Nac Mac Feegle Dictionary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thordoc said:
thanks Deldaisy :laugh:

this is me been in lurker mode, I'll do nothing for ages then will post a couple of times.

btw did you walk the royal mile? I did very enjoyable walk
I was very ill on the train ride to Edinborough. Coughing and stuff. A lovely Scottish girl asked if I wanted to lie down and offered me her sleeping berth (awwww). The conductor who was sort of lurking keeping an eye on me bringing me water said I could have a berth free.. but she still kept checking on me making sure I was okay. (awwww)

When we got to Edinborough she said she would love to show me around (I was feeling a bit better) and at 4am til after midday (when she had to finally had to catch the last bus to her town) she showed me around and told me allllll the stories up and down the Mile... and more besides.

The minute she stepped on the bus and I tried to unfold my map.... (read above)

She wrote when I got home and said she got into so much trouble for not bringing me home with her. (awwww) Then I lost her address. Her name was Jackie Brody or Brady. :laugh: But she did give me an address of one of her other relatives and I got passed on.

Thordoc

Lance-Constable
Nov 1, 2010
Australia
Great to hear that they were as friendly then as they are now.

Edinburgh is one of those cities that feels alive...I know it's a bizarre way of thinking, but I'm just bizarre

Although I was on the receiving end of a Glaswegian Kiss, (in Glasgow surprise surprise) but they were all very surprised and respectful when I pulled myself back up and reciprocated. 8)

Great times :laugh: :laugh: see I'm bizarre

Jan 12, 2011
Alas,Germany
I love reading or hearing"feeglish" or plain Scots.If I was a fish named Wanda,for me it´d be Scots...:laugh:
My Dad was Scots,and I loved to hear him speak it,although he had,being born of an English mother in Edinburgh of 1930,and then being sent to an English school(ouch!),trained himself to speak Oxford English.
I always used to badger him to recite "Wally had a wee white dog".
I think its a very literal language,interestingly enough,as Gaelic is so formal,isnt it?
It must be fun to read it out loud in a train though.Next time I´m bored,I´ll try that one!
For the teasers in the books,try the Online Scots Dictionary.(www.scots-online.org/dictionary)
I think lots of Scots is actually made up,by the Scots themselves! :laugh:
They enjoy puzzling Sassenachs,I guess....

User Menu

Newsletter