Nanny Ogg's cooking book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
At the Hogswatch celebrations in Wincanton, there would be various delicacies from the cookbook. To be honest, I was not impressed. The Slumpie was like something that was served up on school meals. The Wow-Wow Sauce was, frankly, pathetic. I like hot spicy things, so I was looking forward to trying something so potentially mouth-burning. This however was meh!

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
The Slumpie is in German translation "belly full" so it might just be meant as a poor peoples belly filler. ;)The wow wow sauce after all is indeed very tamed. At wiki.lspace.org the receipt sounds quite promising exept for the sulfur and that. Maybe we could recommend here, how to make a REAL roundworld WowWow sauce:)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Don't forget to add just a tiny drop of Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce. :devil:

I first heard of this thing in the mid-90s. It was then reputed to be the hottest sauce in the world, but apparently no more. Even so, It has been rated at 180,000 Scoville units, compared with 2,500-5,000 for Tabasco sauce. So be careful -- even though it can't kill anyone, you may wish it could. ;)

Having said that, the hottest chilli in the world is the Carolina Reaper, with an official (and eye-watering) rating of 2 million Scoville units. It even put one man in hospital after he ate one, so again -- be careful.

Personally, although I like a bit of pepper or garlic or even a touch of chilli, I am not fond of hot-spice-heavy foods. I just don't see the point of burning my own taste buds. *shrug*

This reminds me of Terry memorably saying that 'vindaloo' roughly translates as 'mouth-scalding gristle for macho foreign idiots' ... ;)

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
"This reminds me of Terry memorably saying that 'vindaloo' roughly translates as 'mouth-scalding gristle for macho foreign idiots' " :roflmao::laugh::mrgreen:
Reminds me on that story, my aunt told, she went to an Indian Restaurant in Berlin and wanted the meal "indian hot". Well, she was used to very hot meals but not THAT hot :eek: :mrgreen:. After all, my parents and her ate in Hungary a Hungarian Fishsoup and the staff watched for flames coming from their ears buy it did not came ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
LOL! :) Yes, there are many varieties of Indian food. Generally speaking, the food in the north of India is spicier than that in the south. A glass of milk is usually the best way to put out the fire. ;)

I love good Indian food (and in my home town, there are several good Indian restaurants), so they told me. I tried making some at home, and found that cream or (for preference) coconut milk, if you can get it, mellows out the food and gives it an extra piquancy. Very nice. :)

As for Hungarian food -- I haven't tried that (though I've tried using paprika), but I've eaten some samples of Russian food (e.g. traditional borscht), which can be spicy too. But a dollop of sour cream helps. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
It was probably a Phall Indian curry which is hotter than vindaloo, tried a small taste of it once it was that hot it numbed my lips near destroyed my taste buds, and that from just a small spoonful, a Madras is hot enough for me, but saying that it has been a while since I have had one.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Same here, Dug. I tried a small spoon of a phall once and couldn't taste anything for a couple of days after. My housemate ate the lot but ended up taking the next few days off work afterwards. We could hear his screams of pain every time he went to the toilet afterwards as well. :roflmao:

Madras is just about my limit of tolerance as well.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The fact that someone would eat really spicy things, just for the sake of eating them and knowing how much suffering they'd have to endure afterwards ... that's scary. :oops:

When I eat Indian, I prefer something more mellow -- spicy, yes, but not to the extent that I can't taste anything afterwards. ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
There are people who eat hot peppers to prove they are macho enough to do it, and there are people who eat hot peppers because they genuinely like the flavor.
I am neither.
However, I have in the distant past deliberately made what I know as 'crackle candy' which is sugar syrup made to foam and hardened so that when you eat it the thin bubble edges make tiny cuts all over your mouth. But it's sweet, and as long as you keep eating it, you don't notice the pain. When you run out of the candy, then you have to suffer a few hours until your mouth heals.
I imagine that is analogous to the hot pepper experience for the ones who like the taste.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
There are people who eat hot peppers to prove they are macho enough to do it...
Yes. That's known as "testosterone poisoning". ;)

...and there are people who eat hot peppers because they genuinely like the flavor.
Takes all sorts to make a world. *shrug*

However, I have in the distant past deliberately made what I know as 'crackle candy' which is sugar syrup made to foam and hardened so that when you eat it the thin bubble edges make tiny cuts all over your mouth. But it's sweet, and as long as you keep eating it, you don't notice the pain. When you run out of the candy, then you have to suffer a few hours until your mouth heals.
Yikes! :eek: Why does that remind me of the "Spring Surprise" chocolate from the Crunchy Frog skit? ;)

"...covered with darkest creamy chocolate. When you pop it in your mouth, steel bolts spring out and plunge straight through both cheeks." :devil:

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Yes. That's known as "testosterone poisoning". ;)

Takes all sorts to make a world. *shrug*

Yikes! :eek: Why does that remind me of the "Spring Surprise" chocolate from the Crunchy Frog skit? ;)

"...covered with darkest creamy chocolate. When you pop it in your mouth, steel bolts spring out and plunge straight through both cheeks." :devil:
Ewwwwo_O That surely would be an ingredence for a Wow Wow Sauce made by the Assassins Guild :devil:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Eh? I don't understand. It's a chocolate, not a spicy sauce. ;)

Besides, the "Crunchy Frog" skit is about how, in the old days, companies didn't have to reveal the ingredients of their products. Then a new law came along and they did, which led to all kinds of horrifying revelations. ;)

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Followed the link...ah...the infamous Montys :mrgreen: that chocolate might be even more wavy thin :devil:
Anyway, I could imagine a quite fitting round world version of the Wow Wow Sauce like that:
Apple vinegar
Pickled cucumber
Capers
Mango
Figs
Hot mustard
Durian fruit (Earths pendant to the wahoonie, I think)
Piri piri or any other REAL hot chili pepper;)
Nitratesalt
Worchestersauce
Garlic

Might be tasty, huh?

Katinka Koschka

Lance-Constable
Jan 5, 2021
Berlin, Germany
For me the real problem would be, how to get in Germany a Durian Fruit and even if I get some of it, remembering to avoid alcohol whenever I would use the sauce, because the Durian makes tummy trouble with C2H5OH :eek:
After all, I am not one of those like my aunt, a nice burn on the tongue is ok with me, but not those mouth burner that make you steam out your ears and long for a fire estinguischer:mrgreen:
So the quite realistic version of the Wow Wow Sauce woult have Jack Fruit instead of the Durian and "Bishop's Crown Chili" from our own balcony/garden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop's_crown
:)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter