Nac Mac Feegles

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi tanwir and welcome to the site. :)

They seem to have a Scottish accent - but pinning it down to a particular part of Scotland isn't so easy.

tanwir

May 3, 2014
Lahore
So what happens when Terry's books are translated into other languages. It wouldn't make sense to retain a Glasgow accent. What would a German Nac Mac Feegle sound like for example?

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
tanwir said:
So what happens when Terry's books are translated into other languages. It wouldn't make sense to retain a Glasgow accent. What would a German Nac Mac Feegle sound like for example?
Well, I don't know what the Germans did, but the Spanish translators found a great solution for the Feegles' accent: they made them speak Galician, the language of Galicia (because the Spanish principal language is Castilian but there are other languages such as the Galician, Basque and Catalan).

Here you can hear the difference between Castilian and Galician:

Castilian monologue

Galician monologue

For me it's still difficult to understand the original Feegles, but the Spanish ones are hilarious! :mrgreen:

Mx

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Mixa said:
tanwir said:
Well, I don't know what the Germans did, but the Spanish translators found a great solution for the Feegles' accent: they made them speak Galician, the language of Galicia (because the Spanish principal language is Castilian but there are other languages such as the Galician, Basque and Catalan).

Here you can hear the difference between Castilian and Galician:

Castilian monologue

Galician monologue

For me it's still difficult to understand the original Feegles, but the Spanish ones are hilarious! :mrgreen:

Mx
Mixa, You can tell he is a Galician Feegle, because of his nearly Tartan tie. ;) :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Partly yes, with Cockney. But there are rules about being a "true Cockney". You have to have been born within the sound of "Bow Bells". That means the bells of St Mary-le-Bow, in Cheapside, London. But there are dialects all over the UK that have certain words and phrases unique to them.

User Menu

Newsletter