Names of Characters in Foreign Editions.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
In the book Mort, the character is indeed called Mortimer, which gets shortened to Mort. There's a bit when Death and Mort first meet:

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
'Uh,' said Mort, 'Mortimer ... sir. They call me Mort.'
WHAT A COINCIDENCE
Death is acknowledging that in some languages he is known as Mort, or in countries where words have sex - Morte. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tonyblack said:
Show me where, in the text of the books, it says that Detritus doesn't have a beard.
That's just artists' representations of what they think a troll looks like. Notice how very different Josh and Paul have drawn their trolls. ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
That's right Cheery, but I think that physical attribute didn't start until Men At Arms - or maybe Moving Pictures, as that's the first one Detritus had a featured cameo role and first met Ruby of course. The other trolls in that were fairly smart and mostly did stunt work, though Rock and Flint were aspiring to bit parts... ;)

I think one of the first things that Terry wrote about Detritus and Ruby as a couple was how dopey Detritus was when Ruby said he should be bringing her pretty oo-grah meaning flowers and he obediently went and got her a whole tree though it wasn't completely down to him as oo-grah just means any leafy plant :laugh: So the inference of dragging knuckles is there in spirit

User Menu

Newsletter