Names of Characters in Foreign Editions.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Death is female allright, here in Italy, but they resolved the problem of his identity by stopping translating Pratchett's books.. :cry:
now they only do a book here, one there, in no order, very few have been translated..

In true indonesian fashion the books tend to have teh same terms adn titles so you cant tell the difference without picking them up.
However,

The wee free men is 'pria cilik merdeka' which is fine, it just sounds funny to say. And cilik isnt often used for small; more often kecil.

And a hat full of sky is 'topi selebar langit' which according to my pocket dictionary means something like a hat that's a pamphlet of sky. 'selebaran' might supposed to mean chock full of information, so therefore selebar might just be packed with.

I tried Terry Pratchett and discworld in wikipedia indonesia and it comes up with nothing. The site i got this from said that TP spend too much time on his word processor. I did actually see teh Wee Free Men in indonesian once, its very odd cos no one here would understand the jokes.

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
Here are some of the names in Swedish...

Granny Weatherwax=Mormor Vädervax
Nanny Ogg=Nanna Ogg
Magrat Garlick=Viväcka Vitlök
Mr Teatime=Herr Kvällsvard
Hogfather=Grisefar
Rat of death=Rått döden
The Oh god of hangovers=Åh guden av baksmällor
Tiffany Aching=Tiffany Ledbruten
Perspicacia Tick=Klarsyna Mistel
Death=Döden

Books
Hogfather=Svinvinternatt (something lika Night of the hog)
The wee free män=Små blå män (blå=blue)
Witches Abroad=Häxor i faggorna

Ponder Stibbons said:
In true indonesian fashion the books tend to have teh same terms adn titles so you cant tell the difference without picking them up.
However,

The wee free men is 'pria cilik merdeka' which is fine, it just sounds funny to say. And cilik isnt often used for small; more often kecil.

And a hat full of sky is 'topi selebar langit' which according to my pocket dictionary means something like a hat that's a pamphlet of sky. 'selebaran' might supposed to mean chock full of information, so therefore selebar might just be packed with.

I tried Terry Pratchett and discworld in wikipedia indonesia and it comes up with nothing. The site i got this from said that TP spend too much time on his word processor. I did actually see teh Wee Free Men in indonesian once, its very odd cos no one here would understand the jokes.
Actually "topi selebar langit" literally translates to a hat as wide as the sky. Which doesn't necessarily contextually translates the title of the book, but in all fairness I can't find a better translation either.

I haven't read the Indonesian translation of the wee free men trilogy, though I'm not sure if Pratchett's humor would fly very well using the language. That said, I applaud the person who tried to translate his works.

Anybody else from Jakarta in here? We should meet up.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site indopratchettfan! :laugh:

I think it very much depends on the translator whether the humour comes across. I've heard that some countries have excellent translators.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Tonyblack said:
I think it very much depends on the translator whether the humour comes across. I've heard that some countries have excellent translators.
At the Museum of Curiosities recording, Terry also told of his early days as an author where the German publishers would slip soup adverts into his books without his knowledge! o_O (A bit like CMOT's attempts at subliminal advertising, I guess. Can you have subliminal reading?)

Welcome from me as well indopratchettfan! :)

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
I do french at college so i have been digging around the internet for a couple of french ones:

La mort-Death
La Huitième Couleur-The colour of magic(the eighth colour)
Timbré-Going postal("Post marked")
La Huitième Fille-Equal rites(the eigth daughter)

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Tonyblack said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Tonyblack said:
... in the Italian versions Death was a female as is the case in Italian mythology. This wasn't really a problem until Reaper Man. :laugh:
You read it in this very thread I think! ;) Crysania told us :laugh:
Indeed - but I'd also read it before that as well. :p
:laugh: it is female in Italy, but you don't have to search for mithology, it's just that the death is a female word. every word has a gender and "the death" translated "LA morte" is female, so they always talked about it as a woman, and as things goes, since men always dictate this things, Morte is often thought of as a sexy woman in black :rolleyes: o_O

Anyway they stopped translating many of TP's books, so they didn't have to change much o_O

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
another thing i've noticed is that mort is always called mortimer as that word is always used to refer to the reaperman so calling him "mort" which on its own means "dead" would cause confusion.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
unseenu said:
another thing i've noticed is that mort is always called mortimer as that word is always used to refer to the reaperman so calling him "mort" which on its own means "dead" would cause confusion.
o_O: who calls Mort Mortimer??in the French version?
it still was Mort in the italian version, though Death is Morte, so very similar.. but not so similar as in the French version...

User Menu

Newsletter