. I felt like I had stepped onto another planet. I spent the first two days staring blankly and saying "Wot?" over and over. So they would just speak LOUDER... the internationally recognised way to get anyone to make you understand. Now don't get me wrong. I have the BEST memories. Friendliest people I have EVER met. I was a lone young waif of a girl and when they couldn't get me to understand I was taken by the hand and TAKEN to where they were trying to guide me (often running into thier friends along the way who would join in the crowd). I went around some museums in a group of 10 to 20 locals who had just followed us there... and then (still not understanding ONE word) there would be a huge arguement and much pulling and grabbing of my backpack whereupon I would end up at two different houses for dinner and a bed for the night. :eek: I didn't so much as tour around Scotland as much as get SENT around. I would be issued out of one house with a firm "No heres the adress of my sisters son's family. They will be expecting you tomorrow at noon and don't be late or they will worry!" I once tried to sneak off to a "point of interest" in one town when a car pulled up and a big burly man leaned out "Arh you D'Lora? Jackie rang me to tell us to keep an eye out for you and I am to take you there now for lunch!" Oh yes! I know about the toe tapping and the folded arms! :laugh:

No it didn't really shock me that much; its as much as my mother would have done as she would often drag home some poor young tourist to our house for the night and "feed them up" and the rest of the family would drop over to welcome them and the poor sods would be in a room of 20 people all arguing loudly about just where the poor German lad should head off to next. (Suddenly I understood the glazed over looks they had when they couldn't understand a word EITHER!). While we were debating if he should head north to the Reef and rainforest or out west to see the outback, HE most probably thought we were argueing if we should bury him in the front or BACK garden.

So end of the third day in Edinburgh, one lady (who had closed her shop to take me to her doctor as she thought I had a chesty cough that needed looking at) she was telling me about "The Royal Mall... sooo named cuz tis a mall from the castle ta the palace!" and suddenly it hit me. "Its a MILE! A MIIIIIIIILE!" She thought I was half-cut but suddenly the heavens opened up, sun shone on my face and as if by a miracle I could understand EVERYONE! There had been some sublte switch in my brain processing unit. Take a hard look at my Mr Bean avatar. Thats how I looked. I was almost dancing! She just thought I was delirious from my fever and since I collapsed a hundred yards later that confirmed it!

Like Tony I read the Mac Nac Freegles out loud to understand them. Then its easy.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I know exactly what you mean. There's a word for it (something like ear-aclimitisation, or something). I generally don't speak to native English speakers. When I meet one it takes a short while for me to get accustomed to their accent. At the DW Con, at first I had trouble understanding what Dotsie and Sjoerd said (Jan, WWD and the Mad Collector were no problem). But by the end of the first day I could understand. :laugh:

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
Almost Deldaisy, almost.

I normally give them a bit more of a billy connolly accent.

mind you I love the feegles and generally don't have too many problems understanding them.

I'm very fond of the bit in the tiffany books with the translation by Miss Tick, and the Pished, I'm assured this means tired. that made me burst out with laughter on the train home. I received some very funny looks then.

My trip in july/august last year through england and scotland was great fun, again the scots were a lovely and welcoming but I had nary a problem understanding them. At the william wallace monument in stirling I was referred to as Edward 'Longshanks' but the demonstrator was just making a point about why he was called Longshanks. me been the tallest there at the gathering standing a 6'.

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
thanks Deldaisy :laugh:

this is me been in lurker mode, I'll do nothing for ages then will post a couple of times.

btw did you walk the royal mile? I did very enjoyable walk

User Menu

Newsletter